Left Handed Mode

HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
edited November 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
Requesting: Left handed mode.

I play with a key config where my shooting keys are on my left hand - F/D primary/secondary, so physically they're reversed vs the exo arms and heat bars on screen.

I've gotten used to it now, it was annoying in the beginning when I was just starting to play, but this problem applies to everyone who might be playing with a left-handed mouse as well.

Basically, the suggestion is to implement a menu toggle for "left handed mode" where it mirrors all weapon models in the game (maybe even rifle/pistol?) and hud elements like the exo heat bars most importantly.

Benefit is that when you press the left physical key the left exo arm is deployed, in the case of a left-handed config. Less confusion...

I'm not sure if this would be hard to implement.

Comments

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2013
    This will probably never...ever happen. It just won't. I don't even know how to go about making a mod to go that. I suppose just switching the primary and secondary attack keys would do?
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2013
    Q_Q

No, I won't switch my attack keys. I'll just keep playing with the bars and hands reversed on screen :-/ ...
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    This is pointless. Keybindings can be changed by you, but the weapon and hud has nothing to do with being left-handed.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2013
    Orly? Because it makes sense to physically press the right mouse button (your default primary fire button) using your index finger on a left-handed mouse and have that trigger the left exo arm and heat bar on screen. Unless you like to primary fire (rifle, pistol, everything) with your ring finger on a left-handed mouse... in that case, yes, it's fine.

Weapon models other than the exo are obviously purely cosmetic, since they're "direction-independent-action" but would be "cool" to switch too, assuming it's easy (it should be just mirroring the model).
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    This would require, mirroring the models, reanimating for the mirrored models, all new view models, and third person models to match the view models.
  • casan0vaxcasan0vax Cloverfield, USA Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166663Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
    As an old-school Beta Counter-Strike purist, I'd be all for this (I play cl_righthand 0 in all versions of CS), but like SamusDroid said... fat chance of this happening.
    edited November 2013
    Actually, I thought more about this just now, and a much MUCH easier "fix" would be to implement a "reverse primary/secondary fire in the keybindings ONLY when exo" as a work-around... So primary fire becomes secondary and vice-versa but ONLY when in an exosuit.

Then again, that would make you have to fire a single-handed exo with your ring finger because it comes with the arm on the left side on screen. :-P It would work just fine with dual-arm exos though. Still, I would love for someone to make that an option though; it shouldn't require overly much work, just putting the option in the menu, and some kind of check when you get in/out of an exo reversing primary and secondary fire bindings.
    This is something we discussed, and may include in 261
    The bindings system will be getting a lot of additions to be ready for championships.
    ;-)

Nice. Might be a nice interim "fix" for this... if full model/exo heat bar mirroring never happens.
    edited November 2013
    If you are talking about JUST the hud, it's possible with a lot of work...I think.
    edited November 2013
    The hud should go together with the arms IMO. It'll be just as confusing to have the left arm animate while the right heat bar goes up...

If I were changing something, I'd go with the pure keybinding "fix" in my previous post instead of doing just the bars...

Edit: I just realized I actually push the RMB(on a RH mouse)/LMB(on a LH mouse) with my middle finger, not ring finger. Weird, lol. I've never actually thought about that before either. So replace "ring" with "middle" finger in everything I said above.
  • BeerTentBeerTent Join Date: 2012-11-11 Member: 169639Members
    edited November 2013
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    This would require, mirroring the models, reanimating for the mirrored models, all new view models, and third person models to match the view models.

No, I don't think we'd need to edit worldmodels or alter animations at all. If you looked at the weapons for Counter-Strike: Source, you'd see that every single weapon in that game is backwards, until you swap to lefty mode. Just mirror some of the weapons, and flip the display on the gun back to normal.

As others have said, Exosuits are the biggest challenge, but even then, when Lefty Mode is enabled, just swap primary fire so it uses the right gun, and vice versa. Is there a balance requirement to having the claw as your primary attack?

EDIT: Keep it clientside, we don't have to go too crazy with it.
    edited November 2013
    BeerTent wrote: »
    Is there a balance requirement to having the claw as your primary attack?

Balance requirement preventing me from swapping 2 keys in the control scheme only when exo? LOL... I wouldn't think so. It'd be annoying to use middle finger to fire, but like I said, it's a very quick "slap-on" hackfix until/when/if ever the entire models are reversed.