Premier Division Commanders: How they do it

BiteyBitey Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151622Members, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
edited November 2013 in Competitive Play
So in my history of playing Natural Selection 2 over the last year I've had the best chances to play with nearly every level of commander. The differences between people can be extremely unique, some teams try to coordinate with field callers, others run a mixed commander/field caller setup, and to top it off my own teams have had our own unique styles of trying to tame a team. The one that I've run into is how the highest level of premier division European commanders seem to strike the perfect balance of how to truly play and experience ns2.

I personally believe that everyone who plays ns2 likely idealizes this style of play in some way, because it captures the spirit of what Natural Selection 2 is as an RTS/FPS hybrid. You(myself) are the solider on the battlefield, you might have a rank, could be a pretty clean shooter, and well cut; but in the end your just solider waiting for orders. The commander in his role has always been idealized as the true brains of the team, he is the general, he doesn't need weapons training or even have a competent computer(Jaivol<3). All he needs to be is be quick, attentive, and never run out of orders for his team to follow. Motivated, confident, and efficient are usually the best traits to make yourself a powerful comm.

I wanted to thank the commanders RIOS(snails) and Jaivol(Godar) for allowing me to share these videos to the public forums for viewing. These games capture the real magic of NS2 at it's highest level and it's purest forum between team who are often so close in skill it only comes down to them, the commanders, who in the end make a difference of who wins and who loses. An interesting note is even with the massive accents of English, I am still able to clearly understand what each commander desires.

Godar's Commander Jaivol:
twitch.tv/bitey/c/3232740

Snails Commander RideOnSkulkS:
twitch.tv/bitey/c/3246014

Comments