Dear Santa... all I want for Christmas...

2»

Comments

• joohoo_n3djoohoo_n3d Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164703Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited December 2013
    Falldamage. It isn't eclipse without taking damage from jumping down to triad. With the CLANNG when you hit the ground hard.
    shame the map makers & devs are still using ramps instead of ladders or ELEVATORS - shortcuts like that aren't good for the long run.
    elevators for hannukah please.

• killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    IronHorse wrote: »
    NeXuS wrote: »
    All I want for Christmas is...

Shadow Fade.
    Tada!
    This is either a cruel false tease, or the single most amazing tease ever. BUT WHICH IS IT
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    joohoo_n3d wrote: »
    Falldamage. It isn't eclipse without taking damage from jumping down to triad. With the CLANNG when you hit the ground hard.
    shame the map makers & devs are still using ramps instead of ladders or ELEVATORS - shortcuts like that aren't good for the long run.

I've tried it. Elevators don't work well with the game :(
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester

Shadow Fade.
    Tada!
    Silly, you. Y U no give me Shadow Fade? lol
  • NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold

Shadow Fade.
    Tada!
    Silly, you. Y U no give me Shadow Fade? lol

Because, NS1 Fade could mop the floor with NS2 Fade (and NS2 Shadow Fade) Any day :P
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    joohoo_n3d wrote: »

Aliens cannot cyst down ladders or elevators. Hence the map design you have seen in ns2. Also Chanukah is already over this year (Nov. 27 - Dec. 5).

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited December 2013
    Yet one more reason cysts are bad.

EDIT: Should say other reason, since it's not new.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    It is sad to know that remakes like bast (rotating door and ele) and nothing (ladders and ele) would be pretty hacked up if they were ever to be under-taken. Not like awesome community maps get much pub play anyways, though :(

But I understand the need and ultimately don't mind really at all.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    All I want, is for UWE to finally decide the balances instead of going back and forth with balance changes.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    coolitic wrote: »
    All I want, is for UWE to finally decide the balances instead of going back and forth with balance changes.

It took Blizzard 10 years to balance Starcraft 1... it's not an easy job that they can just "do" in an afternoon.
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    If you are coolitic all it would require is re-implementing the praise Jesus build that is 249.
    Scatter wrote: »
    If you are coolitic all it would require is re-implementing the praise Jesus build that is 249.

But wasn't that back during the rein of king fade-balls and the paper onos?
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    I want more small maps. I'm tired of huge 5+ tech-point maps designed to accommodate 20+ players. Give me a nice tight 4 tech-point map that is actually fun to play in a quick round having just 8-12 players.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Racer1 wrote: »
    I want more small maps. I'm tired of huge 5+ tech-point maps designed to accommodate 20+ players. Give me a nice tight 4 tech-point map that is actually fun to play in a quick round having just 8-12 players.

I have just the map for you.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2013
    Then eclipse is surely for you..
    Then eclipse is surely for you..

HE SPILLED THE BEANS!!!! BEANS!!! BEANNNNNNNSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'd rather have a fixed game, like better performance, better multithreading (esp on server), fixed hitreg, variable settings tickrate/updaterate etc.

Though obviously it's not the same people working on that then the same people working on eclipse
  • BobRossTheBossBobRossTheBoss Join Date: 2012-12-31 Member: 176824Members
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    coolitic wrote: »

It took Blizzard 10 years to balance Starcraft 1... it's not an easy job that they can just "do" in an afternoon.

The last major Broodwar balance patch was in 2001 with a bunch of bugfixes and small changes scattered over the years. The rest of the balance came from people making better maps and developing newer and more refined builds.

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @omega_k2
    Ugh.. why do (non competitive) people keep insisting there's issues with hitreg?
    Please.. provide a clear video @ 30 fps minimum with net_Stats enabled of actual hit registry issues and i will give you badges, fame, and glory.
    Otherwise, i call shenanigans! Its just a tight hitbox (moreso than any fps i've played) and you missing it.

I do agree with the rest of the things you pointed out, however, especially configurable update rates.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Hitbox is fine. Net code handling bullets on the other hand...that one's iffy, most of the time down to server performance...but some times I swear...
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @omega_k2
    Ugh.. why do (non competitive) people keep insisting there's issues with hitreg?
    Please.. provide a clear video @ 30 fps minimum with net_Stats enabled of actual hit registry issues and i will give you badges, fame, and glory.
    Otherwise, i call shenanigans! Its just a tight hitbox (moreso than any fps i've played) and you missing it.

I do agree with the rest of the things you pointed out, however, especially configurable update rates.

Oh I've played competive. Plus I've decent enough accuracy, doesn't change there are still issues with ns2.
    See here http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/133256/on-netcode-hitreg-lag-compensation-etc-compliation-of-issues/p1

I could also simply make wierd statements like you do; why these fanboys keep acting like there are no issues with ns2? Or how you fail to see that having played competive or not doesn't even make you good at the game, or at spotting issues with the game? Not all competive players are top level and the lower tiers are not miraciously better then a decent pub player.

I'm pretty sure the one issue nobody responded to also a cause of the hitreg akwardness, which is more prominent on higher player servers then on a 6v6 server (even on stable tickrate 30, but if you'd read that you'd see it's not consistent as in time-per-tick level). Also the other one which is probably due to interp (or collision), that on a close-call situation all pellets can simply miss/disappear.
    In the end it doesn't even matter where those issues originate for the end-user, as it comes down "I don't hit what I'm shooting at" or "I don't hit as much as I should" (with a given spot-on accuracy). Also, "I'm getting hit even though it should be not possible to be hit", which in short is "hitreg".

I'd hope to see many of these underlying issues to be fixed, but to be honest, I don't expect them to be ever fully addressed. Hell, even having them acknowledged by UWE or having a public tracker where we can see what's being worked on (or is ackknowledged) would be helpful.
    It seems like most of the decent changes are coming from the community anyway, but this is gonna be hardly possible for things that are at least partially related to the c++ engine.

Also I'd rather not derail this into a hitreg/netcomp/whatever discussion, I still do however wish for game with less annoying underlying issues.
  • cpt000cpt000 Join Date: 2013-08-28 Member: 187152Members
    Twig wrote: »
    ...... Is lots of full servers.

Let's whip these new recruits into shape

The good news is that since the HB sale, there has been a sustained increase in players...hope more people can discover NS2 and stay!

http://steamcharts.com/app/4920#1m
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    All I want for Christmas is an Onos With wings and the ability to blink
  • aYosaYos Join Date: 2013-01-14 Member: 179469Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    RapGod wrote: »
    you mean.. all you want for the holidays. Begin, the war on christmas!
    What other holiday is Santa apart of? I think Christmas was correct. Don't be so quick to try and act politically correct without thinking.