Steam Community Overlay Problem

_INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
edited November 2013 in Technical Support
I recently noticed, that Shift + Tab doesn't open the Steam Community Overlay anymore (since last performance patch). It works in any other game but NS2. I made sure that every necessary "Enable Steam Community In-Game" option is ticked: Steam settings and Game settings both. Any ideas?

This is bothering especially because in NS2 you have to be ready ingame to requeue fast if you want to join a full server and youre not the first guy in the queue. Because you get kicked from the queue with "Server full" message...

Edit: Wan't to point out that the server queueing is a joke. You can add a fair FIFO all you wan't, it doesn't work if all clients in queue try to join on free spot but only first gets it and everyone else has to rejoin the queue. Sorting will be completly new ... :(

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Your specs + log? Best would be a tech_support.zip.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    Here: tech_support.zip

Edit: upload finished.
  • CrowCrow Melbourne Join Date: 2003-01-16 Member: 12376Members
    I'm having the same issue.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I got it to work again. After some testing around, I found out that is mostlikely a problem with my Windows 8.1. Here is what I did:
    Right-click your NS2.exe > Properties > Compatability tab > Tick "Run this program in compatabiltiy mode for: Windows 8". I also ticked
    "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" (raw input?) and "Run as Administrator".
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    _INTER_ wrote: »
    Windows 8

I think I found your problem. ;)
  • MigeMige Join Date: 2005-03-19 Member: 45796Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Steam community works fine if you use dx9, but dx11 & opengl doesn't. Windows 8/8.1 thing but I'm not completely sure if its steam overlay problem or uwe just need to fix it
    edited November 2013
    @Mige I use dx9. Still had the problem. Also in other games the overlay worked just fine, however I still think it's not necessarily a problem that UWE can / has to fix. I suspect a bug in Windows 8.1 regarding memory management (had a couple of "Out of Memory (Ram) Error messages) after updating.

@BeigeAlert If you're using MacOs or Linux, fine. I'll never going Mac ever (screw you CrApple). Linux users have my respect ^:)^ . Honestly Windows 8 is not bad at all and I don't regret the upgrade from Windows 7. You can use it the same way if you work with Desktop and Classic Shell and it starts up faster + some nice added features. However I agree I shouldn't have updated to Windows 8.1.
    Well DX9 overlay worked just fine in windows 8 and I upgraded to 8.1 20.9.2013 and still worked fine. But DX11 and opengl overlay never worked in 8.1 64bit. Thats my experience with windows 8/8.1.. I only miss the real Aero and widgets from windows 7
    Today steam update did fix 8.1 dx10/dx11 overlay problem. So it was steam afterall, like i suggested
    edited November 2013
    _INTER_ wrote: »
    @Mige I use dx9. Still had the problem. Also in other games the overlay worked just fine, however I still think it's not necessarily a problem that UWE can / has to fix. I suspect a bug in Windows 8.1 regarding memory management (had a couple of "Out of Memory (Ram) Error messages) after updating.

Yes while alt tabbing (dx9) to windows you need to wait a while and it will start to rise :) Easy to reproduce, just join some server and go to windows, wait(about 30sec) and check task manager.. @IronHorse if you can check this ;)
    941e33cbc09d740478c45c1948a583f4.png
    @Mige Good catch. There are times I get exactly that Error aswell, thats when its not recoverable. Most of the time its something like this one:
    image30.png
    (Just with 'Natural Selection 2' mentionened ofc)
    Thats the same error essentially.
  • DefaultErrorDefaultError Minnesota Join Date: 2013-10-31 Member: 188917Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    There was an update to steam yesterday that fixed this issue Windows 8 and 8.1, it now works, at least for me.