Anyone playing on an IPS monitor?

KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
I bought a new display, mainly for films and such (my gaming TN panel does not cut it), and strangely enough, I see no ghosting and such, but my accuracy has seemingly dropped a lot as skulk. I see no visible ghosting or stuff. The panel is Dell P2414H, input lag was measured to 4ms, GTG response time is listed as 8ms, ISO 16ms or so. It seems a good panel overall, I am just curious about your experience, how can display affect accuracy.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_p2414h.htm

Comments

• RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Try the ufo test on it (Google it).
    I went from a fast gaming tn 60Hz panel up to 120Hz lightboost with vsync. That immediately increased my accuracy by a noticeable amount, so it doesn't surprise me that you've noticed a drop off moving to ips, lovely though the picture quality is!
  • DraconisDraconis Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13722Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Same experience than Roobuba here. I deactivate lightboost from time to time and the difference between is really impressive.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Have 2 27in IPS monitors (120hz OC.) Since I end up playing the game on my 144hz Asus TN panel anyway, I can only comment a small amount on the IPS. Panel to panel, you really won't find much of a difference if they are both the same refresh rate. The IPS definitely look a lot better but gaming-wise, I just don't see the need to use them.

If this game had a lot smoother frames, I would consider it.
  • MrRadicalEdMrRadicalEd Turrent Master Join Date: 2004-08-13 Member: 30601Members
    I use a HP ZR2440w, and while I experience ghosting.. I asked for it since this is primarily GD work. I imagine I would have a better experience using another display; I am not phased by my current display at all. I am just frustrated over the hitching and choking. BF3 and BF4 is quite nice visually. I still perceive objects as being sharp.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I use a HP ZR2440w, and while I experience ghosting.. I asked for it since this is primarily GD work. I imagine I would have a better experience using another display; I am not phased by my current display at all. I am just frustrated over the hitching and choking. BF3 and BF4 is quite nice visually. I still perceive objects as being sharp.

Not saying this applies to you, but I do wonder how much people's complaints about visual smoothness in this game actually relate to their 60Hz (and often worse fps!). It really does make a massive difference: your eyes see so much more information, turning is smoother, tracking is easier. The first time you go from 60Hz to 120+ (especially with lightboost at 120 - it's better than 144Hz for me), it's like the world is in slow motion, and you have so much time to react to things that you were having to panic/twitch at before.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2013
    @mrradicaled
    Wow bf3 and 4 dont hitch and choke for you?
    Have you ever tried circle strafing any object while keeping your crosshair on it?
    You should see notable hitching when doing so due to their method of rendering. (Farcry 3 had this too until they patched it months later.. BF3 has always had it, and BF4 is no change)
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    When I first switched from CRT to LCD I was like why the f* did I just downgrade my monitor. ^#(^
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    IronHorse wrote: »
    @mrradicaled
    Wow bf3 and 4 dont hitch and choke for you?
    Have you ever tried circle strafing any object while keeping your crosshair on it?
    You should see notable hitching when doing so due to their method of rendering. (Farcry 3 had this too until they patched it months later.. BF3 has always had it, and BF4 is no change)

I've never noticed any of this hitching in BF3. Only hitching I get is in NS2.
    When I first switched from CRT to LCD I was like why the f* did I just downgrade my monitor. ^#(^

Some time ago I wanted to see if you could still get CRTs but in widescreen high res form so I'd have no ghosting etc. I think I saw a 1080p one for about $2500 lol.
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    edited October 2013
    Most likely placebo effect after a few bad rounds. Or it could also be you need to get adjusted, as changing resolutions and screen size can take some getting use to. Also try messing around with your FOV slider, as a new screen size can throw off the feel drastically.

PS: How is the anti-glare coating on that monitor? Is it light or heavy?
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Well, I managed to squeeze 78Hz out of my IPS panel, it seems to help a bit.

However, (most of you probably already know), interesting reading here:

http://www.blurbusters.com/

They explain that the blur problems originate not from slow grey to grey pixel transitions, but from image retention inherent to LCD technology, hence the lightboost success. However, I cannot stand flickering image, it made my eyes red before in times of CRTs (even on 80Hz).
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    Weird, I've never experienced that battlefield 3 hitching. Aside from the mouselag that was fixed I experienced some time ago(eons, like, a month or so) the only performance issue with NS2 I have is hitching.

I play on a dell S2240L IPS monitor usually and I never notice ghosting in games.
  • DraconisDraconis Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13722Members, Reinforced - Onos
    @Ironsoul you generally dont see the ghosting unless you do the comparison. For instance, in NS2, i can see the ammo numbers going down of the LMG/pistol very very clearly when firing. With no lightboost, the numbers are readable but blurry.
    edited October 2013
    Kamamura wrote: »
    Well, I managed to squeeze 78Hz out of my IPS panel, it seems to help a bit.

