Weapons or Armour 1 first?

male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
edited September 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
After watching the Saunamen vs Snails game for NSL, I noticed they rush Weapons 1 first.

Here is some math of why I think this happened:

Killing skulk under <2 seconds
70 + 10 armour + 1.4 hp regen = 91.4hp
Weapons 0 = 10 bullets = 100 damage
Weapons 1 = 9 bullets = 99 damage

70 + 30 armour +1 hp regen = 131.4 hp
Weapons 0 = 14 bullets = 140 damage
Weapons 1 = 12 bullets = 132dmg

Killing skulk under <4 seconds
70 + 10 armour + 2.8 hp regen = 92.8hp

70 + 30 armour +2.8 hp regen = 132.8 hp
Weapons 1 = 13 bullets = 143dmg

If you can kill the skulk in under 2 seconds with weapons 1 LMG, instead of carapace providing an effective HP gain of 40%, it will gain 20%.

If you can kill the skulk in between 2-4 seconds with weapons 1 LMG, the effectiveness of carapace will be 30% and not 20%.

Shotgun on Fully Matured RT
Note: Res towers do not have passive regeneration

Shotgun shot lvl 0 weapon = 160 damage
Shotgun level 1 weapon = 176 damage

HP = 2940HP

Weapons 0 = 19 shots = 3040dmg
Weapons 1 = 17 shots = 2992dmg

LMG on Fully Matured RT
Level 0 = 294 bullets or 6 LMG reloads
Level 1 = 268 bullets or 6 LMG reloads

Summary
Weapons 1 has nearly zero benefit killing a fully matured res tower.
Weapons 1 reduces effective HP of carapace skulk by 20%, instead of 10% if killed in under 2 seconds.

My opinion is armor 1 is still stronger, but after seeing the top teams go weapons 1 i'm questioning myself. Any other reasons you can think of?

Comments

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2013
    Armor 1 then, weapons 1. That way when people can't aim they at least have a longer chance to kill the alien. Weapons 1 doesn't do that much if the bullets don't actually hit an alien.
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    Samus: Notice how I wrote Suanamen vs Snails... The two top teams atm, they can aim..
  • iClearSkiesiClearSkies Join Date: 2012-09-22 Member: 160359Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    You can go either, however take into consideration if your team can actually AIM and HIT the enemy. If your enemy cant hit the broad side of a barn I suggest Armor 1 first. If the map is HUGE and you have a lot of new players or want to expand rapidly I suggest Phase Tech research first for portals.
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    Sigh... Can a mod please move this to the competitive forum.
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    Since he's talking about comp teams it's safe to say they can aim pretty well. I look at it this way, aggression is often the best tactic, and marines have a large advantage early game due to range if they can aim well. Armor 1 is only going to give one extra bite but in a comp game aliens don't miss so much so if they get in close enough to attack you're probably screwed anyway. So I see it as playing towards the marine strength of having greater range vice trying to shore up their inherent weakness.
  • shriikeshriike Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184461Members
    edited September 2013
    Davil wrote: »
    Since he's talking about comp teams it's safe to say they can aim pretty well. I look at it this way, aggression is often the best tactic, and marines have a large advantage early game due to range if they can aim well. Armor 1 is only going to give one extra bite but in a comp game aliens don't miss so much so if they get in close enough to attack you're probably screwed anyway. So I see it as playing towards the marine strength of having greater range vice trying to shore up their inherent weakness.

That is basically the reason. Also armor 1 doesn't change how many fade swipes it takes to kill a marine, so a lot of higher teams rush weapons 2 just to try to kill lifeforms better.
    Armour 1 is a basic requirement because of lerk. That is why if a team knows your rushing fast phase gates, they will double lerk and pin you on the phase gates
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I go w1 first yep.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2013
    Well, I assumed you weren't talking competitively since it wasn't in the competitive forums, only referencing. I wouldn't see why not wep 1 then if it is competitive.
  • iClearSkiesiClearSkies Join Date: 2012-09-22 Member: 160359Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I prefer a 12 pool with a zerg rush to counter the world.
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    I go w1 first yep.

