Is modding the map loading screen possible?

SolarisSolaris Join Date: 2003-05-11 Member: 16213Members
Hi, I was wondering if modding the actual loading screen is possible in general.

Reason:
On lower.end machines such as mine loading a map can take several minutes. It's nt only boring, it actively kept me from playing this game.

Suggestion:
If you play DOTA2 you know the shopkeeper's quiz when you are waiting in queue for a match. My idea is to have something similar as an "overlay" over the loading screen (maybe a button to show/hide it, and an option to turn it on/off completely). I was thinking of a simple multiple choice quiz with gameplay (and maybe community) related questions, like:

Which is not correct:
a) ARCs can shoot through walls.
b) ARCs can be disabled by the Onos' stomp ability.
c) ARCs can only targets that are visible to Marines, the commander or an observatory.
d) ARCs need to be deployed to be able to fire.

This way players are less bored while waiting and may actually get to learn stuff in a fun way.

Comments

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Yes but it won't be loaded until the mod is loaded, which is like half way through. Plus it will have to pass consistency checking.
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    Typically you want your mod's Loading screen to be simple. Otherwise you'll end up spending extra time loading your loading screen.
    Regardless, interesting idea.
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    Would be cool if you could place a little banner in there like: hey add our server to your fav list or something
  • SolarisSolaris Join Date: 2003-05-11 Member: 16213Members
    edited November 2013
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    Yes but it won't be loaded until the mod is loaded, which is like half way through. Plus it will have to pass consistency checking.
    The way I understand your post is that every time a map change is made, Spark reverts to a default state and loads/reloads the mods, is that about right? Is there no way to have a "persistent" mod running in the background? There are mods that change the UI, menu structure, etc. They must be running independently from the map, mustn't they?
    McGlaspie wrote: »
    Typically you want your mod's Loading screen to be simple. Otherwise you'll end up spending extra time loading your loading screen.
    Regardless, interesting idea.
    It's text and buttons. You could use simplest HTML and JavaScript for that (and I've seen boxes showing HTML content on some servers), it would be tiny in actual file size. Think "You Don't Know Jack" style. Extremely lightweight.

• SolarisSolaris Join Date: 2003-05-11 Member: 16213Members
    ZEROibis wrote: »
    Would be cool if you could place a little banner in there like: hey add our server to your fav list or something
    Hav the whole stuff be a box for HTML content. Per default it could load local/online "gameplay quiz" content, but if server admins want they could change the source for the boxe's content and use it for advertising.

(...and that will make me not want to play on your server at all - the idea for this was to make waiting less of a pain; staring at advertising for minutes has the contrary effect. That said, I DO respect and endorse the right of server operators to do as they see fit. For all I care you could use it to advertise swedish penis pumps on the loading screen.)

• ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    Yea actual advertisements like you see in TF2 all the time would be annoying as shit. I am talking about even being able to display a static image that has server rules and other important information on it to users.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Bejeweled mod for map load screen yay or wait... Zen Sudoku xD
    Joking aside, they sped up the loading a lot in the performance patch (after inital loading ofc). I don't even have time to make coffee anymore.