[Linux] Voice chat doesn't work out of the box

rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
I couldn't find the original topic about this issue but it's still there. When I press the voice comm button no one hears me and no voice icon appear on the right. Now I have this key on Mouse4 but it was on V key before, no matter, still doesn't work. The workaround is to open Options and then press Back, then it works until I exit the game. Then I have to do it again.

Comments

• rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Any attention please? Is it just me or it's a known bug?
  • SmeatSmeat Join Date: 2010-10-28 Member: 74639Members
    Same problem here. I have to open options once (I don't have to change anything) to make it work.
  • rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Still an issue in 260.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    This is a known bug and it's currently being worked on.
    Glad to hear that. It's good to remember old bugs from time to time anyway if they're little and pesky enough to be fixed ASAP.
    Isn't fixed in 261. Come on, it shouldn't be that hard to fix, it's not a sudden crash, reproducible 100% of the time and has 100% working workaround. Mic is viable in this game.
    Isn't fixed in 262 as well.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Currently we have had very little work done to the Linux side of NS2 due to limited resources (indie game developers)
    This doesn't mean it has been forgotten or that it will not happen.
    Believe me, i continue to nag and harass those who are capable of fixing these things - but there is only so few actual personnel who are able to fix Linux specific bugs, and he happens to very very busy with everything else, too. :)

Rest assured every reproduce-able linux bug reported in these here forums are in fact reported in our internal bug tracking system for the devs to monitor and work on.
    Appreciate your patience and i hope that dealing with the issues that come with the Linux version of NS2 does not scare you guys away.
    Thanks for understanding, and the moment fixes get checked in for us to test, i will notify you.
    Thanks. This thread lacked an official response for a while so I kept bumping it. Now I'm relieved of this duty.
    For the record, this seems to be fixed... almost. Most of the time mic works fine but I had a couple of games where I had to open the options menu to make it work. Probably, it happened when I launched the game via friend invite or "Join game" from the Friends window. Can't say for sure, will try it more.
    Tried it today and yep, it's as I thought. If I start the game as usual, mic works without problems. However, if I start the game via joining to a friend, mic wasn't working and I opened options to fix it. Of course, joining via overlay doesn't break mic if I launched the game with the play button.

That said, it's not a super big issue for me. Servers are either empty or full so I have to autojoin-on-empty-slot anyway and doing this without a running game isn't a good idea — it may start suddenly at any time. But I'm pretty convinced this can be fixed easily for that case if it has been done for the regular launch.