Issue with Framerate [SOLVED]

NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
edited November 2013 in Technical Support
I used to have a hitching problem until IronHorse helped me out. :) But now I have a more serious problem. It could be the hardware as its not amazing hardware but I've only had this problem for the last month or so. My specs: (yes, its laptop) :(

i7-2630QM 2.0 GHz (Turbo Boost 2.6 GHz)
nVIDIA GTX 570M 1.5GB DDR5 (latest drivers)
12 GB RAM

I run at 1280x720 resolution with everything off or minimal. While in the ready room and during "normal" gameplay, it is normally around 120-140 fps, but randomly it drops to anywhere from 15-40 fps for about 15 seconds even in the early game, making me hide and thus not helping my team. Should it happen in combat.....well, you know. I expect fps drops as its normal but not 100 fps. Any advice would be great. Thank you.

Oh, BTW, I dont believe it happens at all when playing in a combat mod server. While in a combat server, the fps range from 90-150 at times. I'm curious as to why.

EDIT: Here's a few screenshots with the profile enabled.

x8nIgo7.jpg

MJOEbJQ.jpg

As you can see, the fps drops become worse the longer the game lasts. When I first joined the game, the bars were red and very small. Then, that. ^^

Comments

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Game is your biggest hit directly followed by rendering.
    Find the biggest purple bars and expand them fully. While you selected the columns (the yellow ones) the shiny subinfo is in the purple bars.

2nd screenshot says waiting for update world job. So that entire part of the game is on ms due to waiting.
    The second bar which IS the updateworldjob is not fully expanded.

More expanded bars!
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited November 2013
    I'm not sure if I did this right but here you go.

First image was just a control shot. Running smoothly at 100+ fps.
    qeB9Xew.jpg

VadLG1q.jpg

hKDeZoL.jpg

YdSsJhv.jpg

CrW47HA.jpg

It's getting to the point of being unplayable. Please help.
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Bump. I also went ahead and used "r_stats" while playing.

U3CBQu4.jpg

9jasjUT.jpg
  • RoflcopterV22RoflcopterV22 Arizona Join Date: 2013-04-03 Member: 184616Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Does this happen on all servers? Or just a specific one?
    All servers. Even NSL servers when pugging.
    It drops even when standing still. This pre-game while waiting for commanders.

zLXAa16.jpg

JjDrAeh.jpg

Help, please.
  • rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Does this look familiar? I've got the same DrawIndexedPrimitives function slowing the game down (though it was prefixed with OpenGL:: obviously since I'm on Linux). I haven't found the culprit but it really could be throttling. Coolers are going louder and the game lags as hell, especially mouse and keyboard are way behind, temperature is ok but who knows. As said there, my workaround is to switch between fullscreen and windowed modes, maybe reinitialization of the device unchokes the GPU or something. This particular card had hardware issues (which I successfully workarounded) from the very beginning as I bought it so may be that's just another issue. I plan on buying x70 or x80 soon.
    edited November 2013
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I havent installed anything yet for plogs. @ironhorse, talk me through this once ok?
    I did not like your log on some points. Start by disabling and/or deleting all mods. Atleast one is trying to mess around with graphics.

Screenshots you posted suggest rendering somehow. (vidcard/drivers/opengl,directx, etc)
    However I doutb I saw all I wanted to see.

The purple bars have a number behind them. Like 66257. Thats the amount of time. Click the biggest bar(s) open.
    Now what are the next biggest bars? Remember, if a 66257 gets split in 2 of 30000 then we need to see both.
    Now on those bars, if you click them open? NOW what is the biggest?
    repeat till no more can be opened.

While you did click open big bars, you did not show ALL big bars, and the corresponding bars under it.
    edited November 2013
    I'm still not sure if I did this right. I expanded EVERYTHING under the large purple bars. I had to scroll to take all the screen shots.

FkeZIjQ.jpg

7VK4yVD.jpg

S0wSC3t.jpg

SE8HodG.jpg

8e9CdIp.jpg

cGTxMA8.jpg

And, yes, all mods were disabled and no programs like Mumble, TS, or Afterburner were running in the background. I would really like to get this fixed because I'm trying to join a comp team but I won't be able to as long as this keeps happening. :(
    Well I got it. I never used MSI Afterburner because everyone says it causes issues. I decided to run it just to see my GPU temps while in-game. It got up to 94 C at its peak. I cleaned out the fans really well and voila! Highest GPU temp next game was 50ish with the lowest FPS dropping to 45 for a split second during the late, late game with GL spam. So, that was it. Just a throttling issue. :)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Thanks for posting the solution!