SDK or Editor only - Open Source release ?

JoseppeJoseppe Join Date: 2012-01-21 Member: 141497Members
Is there a little chance ?

Many more people play the game instead mapping for it, so its understandable the UWE DEV team hasnt the ressources to do much for the SDK.
I guess there are some people (like me) who like to improve the editor. Its months now and the only change on the SDK are added bugs ;)

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Joseppe wrote: »
    Its months now and the only change on the SDK are added bugs ;)

Hey now, at least we get something :>

I guess this could potentially work yeah, I mean the HL compile tools were a community (HL in general) project as well. The editor also needs some serious love in terms of texturing and general user interface friendliness. It's already a lot better then during the alpha/beta days, but still I find it mostly frustrating to use (texturing)
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Mayybe, but how would one test the editor/sdk's effects on the actual game? O.o
    Im afraid the way the game and the tools are designed, this won't happen. and its not really feasible too either.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    AuroN2 wrote: »
    Mayybe, but how would one test the editor/sdk's effects on the actual game? O.o
    Im afraid the way the game and the tools are designed, this won't happen. and its not really feasible too either.

If I understand them correctly, what will most likely come of this is better TOOLS in the editor. Ie the map file format won't be affected at all, the editor will just let the user do more, in less time. Like they mentioned, texturing is a nightmare, especially with curves. Now if they open source this, somebody might come along and write a tool to help texturing along adjacent face loops to make it easier. This isn't something that the game will ever know exists. All the game does is read the .level files. All the editor does is write the .level files.
  • JoseppeJoseppe Join Date: 2012-01-21 Member: 141497Members
    edited September 2013
    AuroN2 wrote: »
    Mayybe, but how would one test the editor/sdk's effects on the actual game? .

In my opinion, this should be only changes to the Editors User Interface and adding new features to handle geometry / textures more easily.
    Its NOT about new ingame effects, its only about the handling & working with the editors.

the level-file-format & cinematic-file-format should not be touched.
    so loading / interpreting a level with all assets, effects should always be the same.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    i liked the halo 3 idiot proof level editor, probably the only game I could map for...... then again even then my maps were terrible
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Yea but Halo 3 had a map editor in the sense that "let's take a pre-made map and throw a bunch of crap onto it" is a completely new map. There was no editing vertices and placing lights, etc.
    Insane wrote: »
    I don't expect we will be open-sourcing the Editor, but we definitely have robust ongoing plans for improving our Editor/SDK. I can't make any guarantees about what will happen when, since that's just the nature of developing your own tech with a small team.

Either way, I'm just glad to hear the editor is getting some love.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Insane wrote: »
    I don't expect we will be open-sourcing the Editor, but we definitely have robust ongoing plans for improving our Editor/SDK. I can't make any guarantees about what will happen when, since that's just the nature of developing your own tech with a small team.

Even if NS2 probably won't sell much more than early days, it is always better to get more maps.
    One the things that made Farcry top of the line. Not because of the game itself which is really empty. But the editor. I was surprised to have people asking me some bug fix 3 years after the game was not on sale anymore.

Editors improved + some videos (for basic tutorials) and it's ok.
    The faster you can make map, the best it is for increase the numbers.
    Yes, we gonna have some crappy maps too, but those will be sent to oblivion fast.