Community content

NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
What if those beautifull sea creatures and maybe even the plants were something the community could help make. Maybe something similar to how the game spore or the flash game bubble tanks 3 does it. There is the official content made by the devs. Then the community makes content which can be toggled on and off in the settings.

THREAD 12

Comments

• NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Im pretty sure there will be another workshop section for Subnautica (Maybe a build/share your own Submarine, ect)
  • LuitjensLuitjens Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73034Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Yea, it would be awesome to generate new creatures, objects that could placed into the level... inb4 300 items + 300 new monsters pack! Haha
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Robust community content is definitely something we hope for with this game, as with probably all the games we will be making at UWE. The gameplay will lend itself much more easily to adding community content like new creatures, environment objects, etc, compared to NS2.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I'll count the days after release it takes until someone mods in the kharaa.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Robust community content is definitely something we hope for with this game, as with probably all the games we will be making at UWE. The gameplay will lend itself much more easily to adding community content like new creatures, environment objects, etc, compared to NS2.

Ah but what of custom levels? I understand you're using the unity engine instead of spark for this, and I have no clue what it would take (legally) to redistribute the tools to the community.
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Looking at KSP's modding model, I'm not very concerned about our ability to do this. Maybe not for 1.0, but definitely something we want eventually.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Not for 1.0 talk started already?! :D
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow

Silly man, They have already BEEN modded in!
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Benson wrote: »

Silly man, They have already BEEN modded in!

In this case I will count the days to release and set a big, fat minus in front of the number.
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Jekt wrote: »
    Not for 1.0 talk started already?! :D

The sooner the better :)
  • zbott105zbott105 Join Date: 2017-01-02 Member: 225902Members
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    What a Necro. I don't even remember making this thread. I think I was excited to have made the 12th thread on the Subnatica forums.