Steam OS

13»

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Sarcasm does not translate in text unless you really push it. My mistak
    Racer1 wrote: »
    This is actually the first console that I'm (maybe) interesting in buying for me (not my kids). It all depends how many of my existing steam games get ported to run on it.

I'd build one myself.

• 0ni0ni Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Members
    http://repo.steamstatic.com/download/

It hasn't been announced yet but you can grab it sneaky like if you want. :)
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    Any word on when they're going to be selling owls separately?

--Scythe--
    We'll find out more about that at CES 2014 January 7th to 10th.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    Anyone actually tried it yet? I'm tempted to set up an alternate boot to see how stuff runs on it.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    I've tried it. Its nvidia only currently so I had to use my GTX 295.

They made a strange decision and currently sound only works via HDMI (assuming because most people will use this on their tvs), meaning no voice chat and I had no sound (couldn't get my gtx 295 to output via HDMI). There's very limited configuration, in fact there was no Nvidia control panel at all.

Other than that it seems stable enough but I'll probably be buying a prebuilt steammachine instead now because of the hassle I went through to get the damn thing to (not quite) work.

Also it didn't work on my laptop, aparently they have drivers only for desktop hardware so that was a bummer. My laptop has a GT 630M.

Verdict: Wait for the full release(or at least the streaming software is implemented), until then just use big picture mode if you must.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    Ironsoul wrote: »
    They made a strange decision and currently sound only works via HDMI (assuming because most people will use this on their tvs), meaning no voice chat and I had no sound (couldn't get my gtx 295 to output via HDMI). There's very limited configuration, in fact there was no Nvidia control panel at all.

That is really weird and pretty much a deal-breaker for me too. I think they're going to have to change that if they want to get anyone to try it out on a PC and not just a box they're going to build as their own "Steam Box."
  • SvardskampeSvardskampe Join Date: 2013-01-25 Member: 182079Members
    Ironsoul wrote: »

@Ironsoul: Beta is beta, and that means finicking around with the terminal.
    This may help you somewhat: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Setup_audio_over_HDMI_on_nVidia_GeForce/nForce_controller

But honestly, if I'm going to make a steambox, I'm putting windows 8 on it. Everything that is bad about windows 8 as a desktop OS, is great for it as a console OS. Easy controllable interface with the controller, much support from the majority of games and drivers primarily made for that OS.

It's even viable to run a PC-console at this very moment with Windows 8 and an Xbox360 controller (or PS3 controller what I'm using via MotionInJoy to emulate an xbox360 controller with a sitecom BT stick for wireless), while SteamOS is in a very early beta.

I must say, it's a great experience together with XBMC and a rapoo wireless keyboard make it a very stylish workable combination in the living room for a better all-in-one mediabox than the Xbox One has even promised to be.

I can even stream wirelessly via Splashtop onto my Nexus tablet on the toilet (nvidia shield-like functionality). Tablets can generally output to any bigger monitor too, so everything synergizes extremely well.

edited December 2013
    @Svardskampe oh I've already uninstalled it. I'm not interested in mucking around in a terminal.

Also, don't use motioninjoy, it's adware always online drm (s***). Use this: http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wrapper-for-DS3-and-Play-com-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller

Also for streaming from your desktop to your tablet, use kainy: http://www.kainy.com/ better latency, designed for playing games remotely.
  • SvardskampeSvardskampe Join Date: 2013-01-25 Member: 182079Members
    edited December 2013
    @Ironsoul thanks for the alternatives. Will try them out as splashtop doesn't work for fullscreen games with ATI cards, and the pcsx2 solution might be better.

And well, I do not have any ads with MotionInjoy whatsoever though;

5ZRnK.png, and it works offline too using the files given in a topic over there you have to place in the install folder.

Given that I have quite an extensive list of ad-based urls redirected to localhost in my hosts file. I never see any ad in no program whatsoever which is normally adbased, like Skype.

All you have to do is to go to
    C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

Move hosts file onto desktop (it will be in use when you try to adapt it directly).

Paste in a few lists, quite common on the internet.

Here is a good one for example:
    http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/

You can also do this on your android phone, given having root rights. This will disable all in-app ads.
    Cool stuff, I'll remember that when I want to get rid of ads. Although I'd rather avoid them trying to be there in the first place. although I think the pcsx2 option is superior because it simply makes the computer think the ps3 controller is an xbox controller passively rather than requiring a separate program to run... Also PS4 controller support aww yeah.