Keep Marine Strafejumping

124»

Comments

• CanucckCanucck Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72987Members
    IronHorse wrote: »
    @derwalter
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Like I've always said : if you can provide video evidence of actual hit registration issues you will win front page credits, a copy of the game, and some other goodies from me. (video must be 720p 30 fps minimum, h264 compression, and net_stats enabled)

Until then, my guess is you are either missing the tight hit boxes, or experiencing high latency /low tick rate.

And because its you.. i'll add on top of that a personal $50 US dollars.
    Now go provide a video backing up your allegations so that everyone can believe you, and the problem can be solved - if in fact it actually exists.
    /derailment

I don't understand how you can play this game as much as you have and not see hit detection issues. Fades can be close enough to cover the entire default circle/crosshair on shotguns and it's still common to do only ~60dmg. I'm sure it's mostly the horrible server performance since for the most part it only starts becoming a big issue after 15-20min depending on server size, but I hope you aren't trying claim that server performance is perfect too.....

• DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    I'm surprised this is an argument when being shot around corners is still a thing. Most of the complaints just sound like whining to be honest. So what if the marines can move a bit quicker now, you can still kill them very easily by doing what the skulk is supposed to do (i.e. ambush, parasite-bite-bite). It definitely makes hitting things as a fade a little more challenging but 1 on 1 you should still kill a marine easily with fade. If marines jumping a little faster has completely wrecked your skulk game, well you're probably doing it wrong.
  • Disco_StuDisco_Stu Join Date: 2013-09-07 Member: 187965Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    What the F*** is all this nonsense about Quake and making this game "Believable" or "Realistic"?!?

First of all: It's a VIDEO GAME. It's not supposed to be Believable.

Secondly: Have you seen the suits the marines wear? How clunky, big, and heavy (but also futuristic) they look? As far as I can tell this game was designed to be "Futuristic" or "Sci Fi". I'll be damned if those marines can keep on trucking for a whole hour (yes I've been in a game that's lasted an hour) without some freaking hi-tech suits and/or stimulants. Or heck, futuristic suits that inject stimulants into the marines every few minutes or whatever. It is not so unlikely then that the suits have advanced technolgy that allows them to jump higher than a human normally does or even a bit faster.

Seriously what do you think this game is? Real life? HA! Get a f***ing grip!!! LOL

It's like watching a bunch of kids argue about whether or not something is OP in Star Trek/Star Wars. HAHAHAHAHA
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    ok ... you over-did it.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    @Disco_Stu Wow dude, you've been in a game that lasted an hour?

Tell me more, bro.
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    @Davil when you get shot around a corner think of it this way. You got shot before you went around the corner but b/c of adrenaline you didn't feel it, then as you went around the corner your heart exploded as you bleed out.

Also remember that time you shot the skulk or fade just as he was about to round the corner "bam! Got ya" for you it was perfectly legit, for him he thought he was safe. Now was it skill on your part that killed him? Or was it a latency kill?

If they fixed it, so you didn't die around the corner (magical instant internet communication) you would simply die 1/10 of a second sooner before you got around the corner. Would it be less frustrating? Probably. Would the out come change? Nope, your dead.
  • AsmodiesAsmodies Join Date: 2004-06-17 Member: 29353Members
    It's not "magical instant internet", 250ms of interp is completely overdoing it resulting in at least a 1/3rd of a second disconnect between clients at 50 ping. Because of this collision, hitboxes, and melee attacks get more and more disjointed the faster the client goes by a much larger magnitude than you see in most games. This is why people with even 100 ping on marines can kill you by shooting where you were almost a full second ago if you're leaping/blinking/flying.

This is part of the reason why the strafejump is so bad, it accelerates the marine in an instant, disjointing their hitbox out of melee range before the jump completely graphically registers on an aliens client.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    Interpolation delay in Spark is 100ms, not 250.

Strafejump only adds +1 m/s to your current speed, the rest comes from the normal ground/air acceleration of the marine.

People with 100ms ping cannot shoot where you were 1 second ago, they need to shoot where you are on their screen.

