Big ups to dev team!

spongeboburuspongeboburu Join Date: 2013-09-30 Member: 188540Members
So, a few months from purchasing the Linux port of NS2 I can say that I feel I have bought the same product as the Windows users. It's rare for me to say this about games on Steam since the Linux port quality is "meh" at best for most games.

It doesn't crash, I enjoy the same graphics rendetion and features as Windows users, mods are loading fine, etc. F'ing splendid work guys!
In addition, you have picked up on the Steam forums (and here), listened to the community and acted accordingly. Yet another reason why indie games are to prefer.

You have my gratitude, and if badges are made easily available on Steam my money$ as well. From one hacker to others of the same ilk: job well done!

Comments

• GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    Actualy, you have yourselfs to thank for that.
    The quality in the feedback @ tech subforum have contributed alot i believe.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited December 2013
    Interesting, pretty much anyone i know who runs the linux port get's problems. I've compared the two on my computer and i get a full 50 fps difference between the linux port and my windows version. How did you get yours to run well?
  • spongeboburuspongeboburu Join Date: 2013-09-30 Member: 188540Members
    I'm using the proprietary nvidia drivers through optirun to run the game on a GTX 675M.

I haven't even bothered checking the FPS because it seems "smooth enough". Previous to 259 the game studdered quite a bit, but it was possibly connected to the memory leak issue back then and the crashing was more of a problem than the FPS.

The only issue I occationally run into has to do with, what I think is, the network protocol and the client side prediction. For instance, a skulk may bite me even though it looks like it's facing the other direction or a perfectly aimed attack will somehow not get registered as a hit, sometimes biting thin air will land me a hit on nearby marines, etc. Guessing this is the same for any platform tho.
    This may have become less of an issue with the new attack collision detection, haven't tested 261 enough.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2013
    There's still some Linux specific bugs that are very important to sort out before I'd personally recommend Linux users play ns2. I've marked them all high priority for the developers.

Definitely want to support that platform and that user base. Good people (and informative too like gisp said!) ;-)

But yeah still impressive for an indie team with very limited resources.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Lots of problems.. like.. this for example
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=196568662

But yeah still impressive for an indie team with very resources, but STILL! doesn't mean i can't shout smelly murder ey?
    I demand linux focus and scrapping of windows product! Roar!
  • warpedwarped Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186617Members
    I must admit, the Linux crashes i have been experiencing have been getting fewer and fewer each build.
    Mine tend to happen now after around 2 hours of continuous play. Compared to 30 mins in earlier builds.

Point of interest, I am unable to play the game at all on 3.12-1-3 and higher kernel. Having to downgrade to 3.12-1-1 to play. (Running ArchLinux)
  • spongeboburuspongeboburu Join Date: 2013-09-30 Member: 188540Members
    Warped, I have the similar issues with the 3.12.3 kernel and nvidia 331.20 where I cant play tutorial or sandbox.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    What are the benefits of using linux, I don't know anything about linux besides that it's preferred for hosting dedicated servers

Anything specific the OS is useful for?
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    ezekel wrote: »
    What are the benefits of using linux, I don't know anything about linux besides that it's preferred for hosting dedicated servers

Its free. :) That's all I know. lol
  • os2firefoxos2firefox Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185624Members
    Time to move to linux. woot
  • warpedwarped Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186617Members

Depends what you want out of an OS.
    It's free, pretty much 100% customizable, right down to the Kernel. If you are so inclined you can also contribute to it's development.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    If optimized properly it is possible to get more cpu performance out of Linux.
    edited December 2013

More powerful, more lightweight, more nerd friendly (HUZZAH)
    And generally, opengl, whilst less good looking to it's crappy microsoft counterpart, runs several times better than directX can and ever will. well unless it's ns2.

Also linux isn't 100% Free, there are some purchasable linux distros out there.
    anyway if you wanna port over suggest either ubuntu or linuxmint. leave archlinux for nerds who live inside terminals all day.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Linux has good performance. That's about the only reason I'd use it over Windows though. I'd rather just compensate with more RAM or CPU power and use windows then get away with less of both and use Linux. Would definitely recommend Linux for servers though.
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    correction.... the Linux OS may have better performance than windows, but games developed on windows in the first place usually have better performance compared to when they are ported to Linux.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Linux has good performance. That's about the only reason I'd use it over Windows though. I'd rather just compensate with more RAM or CPU power and use windows then get away with less of both and use Linux. Would definitely recommend Linux for servers though.
    I have an overclocked 4770k. I already have a lot of cpu power. I think of it like this. You can get 20-30% more performance on linux over windows. What if games were not gimped by windows and were able to utilize the full cpu power that Linux gives? What could devs do with that extra 20-30%?

I could also turn this around and ask what if Microsoft did something at the kernel level that game a 20-30% increase. I would rather keep windows but being a performance junkie that 20-30% is delicious.