my first impressions of the "new" ns2 (after a several month break)

FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
wow fade is nerfed to sh*t. Fps is still bad (even with a new cpu i5....). Oh well.

Comments

• NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    This post is so awe inspiring, and eye opening

Thank you
  • crymearivercrymeariver Join Date: 2013-08-29 Member: 187185Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Fule wrote: »
    wow fade is nerfed to sh*t. Fps is still bad (even with a new cpu i5....). Oh well.

You're not wrong Fule, you're just an... ahem.
    Fade may not be THAT nerfed but it did take 3 solid hits from the nerf bat for reinforced for sure. It does take some getting used to though.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Fade might get some small but significant buffs though, check the beta test mod. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=130391092

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Neoken wrote: »
    Fade might get some small but significant buffs though, check the beta test mod. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=130391092

Oooh I like that! So what does damage from 75 to 81 mean? Is that enough to reduce the number of hits needed to kill a marine at a certain armor level?
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Yea the big thing is armor 2 is 3 swipes and arms lab down means 2 swipes.

If nothing else this is a seriously needed change back from the changes of 250.

People think that stab is useless without vortex, but if the casting time on it is reduced a smidge it would be great for the second hive ability at 6 biomass.

I personally feel that vortex needs a change for the 3rd hive where its controlled solely with vortex selected. It doesnt make sense that vortex ALWAYS brings you back after a single attack
  • crymearivercrymeariver Join Date: 2013-08-29 Member: 187185Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    mattji104 wrote: »
    I personally feel that vortex needs a change for the 3rd hive where its controlled solely with vortex selected. It doesnt make sense that vortex ALWAYS brings you back after a single attack

While that would make me use vortex for more than just end game siege flailing (can't say siege breaking with a straight face) I feel it would be a bit OP.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    FPS is fine, even after all this time, not sure how to feel about the fade right now. Leaning more towards buff than nerf though.
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2013
    Actually, since 258, my FPS has been HUGELY improved and I run an i3. Only on large servers and near hives is where my FPS drops below 30. It's much more consistent now throughout the game rather than being just good at the start. I find myself doing a lot better than before later in the game where I found it impossible to track or accurately swipe targets while sitting at 10 fps near bases.

The past few patches have been really good. I just hope UWE doesn't reset the momentum meter again with a bug ridden patch that breaks performance among other things. They just need to work on getting loading times back on track (which are still too long), minor performance improvements and just fine tuning the game while hopefuly introducing a small matchmaking system or lowering the skill ceiling for new players. Perhaps in the future we could see combat and xeno as part of the core game as well or at least given more limelight.

• BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    @Ghosthree3 You got those shadowstep4lyfe club shirts designed yet?
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Omg more energy for shadowstep. My fade cries.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation

While that would make me use vortex for more than just end game siege flailing (can't say siege breaking with a straight face) I feel it would be a bit OP.

3rd hive abilities are meant to be game ending and purposely overpowered, or they should be. Blow up a fade or don't kill him essentially
  • TurbineTurbine Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159160Members
    NS2 is a good example of how to ruin a game. Been here since the start, now this game is just horrible in every area. The company has made so many bad decisions and I feel ashamed to have influenced so many people to purchase this awful game.
    edited October 2013

3rd hive abilities are meant to be game ending and purposely overpowered, or they should be. Blow up a fade or don't kill him essentially

True Enough. I forgot about the tech tree switch mentioned in the balance mod. I can kind of see that then, mostly because bad fades would overstay their welcome instead of being forced to hit and run and killing bad fades is always fun. Issues might come up on on 5 TP maps though, but those would be limited.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Omg more energy for shadowstep. My fade cries.
    Shadowstep energy cost has been reduced in the beta test mod, not increased. ;)

Turbine wrote: »
    NS2 is a good example of how to ruin a game. Been here since the start, now this game is just horrible in every area. The company has made so many bad decisions and I feel ashamed to have influenced so many people to purchase this awful game.

NS2 is in a much much better state now than it was at release. And honestly, the core gameplay remained unchanged, so I don't know how it could suddenly have become horrible in every area.
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    He didn't say it instantly became horrible, I'm pretty sure he meant now as in its current state.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    @Neoken
    omg your right. Suits me right for reading while its late.

My fade screams with satisfaction. :D