Alien crosshairs

xtanha1rrmxxtanha1rrmx Join Date: 2012-11-27 Member: 173473Members
Hi,

Is there a way to enable the crosshair for melee alien attacks (i.e. skulk bite)? I recall there used to be a solution where you could edit a value in player_client.lua but it no longer works.

Btw am using a custom crosshair without hit detection, if it makes any difference.

Any help much appreciated! Thanks.

Comments

• Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Client-side mods are no longer possible in NS2, due to consistency checking. You can't make any client-side only code changes, unless they are also running on the server.

As far as I recall, the melee attacks come under blank, I don't believe they have an icon space for blank, but if they do, you could replace that file and have your image in blank, then release it as a mod. However, I am fairly sure blank doesn't have an image location, and is just a nil value.

Essentially, what I am saying is this can't be done unless you make a mod which is also run on servers.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    I've been using one of Koruyo's custom crosshairs for months now. Always had a dot for alien bite/swipe attacks.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    All alien melee attacks use one blank crosshair also shared with Axe, welder and exo.
    My xhair mod changes the rine crosshair & tried to find a crosshair to fit both marine and alien for that blank spot.

/shameless advertising.
  • DefaultErrorDefaultError Minnesota Join Date: 2013-10-31 Member: 188917Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I use the J13 elite crosshairs from the workshop and since I've use them, I've gotten a lot better with aliens. The melee crosshair is just a small X so it's nothing fancy.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    It is stupid that aliens do not come with melee crosshairs, since the model (at least for lerk, skulk and onos) do not reflect the hitbox (or whatever it is called) AT ALL. Looking at the model you would think the hitbox is most of the screen but it is really this small square in the middle. This is particularly infuriating since none of the crosshair mods I have tried work on any server I have played on ever since that patch which improved consistency checking.

Also the same blank crosshair is shared by grenades.
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Go to the workshop on steam ns2 page and get a crosshair.