Every time I try to make a mod...

Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
I get shot down by needing to edit or at least follow functions that exist in binary and are unavailable to our plebeian eyes.

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2013
    ???

NS2Docs: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/112360/ns2docs/p1

Some ppl prefer to browse the code directly. Btw what do you try to do maybe we can give you a tipp where to look first.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Thanks for that link...Even still, I wish we had full access :(
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2013
    Hmm i still don't get it, ns2 is complettly written in lua so basically all gameplay related things are "open source". Only things we don't have access to are the spark engine codes and the luajit compiler code.

Basically you could write with the given tools a complete own game. Yet this would take alot of work.

So could you specify what exactly are your problems with modding ns2?

One thing i want to mention: Imho NS2 is not good to learn modding/coding with as the code isn't easy to understand and at many points quiet "messy".
    If you want to learn lua with a game i would suggest to take a look at gmod and this: http://maurits.tv/data/garrysmod/wiki/wiki.garrysmod.com/index7a06.html
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I wouldn't ever use lua if I didn't have to. It just seems that every time I'm trying to do something, I finally get to a function that I cannot find in files so dead end :|
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    if you are going back then you will eventually find the functions exist in the core folder, rather than the ns folder. If you place a copy of the core folder in the same level as your mod's root working folder, decode will be able to search and include the core files.
    If this is true...then I like you.
  • TurbineTurbine Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159160Members
    Modifying only certain client sided aspects is a little saddening.
  • RioRio Join Date: 2005-01-28 Member: 38716Members
    I wouldn't recommend it, but you can even "overwrite" Lua functions, which are defined by the Spark engine.
    edited December 2013
    Bumping this, currently trying to do something which changes the way the server treats incoming connection requests. Am I out of luck? Is this hidden in the engine code?

EDIT: 99% sure it is, fuck me, <thread title> got me again.
    edited December 2013
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Bumping this, currently trying to do something which changes the way the server treats incoming connection requests. Am I out of luck? Is this hidden in the engine code?

Not really hidden but yes thats something which is done by the engine have a look into SparkNetwork.dll
    Modifying the dll doesn't seem very distributable.
  • simple_simple_ Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188102Members
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Modifying the dll doesn't seem very distributable.
    How did you solve your problem?
    edited February 2014
    Dropped the project.

Shame too, would have been nice.
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    It would be helpful if you explained what you're actually trying to do.
    You can control a client and server's OnConnect events, so unless you're trying to work with some external Lua library and/or C lib stubs, I don't see what the issue is.
    Was going to make a proper queue system for the game similar to what BF3/4 (and many other games) use. That would require changing how the server handles a client connecting, and not adding them to the game unless it determines there is actually a slot available, until then they're kept connected to the server idling. I've spoken to people about it and they agree that the ideal method just isn't possible without access to engine code. Some work arounds could be done but they're just not worth it.