How not to die as Fade Part 2

elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
Some of you might remember I did a part 1 a long long time ago when the fade was overhauled quite a bit. Based on the feedback I got from that, I've always wanted to actually make the promised part 2 but was too busy gorge whoring for months.

Well, I finally got around to putting a few hours into it this weekend. So happy early Christmas present from me to the greenies i guess? yay! If you're totally absolutely new to fade, I still recommend you watch part 1 first as I'm not going into detail the fundamentals of fade movement in part 2 which is supposed to be combat based.

Comments

• JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Thanks for the tips prince of Bel-Air.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2013
    Jekt wrote: »

No prob. Maybe after this pubs will be enjoyable for you because everyone is on your level and higher.

Everything I do is for you my love
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited December 2013
    elodea wrote: »

No prob. Maybe after this pubs will be enjoyable for you because everyone is on your level and higher.

Don't be silly @Elodea , we passed that a long time ago.
    Who even fades anymore? Lerk is where it's at.
    Sadly this seems to be the case now with the current state of the Fade...
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited December 2013
    Y u no link to phil?
    @jekt not aus for sure, scrimmed them earlier, killed 4 lerks. 0 fades. Guiz, y u no fade. @mouse
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    This is the Aussie thread. Hey guys!

Nice vid Elodea :)
  • tummy_yummytummy_yummy Join Date: 2013-05-01 Member: 185073Members, Reinforced - Gold, WC 2013 - Supporter
    so is this what we're doing instead of asc v quactus
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »

Don't be silly @Elodea , we passed that a long time ago.
    Sadly this seems to be the case now with the current state of the Fade...

I wouldn't say sadly. Lerk provides effective support in addition to its killing role. Lerks can actually be killed by the marines, but thanks to their lower cost thier fragility is much more acceptable to the aliens. IMO fade falling out of favor in favor of lerk is good on all sides of the issue.
  • BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
    Can you tell me how to look at the speed stuff? What do type in the console? thank you pleash
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    cheats 1
    debugspeed

• BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members

It's helpful to have at least one fade on the team for body blocking phasegates, otherwise yea. :)
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members

Sadly true. Fade is probably the least useful lifeform when compared to all the other one.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Restore him to ns1 fade greatness and maybe people will take him seriously again.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    BentRing wrote: »
    It's helpful to have at least one fade on the team for body blocking phasegates
    Yeah, I was surprised when I saw that in the video... I would have expected the Marines to phase in behind the Fade. After all, this is the reason why Skulks shouldn't block phase gates, or at least it was...?

Why is it different with a Fade in front of the gate?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2013
    Because the "teleport marine elsewhere if exit is blocked" mechanic with phase gates is broke right now.
    You can do something very similar with a skulk right now, as well.
    Ah, the meat grinder..

Edit : though he does seem to be just out of range, when angled like that, allowing for an open space, essentially funneling marines.
    I don't see a problem with this.
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    coolitic wrote: »

Sadly true. Fade is probably the least useful lifeform when compared to all the other one.
    What? Unless you're just talking about competitive play, you guys are crazy. Good fades still demolish when teams are fairly even. Just demand a shift somewhere close to the action (hive with centralized gorge tunnels or a gorge-blocked hot zone) and you can go to town on marines indefinitely.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2013
    Karnaj wrote: »

What? Unless you're just talking about competitive play, you guys are crazy. Good fades still demolish when teams are fairly even. Just demand a shift somewhere close to the action (hive with centralized gorge tunnels or a gorge-blocked hot zone) and you can go to town on marines indefinitely.
    Actually it's true. When marines have decent aim, it's very hard to go on rampages as a fade.

Lerk is about trying to quickly gain winning advantage. Fade is about protecting RT skulks and delaying till onos.
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    This.

Buff(fix) fades plx.
    Why? When they are working "properly" they are unstoppable killing machines making every lifeform but gorge obsolete. They have ONE JOB, either they do it too well or else they are just an expensive liability. I think it might be time to rethink fade entirely.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Some fool decided this was to be a class based game at some point.
    mattji104 wrote: »
    Some fool decided this was to be a class based game at some point.

This made me laugh way harder than it should have.
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    Karnaj wrote: »

Actually it's true. When marines have decent aim, it's very hard to go on rampages as a fade.

Lerk is about trying to quickly gain winning advantage. Fade is about protecting RT skulks and delaying till onos.
    What is true? I quoted two people saying that no one fades anymore and that the fade is the most useless lifeform, respectively - to which I strongly disagree. I agree with your point that it's tough to fight marines with good aim, but there are other inexperienced targets to kill most of the time. You'd also be compelled to attack with your teammates if you find yourself in such a synergistic situation. In that case, you're not the only target for these good marines to shoot.