The maximum amount of 'disconnect' between what you see client side and what occurs server side should be a function of the update rate and command rate. Since you instruct the server on any input changes 30 times a second, the server would at most be 33ms behind your change, amounting to an adjustment of at most realistically .25 meters. This amount would most likely always be less since you need to send a move command with no input, then the next would contain the opposite directional movement. That would then need to propagate to all clients, who would then be dependent on the next client update, a maximum of 50ms after the server updates. That amounts to at worst a correction of .66 meters. This is calculated on an object moving at 8m/s, and then stopping completely in an instant. This obviously is a completely unrealistic calculation as the only probable occurrence of this is colliding with something, which would be predicted thus eliminating the discrepancy.

I still stand by the fact that most people suffer from disorientation when marines jump simply due to the marine jump animation being quite strange, and less by the fact that the marine can actually dodge now. Compound that with low client update rate (20), low client command rate (30), high default interpolation (100) and moderately fast moving objects, your bound to have troubles.
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    maD_maX_ wrote: »
    @Davil when you get shot around a corner think of it this way. You got shot before you went around the corner but b/c of adrenaline you didn't feel it, then as you went around the corner your heart exploded as you bleed out.

Also remember that time you shot the skulk or fade just as he was about to round the corner "bam! Got ya" for you it was perfectly legit, for him he thought he was safe. Now was it skill on your part that killed him? Or was it a latency kill?

If they fixed it, so you didn't die around the corner (magical instant internet communication) you would simply die 1/10 of a second sooner before you got around the corner. Would it be less frustrating? Probably. Would the out come change? Nope, your dead.

No I know how it works, and yea from their perspective it seems right, but I've been for example down the hallway connecting ore processing and repair, like all the way down it and I die from someone in ore processing, that's quite a distance to have traveled before dying. I have a pretty fast connection so I'm usually playing with a ping of around 50-90 and when people who have a ping of like 300+ that's where it starts getting intensely stupid. To me people can be pointing the wrong way and shooting me and it's extremely disorienting.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    xDragon wrote: »
    I still stand by the fact that most people suffer from disorientation when marines jump simply due to the marine jump animation being quite strange, and less by the fact that the marine can actually dodge now. Compound that with low client update rate (20), low client command rate (30), high default interpolation (100) and moderately fast moving objects, your bound to have troubles.

I follow them perfectly. There is a "glitch". Whatever the server/mod, FPS (never below 90), and pings (50-100).
    It :
    -is a broken mechanic that don't solve the main problems
    -is a dumb maneuver as it is overused so it is ridiculous.
    -doesn't solve lag issues.
    -needs to go.

That's not the only thing.
  • VicentoVicento Join Date: 2007-04-21 Member: 60683Members
    aliens got rebaleanced sooooo many times....marine can be balanced ONE time :)
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    If a marine jukes you and you know you're not going to be able to get a good lock on him for the finishing bite or two, heres a good tactic- SEEK COVER AND RE-ENGAGE. Try and bait another reload out of him or something.
    Much of the time strafejumping marines will disorientate themselves as much as they do you, and you can use this to your advantage.
    If a marine jukes you and you know you're not going to be able to get a good lock on him for the finishing bite or two, heres a good tactic- SEEK COVER AND RE-ENGAGE. Try and bait another reload out of him or something.
    Much of the time strafejumping marines will disorientate themselves as much as they do you, and you can use this to your advantage.

I don't play against people that are kind enough to give me time to get to another wall after that jump, and most seem to keep track of me just fine during their own jump. You'd also have to get them to reload both their lmg and pistol to have a clear window. So presuming the rine can track you off a strafe jump and won't let you ground skulk away to a wall or cover, and he knows he has a pistol to use while reloading, then what?
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Asmodies wrote: »

I don't play against people that are kind enough to give me time to get to another wall after that jump, and most seem to keep track of me just fine during their own jump. You'd also have to get them to reload both their lmg and pistol to have a clear window. So presuming the rine can track you off a strafe jump and won't let you ground skulk away to a wall or cover, and he knows he has a pistol to use while reloading, then what?

I play against skilled players too.

How can you explain the discrepancy between [what you say], and [what I say]?

