Aliens need a better vision and a mini map.

swansongswansong mk Join Date: 2013-11-04 Member: 188985Members
For me the vision is like the same problem Batman AA had, where you need the special vision on but it ruins the graphics. I play with it on 100% of the time and it's really annoying because you really need to, but I would love to see the nice art work you guys put an effort into.

The other thing is the annoyance of having to press C for the map all the time... like what is that doing other than being annoying? Just give me a mini map, C is already basically that, only I have to keep pressing it and that isn't fun. I know someone will try to make an argument for it, but when you really sit down and think about it, holding C down isn't hampering you in any way, I can do that while doing other things... I just find it annoying.

Comments

• HobocopHobocop Join Date: 2010-11-23 Member: 75226Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2013
    Why do you think you actually need to have the current AV turned on all the time? I never use it at all since they changed it to orange everywhere, and just use the Minimal Alien Vision mod on the workshop.

Minimap simply doesn't give the same tactical overview of the entire map as the full-screen map does. That's why it's there, so you can check the big picture and respond appropriately. Bind the key to a mouse button or something so you can use it while running around.
  • SpaSpa Join Date: 2013-05-20 Member: 185301Members
    Ditto Hobo use minimal. The only time I play with it on and off is as lerk.

Having a full screen map helps to see where help is needed- and if it is about moving about the map after awhile you learn the locations and vent accordingly.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    The nerf was needed, it was stupid running around with green the whole time. Now you can enjoy 10 fps like everyone else. Unfair marines dont have a nanite vision (actualyl that's a great idea, highlights visible objects but makes it nigh impossible to see invisible ones)
  • CuelCuel Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181295Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Does anyone actually look at the marine minimap? I've logged 1200 hours and don't think I've looked at it once
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Cuel wrote: »
    Does anyone actually look at the marine minimap? I've logged 1200 hours and don't think I've looked at it once
    only to be cheap and scan a room quickly for a red dot :P hard to see corners are no match for line of sight of the minimap muhahah
  • BlackboxxBlackboxx Join Date: 2013-12-05 Member: 189791Members
    Imo the old AV was a lot better because it had a more "relaxed" color and a unique style i liked. The new one is pretty useless if the lights are on, because everything is kinda red - the contrast between the colors is too low, so I use it only if it´s totally dark.
    But red?? It´s such a strong signal color....never underestimate the psychological impact of colors....maybe it was intended, I don´t know. But I can speak for other ppl too when I say that I like to see it changed! :)

And yes, I use the minimap like RisingSun does, so I support the idea of giving the aliens a minimap too. But I also understand, that such a thing wouldn´t fit as good into the visual style of the alien-hud, as it does on the marine-side.
    Could be optional....and talking about the hud: The ability to customize it, like turning parts of it on and off, colors, size and transparency would be very welcome! ;)
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Why do you need a minimap and better AV when you already have a full map and parasites.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    Cuel wrote: »

maybe you should, im always looking at it or the command map if im not actively shooting something.they're both linked to marine sight, so my buddyspots for me, and vision lingers a bit after aliens leave lone of sight.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I play with it on 100% of the time and it's really annoying because you really need to, but I would love to see the nice art work you guys put an effort into.
    UWE actually removed the nice green anti-clutter Alien Vision and replaced it with the current garbage, exactly because everyone was running around with AV on. They wanted to force Alien to discard AV.
  • EucomolhamasEucomolhamas Join Date: 2013-03-10 Member: 183841Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Blackboxx wrote: »
    Imo the old AV was a lot better because it had a more "relaxed" color and a unique style i liked. The new one is pretty useless if the lights are on, because everything is kinda red - the contrast between the colors is too low, so I use it only if it´s totally dark.
    But red?? It´s such a strong signal color....never underestimate the psychological impact of colors....maybe it was intended, I don´t know. But I can speak for other ppl too when I say that I like to see it changed! :)

And yes, I use the minimap like RisingSun does, so I support the idea of giving the aliens a minimap too. But I also understand, that such a thing wouldn´t fit as good into the visual style of the alien-hud, as it does on the marine-side.
    Could be optional....and talking about the hud: The ability to customize it, like turning parts of it on and off, colors, size and transparency would be very welcome! ;)

I see UWE succeeded then, since they wanted the AV to be used only in dark areas :P

To the OP, you've never had to use the AV 100% of the time, sure it could help before the change, but I never used it outside of dark areas and it hasn't affected my experience with NS2 in any other way than getting some extra enjoyment off the textures