Curious to know why Ghost?

Weapons 1 provides only a 1 bullet difference and no one in Australia apart from Lord Mayor goes Crag hive. Early weapons 1 only is a good advantage when a team goes crag hive over veil/shift.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I go w1 first yep.

Curious to know why Ghost?

Weapons 1 provides only a 1 bullet difference and no one in Australia apart from Lord Mayor goes Crag hive. Early weapons 1 only is a good advantage when a team goes crag hive over veil/shift.

a1 protects from a para only, I can med that, so you really need a2 for it to be useful, if you HAVE struggled to get ups then getting weapons after that could be quite late, and I think weapon ups are very important for mid game with shotguns.
  • BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
    After watching the Saunamen vs Snails game for NSL, I noticed they rush Weapons 1 first.

Here is some math of why I think this happened:

Killing skulk under <2 seconds
    70 + 10 armour + 1.4 hp regen = 91.4hp

70 + 30 armour +1 hp regen = 131.4 hp
    Weapons 1 = 12 bullets = 132dmg

Killing skulk under <4 seconds
    70 + 10 armour + 2.8 hp regen = 92.8hp

70 + 30 armour +2.8 hp regen = 132.8 hp
    Weapons 1 = 13 bullets = 143dmg

If you can kill the skulk in under 2 seconds with weapons 1 LMG, instead of carapace providing an effective HP gain of 40%, it will gain 20%.

If you can kill the skulk in between 2-4 seconds with weapons 1 LMG, the effectiveness of carapace will be 30% and not 20%.

HP = 2940HP

LMG on Fully Matured RT

Summary
    Weapons 1 reduces effective HP of carapace skulk by 20%, instead of 10% if killed in under 2 seconds.

My opinion is armor 1 is still stronger, but after seeing the top teams go weapons 1 i'm questioning myself. Any other reasons you can think of?

You do forget that most of the time RTs are being taken down by more than one player. So for example in competitive it's usually two players and in public it's usually 2-4. So in effect you're going to take it down even faster.

edited September 2013

You do forget that most of the time RTs are being taken down by more than one player. So for example in competitive it's usually two players and in public it's usually 2-4. So in effect you're going to take it down even faster.

It still takes 6 clips regardless. If that 6 clips is divided between 2 players, it makes no difference. W0 and W1 are the same for killing RT's
    a1 protects from a para only, I can med that, so you really need a2 for it to be useful, if you HAVE struggled to get ups then getting weapons after that could be quite late, and I think weapon ups are very important for mid game with shotguns.

Maybe with head-on engagements, armor 1 certainly shows its strength against ambush engagements though.

• DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    It still takes 6 clips regardless. If that 6 clips is divided between 2 players, it makes no difference. W0 and W1 are the same for killing RT's

Magazines not clips. You're trying to base your entire game off of taking more damage and saying 1 more bite is better than 1 or 2 less bullets. To put that in perspective... No it makes no difference to have one more bite really. The idea is to kill them before they get to you, and you have problem with your math as well. You're assuming one on one, but rarely in a comp game is that the case, usually you have groups of at least 2 so you gotta cut that time in half so those 9 bullets are gonna go a lot quicker. If you have 2 marines and 50 bullets from each you basically only need to hit about 10% of your shots to kill them, less with weapons 1. So in that case armor doesn't help at all and with a welder, who cares. As far as lerks go it's a difference of about 2 bullets but the armor doesn't matter so much cause like someone said, med packs.
    Yep, pretty much what @Davil said. If they get to you, either 1-2 meds will save you, or you don't deserve to live anyway imo. If you're playing so they die before they get to you (which you should be) then armour ups don't' actually help at all.

Also, if you're getting dropped on then you need to be more careful, you don't go, "oh we're going to be ambushed in some room ahead, better get those armour ups so we don't die".
  • skulkgatoskulkgato Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183645Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited September 2013
    Any good commanders care to comment?
    btw thank you OP for that compilation of hard data
    skulkgato wrote: »
    Any good commanders care to comment?

