Mirror Match-ups for NS2 as an E-sport? [Reiteration]

ArmouredGRIFFONArmouredGRIFFON Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168635Members
I've seen some threads about how NS2 isn't as popular as it is because it is difficult to access.

Surely allowing teams the freedom to either M or A races will aid to remedy this...

NS2 is harder to follow for spectators not familiar with the game due to asymmetry. If the game is sufficiently complex at a high level, then you can get significantly better at one side much faster (and more efficiently) than you can get better at two. Therein Dev's ought to give teams a choice between MvM or AvA, after some balancing work. Otherwise MvA will place high level M's who are low level A's and low level A's who are high level M's against each other (imba).

That the game needs to be balanced around marine vs marine, alien vs alien AND alien vs marine will allow it it to progress significantly and dynamically on a competitive level i.e. watching a godly marine team play against a godly alien team is probably going to be the most fun to watch. This is impossible without losing every other match as the other team due to lack of practice on that race at this moment in the game at the moment. But if players were able to concentrate on just one race, we could change all of that. Starcraft 2 shows this system in RTS's works extremely well in regards to a-symmetric gameplay.

It may be that balancing needs to be done but you might be able to do it by restricting certain content for certain match-ups i.e. specific upgrades for specific match-ups.

To be honest I don't enjoy playing as an Alien race. Therein the position I adopt is bound to some prejudice as to it's motive but please look at the attempts to objectivity on my part featured above.

Have a pleasant day.

Discuss :-*

Comments

• KanehKaneh Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174783Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    oh nvm i gave you a proper response in that other thread because i though you were actually trying to make salient points (look ma, its a big boy word). It seems you are new to this game. please read up some more and study the actual game itself before posting such things.
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    There was a MvM mod a few months back. Last I checked, support was dropped due to game updates breaking mods. Anyway, I think there's a flaw to your argument since the default game mode is AvM. The asymmetrical sides define this game. If MvM and AvA became official game modes, teams would begin favoring one mode to the other. They'd become so engrossed (ex. aiming, tactics, etc.) in symmetrical game modes that they'd get worse at the original AvM. Schisms would begin to form between AvM, AvA, and MvM, both at the public and competitive level. We'd end up with three different games requiring split attention by the devs who are beginning work on a new game.

To summarize: AvA and MvM would make you bad at AvM if you're fairly new to NS2.

In your case, I would just hop onto a decent pub and grind some time playing aliens even if you're inclined to play marines. All you really need is experience in order to get good at either side. Take your knowledge of one side (rines) and use it against them.