About score popping up on kills...

Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
edited November 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
Can we just have it play a sound on a frag instead like quake? Assists get no sound or popup. That way we don't get fooled into thinking we killed the thing we were shooting at when something on the other side of the map died.

I GUESS we could just have score pop up on frag only and not assist, but ding could be cool.

EDIT: Revised, copied from a later post I made.
Yeah, an option to not draw score points AT ALL, is my #1 concern now. A ding/score for only kills as a second option AS WELL would be nice too, but not as much.

Comments

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2013
    "skulk death sound" yeaaaaah I killed a skulk! ;)
    But yes, agreed, I've had this happen too, stopped shooting because I thought I killed it, nnnope.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    But yes, agreed, I've had this happen too, stopped shooting because I thought I killed it, nnnope.

YES! OH GOD YES! That skulk groaning sound... I keep thinking I've killed them only to be bitten in the back by the buggers.
  • radionautradionaut california Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181192Members, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Gold
    agreed! can't tell you how many times i've died because of this.
  • CLARK_KENTCLARK_KENT Vancouver, Canada Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9508Members, Reinforced - Silver
    Agreed! Can't tell you how many times I've died because of this.
  • casan0vaxcasan0vax Cloverfield, USA Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166663Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    That way we don't get fooled into thinking we killed the thing we were shooting at when something on the other side of the map died.
    It's... it's almost as if... we're playing the same game :0

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2013
    radionaut wrote: »
    agreed! can't tell you how many times i've died because of this.
    CLARK_KENT wrote: »
    Agreed! Can't tell you how many times I've died because of this.

o_O

EDIT:
    casan0vax wrote: »
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    That way we don't get fooled into thinking we killed the thing we were shooting at when something on the other side of the map died.
    It's... it's almost as if... we're playing the same game :0

It's possible.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    This drives me fucking crazy. Especially when it's something like, I'm fighting a fade and a lerk that I haven't seen in 5 minutes dies on the other side of the map, I get a nice +25 or whatever popping up so I assume the fade is dead.

If they don't want to add a sound, or remove the assist score pop ups, they could at least make it tied to your actual marine life. I've gotten assist points on lerk kills where I've died 10+ times before the lerk did.. it's kinda silly. Did I really assist in that lerk kill, after he's been damaged and healed back to health 100 times before he actually dies?
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Simple an option not to draw any score points at all would be ok as well, sure you don't get that "confirmation" the skulk you are shooting is dead, but there are other ways to find that out. This way at least you aren't fooled into believing it before dying.

There is already an option to draw damage numbers on or off. Who the hell would turn that off, instead of turning score off?
  • RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Client ConVar ? Add some options :/.
  • OuchOfDeathOuchOfDeath Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182825Members
    The problem is you get the popup for assists. They should remove it for assists. The game used to only have it show up for kills and there was never any problem. It's when they added the assist popup that I suddenly started mistakingly thinking I got a kill when I did not.
    edited November 2013
    That's true, but you also had it happen from mine kills across the map. In this case, neither a ding nor popup helps, only removing both would stop confusion.

EDIT: Yeah, an option to not draw score points AT ALL, is my #1 concern now. A ding/score for only kills as a second option AS WELL would be nice too, but not as much.
  • joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    SamusDroid wrote: »

YES! OH GOD YES! That skulk groaning sound... I keep thinking I've killed them only to be bitten in the back by the buggers.

Yup, pretty stupid that the 'skulk takes damage' sound is exactly the same as when it dies too.. I've let a few skulks kill me from this exact scenario.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    So I was thinking about this thread earlier when I was playing and thought maybe it wouldn't be as bad if assists just popped up on the right side of the screen beneath the who killed who bit. I think a sound playing may also be distracting, but if they want something to pop up, maybe just distinguish between kill and assist simply by where the "+2" pops up.
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    Id love a sound, I chuckle every now and again when I realize that I kept shooting a rag doll...
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2013
    Repost for the lulz:

If that two-tone sound played on successful chills, I'd totally turn it on. The win95 startup sound on entering the chair is also lulz ;-) . The jumping sounds kinda win too but there's so much jumping on aliens, I think I'd get tired of it very fast.
    HeatSurge wrote: »
    Repost for the lulz:

If that two-tone sound played on successful chills, I'd totally turn it on. The win95 startup sound on entering the chair is also lulz ;-) . The jumping sounds kinda win too but there's so much jumping on aliens, I think I'd get tired of it very fast.

Win95 startup sound was gold. Instantly brought back memories.

Also, dat old minimap and summit :o
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2013
    Random trivia: The win95 startup sound was composed by Brian Eno who is kind of a legend in the ambient music scene. Also, from what I remember, he composed many many (hundreds if not thousands, can't remember) of 5-second clips for Microsoft to review before they settled on that particular one :-) .
  • joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
    LOL Love that sound pack! You know what though, I noticed when the onos hit that marine he flew back and fell down, I gotta wonder why that doesn't happen normally when a marine gets stomped? Why not have a cool knock down animation where the marine looks like someone pulled the rug out from under him? Instead of the current "Instantaneous pancake" move they do..
    ...You're looking pretty sexy right now.

While this is a HUGE advancement, is a more customisable set of options in the works at all? That is, I can go in between both those options or drop more etc. It's not really necessary but I'm interested.
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Take notes of Mendasp's Custom HUD mod.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    How about just making the assists yellow?

Bam, you can distinguish them, and still get to know that you got an assist.