Assuming that neither one of us is lying, EITHER you're at a huge skill disadvantage to the people you play against, or I'm some kind of god-skulk. Choose whichever one you like.
    I think your assertion is the less likely one, considering you're presuming you can get a bite in and get completely off screen while the rine sprays his whole clip out as you give you a chance to come back during a reload to kill them. Everything you're asserting works against skilled marines takes time, time enough for them to flat out kill you.
    you've gotta be a troll... you've just gotta be
    you've gotta be a troll... you've just gotta be

Trolls tend to post off-topic, state opinion as fact, childishly dismiss anyone who disagrees with them, spout catchphrases like "L2P" and call others trolls during disagreements as opposed to answering questions or providing evidence for their assertions. In short, this last post of yours is pretty troll-like.

That aside, I play with marines that will take that full second you're giving them by trying to get over to a wall and hop away to put enough lmg shots in you to kill you. The strafejump will always give enough time for a good rine to target, and have a decent chance at killing, a skulk even in an ambush. The only thing you can do to retain any speed is to do a drive-by bite where you don't collide with the marine or turn in the air at all, and while flying past them you get a bite and keep the wallhop going. However, that's really room situational and telegraphs you're coming to do it, but that's the only way you can retain speed, get a bite in, and get out without the marine having enough time to kill you.

• xnorxnor Join Date: 2013-09-06 Member: 187916Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited October 2013
    It's completely ridiculous that the marine jump seems to completely ignore inertia. They look like grasshoppers just without the delay between jumps...

If you're getting outjuked by marines, you need to evaluate what movement options you are utilizing during combat. And stop sucking so hard.

It's depressing... It feels that if marine movement got nerfed I can imagine my hit% as skulk will jump to 100% and combat will become easy/boring.
    Are you afraid that you will suck after they fix this?

Obviously, marines are gonna need a change in their favor. What about making skulk bite a bit weaker against marines?

That way marines with better aim will be rewarded, and when a skulk gets close there is still some time to defend yourself.
  • Ugly_JimUgly_Jim Join Date: 2002-11-29 Member: 10235Members
    edited October 2013
    I feel like strafe jumping is a cool way of increasing the skill cap and adding more depth to the game. It makes it more interesting to watch tournaments and might help the game have a longer lifespan. It's possible that it needs some minor tweaks but I would be sad if it got removed forever.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    @Canucck
    If you 'experience' hitdetection issues that much, do what he suggests? Record it on high quality, win glory & 50 dollar.
    YES its stated & known that server performance isnt always up to par. And I am pretty sure any 'hitdetection' issues are no hitdetection issues at all but server performance issues.
    Actually considering the amount of servers i have seen tanking rates, im very sure.
  • BobRossTheBossBobRossTheBoss Join Date: 2012-12-31 Member: 176824Members
    edited October 2013

This relies more on the marine to have really bad aim, to sit there and spray his/her lmg at you instead of burst firing, and to completely forget about his/her pistol and reload than any skill or strategy on your part.

Used to be if a marine missed you that much during the approach they were dead unless they actually juked you (not standing still and strafe jumping out of vision, but faking a direction and jumping the other way). Both of these things required a decent amount of practice to get right, which created a noticeable skill disparity between good and bad marines. Strafejumping, however, can be pulled off quite decently by even the newest players.
  • BriligBrilig Join Date: 2009-01-01 Member: 65938Members
    I'd vote for less strafe jumping if there was a better rifle smash.
    xnor wrote: »
    It's completely ridiculous that the marine jump seems to completely ignore inertia. They look like grasshoppers just without the delay between jumps...

If you're getting outjuked by marines, you need to evaluate what movement options you are utilizing during combat. And stop sucking so hard.

It's depressing... It feels that if marine movement got nerfed I can imagine my hit% as skulk will jump to 100% and combat will become easy/boring.
    Are you afraid that you will suck after they fix this?

Obviously, marines are gonna need a change in their favor. What about making skulk bite a bit weaker against marines?

That way marines with better aim will be rewarded, and when a skulk gets close there is still some time to defend yourself.

The 3 bites (armor 0) is the rule. I would prefer a faster IP. Even if it encourages turtling.

I tend to see marines as "constant deployment", and Alien as hunter.
    -Hunters have to keep their lives to be able to track preys.
    -Constant deployment provides unknown situation for alien (where is he now that i killed him ? They know where he died etc...) as changing places must be the rule.