Muzzle flash

Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited September 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
Just a tiny thing for marine weapons.

Although the guns have very distinct muzzle flashes *in terms of spawning a particle/alpha... there is no light source created in FP or thirdperson when a marine fires a weapon. It would definitely add to the games immersion / graphical cohesion quite a bit if that occurred.

Similarly, sparks from ricochets do not create tiny little light source when they hit like they used to.

Comments

• KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    I am quite sure true dynamic lights are quite expensive in terms of performance, that's why many games opt for lightmaps. The game surely does not need any more performance hogs. You are right, it could be nice in dark rooms, though.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Kamamura wrote: »
    I am quite sure true dynamic lights are quite expensive in terms of performance, that's why many games opt for lightmaps. The game surely does not need any more performance hogs. You are right, it could be nice in dark rooms, though.
    NS2 is fully dynamically lit.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Even if it lasted for a .5th of a second many people would experience severe drops in performance. Maybe when ns2 is more.. optimized.
  • MrRadicalEdMrRadicalEd Turrent Master Join Date: 2004-08-13 Member: 30601Members
    The only difficulty in this lies in the fact that lighting comes from point based entities.. lights are never produced via assigned textures, ala Source and Quake engine games. How does dynamic infestation tell a particular point of light to turn "off" ?
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    This seems kind of pointless and annoying.
  • NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Everyone is talking about performance

If something like this was added, im sure there would be an option under graphics to disable it if it did affect your performance
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Fair enough, I wasn't concerned about performance though.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    Spark engine allows NS2 to spawn shadowless lights with little to no performance cost. Performance considerations should be minute. (hence the tons of real time lights everywhere in the game).

Aesthetically it is anyones game, I would happen to like it!