Oh snap.
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    Ghost is a good commander... one of the top lol.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited September 2013
    this has been discussed to great length before - i still think it doesn't make much of a difference as long as you have the most important upgrade which is A1 before fades. unless it's changed so fade no longer 2-shots A0, this will always be the concern.

all of those calculations are is unnecessary. it's just common sense a weapons upgrade benefits you all the time and armor upgrade only benefits you when it saves your life i.e. when you're under 40 hp (from your A1 pool of 200 hp)
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Why stop at W1. W2 than A1 imo.
  • GoldenGolden Join Date: 2004-09-01 Member: 31169Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Even the best commanders can't be medding every engagement, and at some point you're going to get ambushed no matter how careful you play. If you notice, both Snails and Saunamen pour res into medpacks, which delays their upgrades sometimes.

In my opinion, Armor 1 first is the more effective upgrade, if your marines can aim. It limits your marine-supportive res expenditures and extends their life expectancies (insert quote about most valuable asset being a marine on the field said by some commander at some point). In fact, I'd go so far as to say that Weapons 1 has little to no impact on skulk killing ability and, if you can keep the alien team to just skulks, Armor 2 would be the more effective second upgrade.

Weapon upgrades come into play against things with more health, i.e. fades, lerks, and harvesters. I don't really feel like doing the math for the lifeforms, buts lets take your example of the harvester:

HP = 2940HP

LMG on Fully Matured RT

Summary

Here you state that Weapons 1 has zero benefit for killing a fully matured harvester, but that simply is not the case. The difference is 294 - 268 = 26 bullets, more than half a magazine! That's 2.5 skulks you can kill while you're shooting the harvester. It's also time (~1.5 seconds?) which is a lot in a pressure situation. As for the shotgun, it's two less shells. Meaning less time spent reloading and more time ready for that inevitable hit.

My conclusion - it depends entirely on your team. If you play really aggressively, pressure all out and want to spend res on winning before aliens get higher lifeforms (by crushing their res), Weapons upgrades > Armor upgrades. However, if you want to play slower, conserve, res, and win the long game, Armor upgrades are the way to go.
    Jekt wrote: »
    Why stop at W1. W2 than A1 imo.

Yeah I do this. (Most of the time).
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    You can spin this the other way, but I'd say active use of welders would make a1 the better choice.

But, as a few have already said, it's more of a strategic/tactical decision - there isn't really a 'best' choice.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    If your marines can shoot = w1 (really only relevant for high-level comp play)

If your marines can't shoot = a1 (prevents 2 bite+para and adds extra cushion against lerks)
  • casan0vaxcasan0vax Cloverfield, USA Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166663Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Listen. To. The Aussies.
  • tummy_yummytummy_yummy Join Date: 2013-05-01 Member: 185073Members, Reinforced - Gold, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited September 2013
    (insert quote about most valuable asset being a marine on the field said by some commander at some point)
    I find myself using this whenever I get growled at for early meds. But it's pretty much always worth it, unless the player is a really bad shot...

If your marines can shoot = w1 (really only relevant for high-level comp play)

If your marines can't shoot = a1 (prevents 2 bite+para and adds extra cushion against lerks)
    Replace 'shoot' with 'jump' in my case :)
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    I'm of the view that a1 is pointless in pubgames because people can't aim and don't know what the heck they are doing, and don't follow orders even if you do tell them. Usually it's more experienced players that go alien. If the skulk has already gotten within biting range, having to bite 3x with A1 vs 2x is a minimal hindrance. If the player has let the skulk get that close already, it is clear that the extra time from A1 is not gonna help them get the skulk down. Better to go W1 first so that there's more overall damage inflicted when a single or group of marines fresh out of MW3 who can't aim sprays wildly.

Higher chance of killing the skulk with W1 is better than increased time before death with A1.