Server Performance

Side1Bu2Rnz9Side1Bu2Rnz9 Join Date: 2012-10-16 Member: 162510Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
I've noticed that recently many of the servers I tend to use have been having crappy server performance (studdering, rubberbanding, lag outs, red plugs, ect). Now I'm not naming any servers and those who post on this thread should not either. I just have a question as to why this is happening. The reason I frequented those servers were because normally I had no issue with the performance (server tick rate of 30 and bla bla). Recently in the last couple patches the servers have been struggling to maintain that 30 tick rate and my gaming experience has suffered. Has the req's for servers gone up since the most recent patches or is it an issue with the game? Is there a work around such as lowering player count on servers or is it just something that devs need to attempt to help with? I have no server experience so I have not idea about anything with servers, but I know what the cause for my rubberbanding is and it's not my ping or my fps (mostly sub 100ms and around 100fps average). Thanks for answering any of my questions.

Comments

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Known bug already being worked on. It's a tough one to nail down as there are numerous causes that may be attributing to it.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited October 2013
    I've been having the exact same issue.

From what I've gleaned from these forums, the decrease in performance may be related to the new badge and/or ranking system, since gathering the info about who has what badge, and sending stats back to the Hive(?) ranking system put extra strain on the Server.

I truly hope that whatever the cause, it is found and fixed (and that server performance improves even more! :D)
  • Side1Bu2Rnz9Side1Bu2Rnz9 Join Date: 2012-10-16 Member: 162510Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Glad to hear it's being worked on. I've even noticed this on 16 player servers where the tick rate drops randomly from 30 to like 20 for no reason seemingly. Thanks for the quick replies though! :D
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Our server got laggy tonight and that never happens. It was even worse elsewhere. Something funny going on with steam? Very very bad lag on the NSL servers tonight as well...
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Seems to be a mix of recent bugs in the vanilla game and/or common server mods. The most reasonable thing would be for server owners to reduce their playercounts till the issues are fixed.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I've been playing on servers with fewer max players then normal which seems to be helping lower the choppiness for me
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yes, requirements "increased".

Regardless of bumpby requirements, serverperofrmance needs improvements, most importantly massive multi-core support.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Omega_K2 wrote: »

Regardless of bumpby requirements, serverperofrmance needs improvements, most importantly massive multi-core support.

I always thought that too, but did you know that server operators dont want that? They want ns2 to run on exactly one core, so that they can run multiple servers without them affecting each other. So for server performance, multicore is not the solution.

• trinity.nstrinity.ns Join Date: 2008-12-07 Member: 65688Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Asraniel wrote: »

I always thought that too, but did you know that server operators dont want that? They want ns2 to run on exactly one core, so that they can run multiple servers without them affecting each other. So for server performance, multicore is not the solution.

Uhm, what? Of course they want multi core support! I get your point, but multithreadingis s till the solution.
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2013

I need to be nicer to others
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Actually what happens is that on servers, multicore systems apparently cost quite a lot more than on normal gaming machines where they are standard. I didn't say that it wont get implemented because of those operators by the way, just that it probably isn't the solution to the problem.
    The server and client code is mostly the same. For clients the solution is multicore anyway, so any multicore stuff added there ends up on the server anyway. So dont worry about your so called stupid operators.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    So operators want multicore support to bind the exe to one core? Now im confused :D
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    trinity.ns wrote: »

Uhm, what? Of course they want multi core support! I get your point, but multithreadingis s till the solution.
    The preferred solution is to reduce the server load rather than offload it to other cores.
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    I'll take either at this point :)
    Actually what happens is that on servers, multicore systems apparently cost quite a lot more than on normal gaming machines where they are standard. I didn't say that it wont get implemented because of those operators by the way, just that it probably isn't the solution to the problem.
    The server and client code is mostly the same. For clients the solution is multicore anyway, so any multicore stuff added there ends up on the server anyway. So dont worry about your so called stupid operators.

No, they don't. You can use client cpus in server systems and counterwise. And minus the grafics card you will always pay less for a server (assuming you buy it), then a gaming pc if you compare HW directly; unless of course you're going for different hardware. Now if you're talking about rented servers, it is quite obvious that better servers cost more to rent, but the ISPs also have to pay for the hardware. Basic math skills will help here to see which is most cost-efficent solution (purchased server + housing vs rented server) .

You didn't provide a single valid reason why it isn't the solution. It IS one of the main solutions, along side with general server speed improvements. There is no "probably".

The multicore trend is coming from the server sector, not otherwise around. We have 12-core Intel (with HT: 24 virtual) and 16-core AMD Server cpus as well as multi-socket mainboards that can hold up to 4 CPUs. Now you are trying to tell that multicore is not viable on servers.

Now in fact if you are looking at those 12 or 16 core cpus, you'll see they'll run at a lower clockspeed then their lower-core high end counterparts. And NS2 can't really be run on machines with low per-core performance, as such, you need multicore support to spread the load over the available cores.
    General performance "improvements" are desireable, but not the single solution. It will only lower the point when looking at per-core required performance for a given amount of players.

Decent MC support impact said requirement much more, if we were to see a good ratio of threaded code, you might be able to run a 18-slot server on a 2.4 ghz AMD CPU. Right now you need a recent-gen 3.6+ Ghz Intel CPU for the same task to get a stable 30-tickrate @ 18 players

As for client vs server code. Yes it is, and no, client multicore will not necessarily impact server multicore. Client has better MC support then the server does, as it offloads quite a bit of rendering to another thread; this, however, does not affect the server.
    What will impact both if portions of the lua code would run [multi-] threaded.
    You got it all figured out then, great for you
    We have enough good servers out there for the current playerbase and the times are over where you need heavy OCed machines.
    I dont think MC support would change anything on playercount, tickrate (stable 30 isnt a really problem anymore) or something else.

Maybe you can save around 20€ per month cause you can rent a cheaper server.
    But that would be the only result.

Copy@paste from the german-slaughterhouse.de forum:
    September 23, 2013, 01:13:00 by [#OMEGA] - K2
    Views: 59 | Comments: 0
    Switched to a new root server, for improved performance! (at a lower price =P)

So, whats your problem?
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    Known bug already being worked on. It's a tough one to nail down as there are numerous causes that may be attributing to it.
    The bug SamusDroid is referring to should be fixed for 258. It needs more testing to verify that it's no longer occurring or causing hitches on the server (which translated to a tick rate dip and sudden rubber-banding for everyone in the game), but so far the most easily reproduced symptom hasn't been reproducible in the current internal build. Fingers crossed!
    I know many servers without the descibed issue and constant 30 ticks an no rubberbanding etc.
    My server is one of them.

Would be interisting to know why some servers are "different".
  • CanucckCanucck Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72987Members
    edited October 2013
    SamusDroid wrote: »

Hilarious. I stopped playing after esl quals because server performance was so terrible, and when i tried again after the free time it felt the same (if not worse because every server is 20p+ now). As far as I can tell the only servers that stay even decent for even 20min are the overclocked ones that people are paying over twice as much per month for compared to any other shooter. And for whatever reason on NAE people keep joining servers like IBIS that drop down to 10% perf within 5min...

Maybe rebalancing another 6 times will fix it, who knows!