I still stand by my view that good fades demolish pubs when teams are somewhat even, especially on larger (20 to 24-player) servers. Fade domination may be more apparent during big updates and sales where rookies join en masse, but pubs are mostly full of rookies and casual, below-average players at other times either way. It's rare to see a lot of veteran/good players together at the same time, at least in NA central/east pubs. I'm guessing you're fortunate enough to play on servers where the majority are regulars and good players, so this might account for the difference in our experiences as fade.

I look up to you and your marine aim, elodea, but I don't think I've seen your fade gameplay before. You haven't seen mine either and I don't know how the "good marines" we face compare to each other. I just think that these people saying that the fade is useless have not managed to use it successfully yet.
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    :)

We both come from competitive background, and the games that we play fades are very fragile beings when actually played against people who can aim. It's a very thin balance now in the game, and the games are more decided on what you have there to support those fades. Keeping in mind most of the games we don't have access to all the imaginary upgrades pub games do, because of teams doing proper RT denial or the like.

In addition, when you look at it, fades are good for only one thing and thats killing, while the other lifeforms have supportive abilities or just do so much more damage to buildings, which is what wins the games anyways. You can only win games by fades alone if the team your facing is complete bonkers.

But i don't really want changes, or i don't really know changes that would make fades more productive and not OP at the same time. Game is perfectly fine for me in the current state.
  • co0kieco0kie Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167349Members, Reinforced - Shadow

I fade. Valk, Rantology, blink, colt and locklear fade. These are the more noticeably disciplined and experienced veteran fades in NA (besides valk cause he's EU). There's a small number of people in this game that actually know how to... With the recent buff of less energy per swipe, these veteran fades just got stronger. The community lacks people who can fade effectively. Posts like this, make it inevitable for fades to sooner or later become too buffed and then OP. Then its back to nerfing and changing fade movement again... (Proof from shadowstepping prior to 2.5 which was OP

People are stilling learning fade movement and to ask for a buff or to tell others avoid playing this life form, shows how inexperienced the community is with fades. I can spot a poop fade from a mile away whether its a pub game or a premiere division comp game. They'll do their walker fade, might as well call it the #thewalkerdead (pun intended. Too soon?) or blink up and then straight at you and sack their fade, thus believing fades are bad and need buffs but in essence, players need to ask themselves why am I walking with fade when their primary ability is to blink? Or why am I blinking into 2 shotguns? Why am I taking a meat shot and still engaging when I don't have carapace? Why am I #softyolo status? Energy conservation is also a big issue for a lot of new/aggressive/casual fade players and once they figure that out, they'll be on to something
    edited December 2013
    Me too. I've just been lerking in pcws recently. Didn't mean for it to be taken as a fade is useless sort of thing. The fades awesome. You took what I said a little too seriously.

I don't actually think its particularly underpowered. It needs a slight p.dmg or s.dmg buff. p.dmg to 81 to make A2 3 swipe instead of 4, or higher s.dmg to make not losing those skulks at a gate grind such a priority.

I agree with you that there are very few high quality fades out there, though.
    edited December 2013
    co0kie wrote: »

I fade. Valk, Rantology, blink, colt and locklear fade. These are the more noticeably disciplined and experienced veteran fades in NA (besides valk cause he's EU). There's a small number of people in this game that actually know how to... With the recent buff of less energy per swipe, these veteran fades just got stronger. The community lacks people who can fade effectively. Posts like this, make it inevitable for fades to sooner or later become too buffed and then OP. Then its back to nerfing and changing fade movement again... (Proof from shadowstepping prior to 2.5 which was OP

People are stilling learning fade movement and to ask for a buff or to tell others avoid playing this life form, shows how inexperienced the community is with fades. I can spot a poop fade from a mile away whether its a pub game or a premiere division comp game. They'll do their walker fade, might as well call it the #thewalkerdead (pun intended. Too soon?) or blink up and then straight at you and sack their fade, thus believing fades are bad and need buffs but in essence, players need to ask themselves why am I walking with fade when their primary ability is to blink? Or why am I blinking into 2 shotguns? Why am I taking a meat shot and still engaging when I don't have carapace? Why am I #softyolo status? Energy conservation is also a big issue for a lot of new/aggressive/casual fade players and once they figure that out, they'll be on to something

They can't get buffed or else they will overpower comp more than they already do, but they are too weak in pub or lower level organized play (compared to similarly skilled players with other lifeforms). Because of their extreme degree of specialization and high skillcap fade can ONLY achieve balance at one end of the skill curve or the other but never both. It needs to become more versatile in order to compete with other lifeforms at all skill ranges, or else the skill cap needs to be drastically reduced.