However, (most of you probably already know), interesting reading here:

http://www.blurbusters.com/

They explain that the blur problems originate not from slow grey to grey pixel transitions, but from image retention inherent to LCD technology, hence the lightboost success. However, I cannot stand flickering image, it made my eyes red before in times of CRTs (even on 80Hz).

Is that 78hz without frame skipping, text blurring, or any visual errors? Also, how are the blacks with the hard 3g coating? I'm thinking about grabbing this IPS because it looks like it doesn't use PWM flickering that usually rapes my eyes.

Please test here for frame skipping if you don't mind - http://www.testufo.com/#test=frameskipping
  • MrRadicalEdMrRadicalEd Turrent Master Join Date: 2004-08-13 Member: 30601Members
    @IronHorse

BF3 had always run liquid smooth for me. I moved from a 120Hz 42" display where I played BF3 all the time and it was fun. The sound stuttered for me though.

TF2 and CS:S stutter for me, though, until I learned about the windows 7 problem, and I am currently researched the possibility of effecting NS2.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited October 2013
    A 42in TV or actual profressional display. If it was a TV, almost all of them only accept a 60hz input signal and upconvert to 120hz.

I am just curious since every TV I have tried to hook up has hella-blurring and other fun stuff from the 60hz input signal.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    @ns2isgood - I did the UFO test this morning @78Hz, and unlike on my old work monitor, I did not notice the ufo jumping or stuttering, the movement was absolutely smooth. However, I cannot guarantee every piece will achieve the same, of course.

As for my personal experience with it, going from the CCFL TN Benq monitor with PWM, even this P2414H without PWM is slightly harder on the eyes. The light is somewhat harsher, more blueish (I did rough calibration, the colors are OK, but the character of the light is just different). On the other hand, the colors are more vivid, beautiful even, I watched some movies on both for side-by-side comparison, and the TN panel really looks like a make-up of an old, tired woman. Also, the P2414H features superb stand that allows you to switch to portrait mode and adjust height, a feature missing on other monitors.

The color uniformity is good, there is only very slight backlight bleed in the lower part of the monitor. What is noticeable though, on maximum brightness are slight darker area by the bottom margin of the monitor, like "darkness bleed", so to speak. It does not bother me, though, because it's not noticeable during regular use.

The panel uses 6bit+FRC color depth, and on images designed to show the effect, slight "snowing" is noticeable. Again, nothing that would bother you during normal use, but it may contribute to eye strain.

Solid panel overall, and very cheap for what it offers. One thing I miss is a HDMI port for my PS3, but an adapter and a separate audio cable took care of that, just a bit of extra cost to mind, though.
    even this P2414H without PWM is slightly harder on the eyes.

That sucks. Could it be you're adjusting to a new monitor?
    @ns2isgood - I am starting to believe those articles claiming that WLED monitors simply radiate more light in the short wave, high energy area, and such light is more hurtful for human eyes, just read about snow blindness and related problems. Warmer white calibration helps, but does not make the problem go away. Still, this panel is the least hurtful of all the LED panels I have seen so far, so I am keeping it for movies and non-FPS gaming.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2013
    @kamamura
    http://justgetflux.com/
    ;)

@mrradicaled
    Have you tried doing what i suggested about though? There's no hitching or issues unless I do that, with fps less than 60.
    @Ironhorse - the problem is the backlight seeping around the pixels themselves, no applied color scheme will alter its composition. If it contains to much eye-stinging blue, you can't do anything about it.
    @Ironhorse - the problem is the backlight seeping around the pixels themselves, no applied color scheme will alter its composition. If it contains to much eye-stinging blue, you can't do anything about it.

Dell should have more than enough OSD options. Try dropping the B value to make the image a bit warmer.
    @ns2isgood - you don't understand. Calibrating the white point does not affect the color of the backlight at all. It affects only the light filtered through the LCD crystals, but NOT the backlight seeping around the pixels, capiche? Higher DPI monitor models allegedly help, because more dense pixels have less space in-between. IGZO models will be allegedly even better, further increasing possible DPI.
    edited October 2013
    @ns2isgood - you don't understand. Calibrating the white point does not affect the color of the backlight at all. It affects only the light filtered through the LCD crystals, but NOT the backlight seeping around the pixels, capiche? Higher DPI monitor models allegedly help, because more dense pixels have less space in-between. IGZO models will be allegedly even better, further increasing possible DPI.

Well here is what the tftcentral admin reviewer (the review link you posted) had to say when linked here:
    I think it's unlikely to be related to the FRC to be honest. Could be a lot of other things including poor gamma setup, high luminance, position of the screen and blue light output. W-Led can often be overly blue in the colour spectrum which can be problematic for some, but making the screen warmer can sort that out.

He said his unit didn't give him any issues. Most likely yours is just not calibrated properly.