Keeps crashing before finishing loading

Side1Bu2Rnz9Side1Bu2Rnz9 Join Date: 2012-10-16 Member: 162510Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
edited September 2013 in Technical Support
@Ironhorse I just came back from about a week away from ns2... I tried doing the optimizing thing when I first opened the updated game. Crash. I thought maybe a one time thing. Tried again... CRASH. Tried again but this time I set priority to high in task manager, optimization worked. OK... I then tried joining servers... kept crashing before I was able to join (during the compile). I even tried creating a listen server with no luck. Keeps crashing before I'm able to finish compiling. It crashes with a "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library - Runtime Error". Had a similar error during build 253-254, but I could very occasionally play on servers if I was very lucky. I have a 3770K cpu @ 4.70 GHz, a GTX 660 OC video card, and 16 GB of ram running at 2400 MHz. I've attached the tech support zip that I got after running it after the crash. Thanks for the help.

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    I am not Ironhorse, but looking at your log one mod is enabled. So please disable all mods before you hand in a tech report.
  • Side1Bu2Rnz9Side1Bu2Rnz9 Join Date: 2012-10-16 Member: 162510Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    @GhoulofGSG9 only mod I had was a crosshair, but here it is...

On a possibly related note, I've also been blue screened twice today while trying to join servers... this never happens like ever to my computer, but ns2 is special.
  • Side1Bu2Rnz9Side1Bu2Rnz9 Join Date: 2012-10-16 Member: 162510Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Blue screens of death... never happens on any other application/game, never happened before build 256... why is it happening now like A LOT?!

It only occurs during the loading process when the map is changing or I'm joining a server. Why would this start happening now?
  • TurbineTurbine Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159160Members
    You're probably overheating, OC'd too much/without out scaling proper or with adequate cooling. A 3770k is bloody hard to keep stable at that clock speed, with water cooling.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    Blue screens of death... never happens on any other application/game, never happened before build 256... why is it happening now like A LOT?!

It only occurs during the loading process when the map is changing or I'm joining a server. Why would this start happening now?

I've had this experience a lot this week as well, but it stopped once I turned the AC back on and stopped letting my system get so hot... I'm not really sure if it's the game or just my hardware. It's on the radar at least, but for now we don't have any real info to go on as there's not enough conclusive evidence that it's actually the game's fault.
    Turbine wrote: »
    You're probably overheating, OC'd too much/without out scaling proper or with adequate cooling. A 3770k is bloody hard to keep stable at that clock speed, with water cooling.

I don't think that's the case for me... Using a Corsair H100i cooling system. My CPU barely gets to 65 C when running stress tests. Also this occurs during loading so the temps shouldn't be that high right?
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    edited September 2013
    Turbine wrote: »

I don't think that's the case for me... Using a Corsair H100i cooling system. My CPU barely gets to 65 C when running stress tests. Also this occurs during loading so the temps shouldn't be that high right?

Yeah, that's a good point. I've only had the bluescreen on load happen to me once, but it was exactly as the map finished loading and as the load screen disappeared so the timing seemed a bit suspicious to me. We'll see if we can figure it out but like I said we have almost no data on this one so it could be a bit before we even begin to get a lead (and that's assuming the problem is in NS2).

For what it's worth I just upgraded my nVidia drivers last Thursday, and I've heard scuttlebutt from friends that have had some crashes since they updated as well. Rumors, though, so don't put too much stock into that. Unless I'm misreading your dxdiag it looks like you have the same drivers, so you could try a rollback and see if that works (I haven't gotten around to it yet but I haven't had the crash in a few days either).

Max has been doing quite a lot of engine optimization work this week on 258 so it's entirely possible this is already fixed somewhere in the internal build.
    @Narfwak yeah I'll try the rollback, might as well try something right? I too updated my drivers the other day right before this started happening, but we'll see. Thanks for the help though
    @Side1Bu2Rnz9 let me know if you get this crash again, talking to Brian and Max about it.