Spectate idea

NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
I like using the pen tool in spectate mode but only being able to write within the play area is very annoying. I would like to able to write anywhere on my screen as I am sure was the original intention. I would also like to be able to write while the I have the large map on screen. Could you guys possibly add this to spectate mode? Or am I just doing something wrong? lol

Comments

• ZinkeyZinkey Join Date: 2013-06-25 Member: 185694Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Im not quite sure I understand the problem.

I was under the impression there are currently two methods of drawing on the screen with the pen tool in NS2:

Middle mouse allows you to draw on the screen anywhere with lines that move with the camera (similar to drawing on the face of your monitor with a pen).

Right mouse allows you to draw on the geometry of the map and the lines are attached to the geometry as the camera moves. For example drawing a smiley face on the floor in crossroads on summit, moving the camera would not move the smiley face.

I think what you are looking for may already be in the game with middle mouse button.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    I would like to see parasited marines marked for the spectators. That could help for casts.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    You can't draw in anywhere black outside the map for example, he is saying I believe
  • aaSpideraaSpider Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73079Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Mephilles wrote: »
    I would like to see parasited marines marked for the spectators. That could help for casts.

Agreed, this would be very helpful. Maybe with a faint yellow outline similar to alien vision, if possible. Or even just a symbol next to their name.
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    You can't draw in anywhere black outside the map for example, he is saying I believe

Yeah exactly. But when I watch Reddog on Twitch, he does it all the time. And when I have the map on screen, I cant use the pen either, but I see other casters use the pen when the map is on screen. I use the RMB to use the pen tool. MMB does nothing that I can tell.
  • casan0vaxcasan0vax Cloverfield, USA Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166663Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I do exactly what you're talking about all the time :o It is the MMB, I'm not sure if yours is broken or something :/

RMB: pen draws static lines. It can be used ONLY on navigatable mesh, i.e., the physical map/level. If you move the camera, these lines WILL NOT move.
    MMB: pen draws dynamic* lines. It can be drawn ANYWHERE on the screen, including the minimap, outside the map, AND on top of the big map (C button). If you move the camera, however, these lines WILL move with it.

If you want to see an example of MMB, go to 21:30 mark of http://www.twitch.tv/ns2soz/b/474111716
    I don't use RMB that much, if at all. Bitey loves to use it though :3

* - not sure that's the proper word, but it's the one I'm sticking with.
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    wow im an idiot. lol Jesus. I figured it out. Thanks for everyone's help.