NS2 unplayable with 3GB RAM?

The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
Hey,

I had to take one of my 4 1GB RAM sticks out because it was damaged (or maybe the mainboard slot is, I don't know). So I am left with WIndows 7 64bit and only 3GB RAM now.
I get "playable" fps in the game (without exo/flame/bile/...) but every (let's say) 5 seconds I get a frame drop to 0 (!) fps for another 5 seconds. Sometimes more. Especially in rooms I never visited before in that round. Sometimes one of that fps drop occured 0,0001 second after another has already occured. It is pretty much unplayable.
I tried to close all unnecessary applications to give NS2 as much RAM as possible but it does not help. Setting priority of ns2.exe to high does not help. Disable Aero does not help.
Any chance I can fix this?

Comments

• TurbineTurbine Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159160Members
    edited September 2013
    To be honest around 2008 I occasionally ran out of 4gb ram. So 3 in this day and age isn't a lot at all.

If your lack of ram is to blame, perhaps you could use 32-bit Windows and tweak it (turn of necessaries) to free up some memory? 32-bit uses less, remember most people use 64-bit to get around the capacity limits.

Or perhaps it's your hdd, I've heard people without SSD's are getting constant pauses.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Indeed we are
    Like for example
    10 minute load times.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Pretty sure you can pick up about 8gb of ram for less than $50, maybe it's time to do a little upgrade
  • OuchOfDeathOuchOfDeath Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182825Members
    Drop your texture quality setting if it's above low. Textures by far take the most memory.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    Low texture quality and texture streaming activated may help. If not, you have to invest the 50$.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Turbine wrote: »
    To be honest around 2008 I occasionally ran out of 4gb ram. So 3 in this day and age isn't a lot at all.

If your lack of ram is to blame, perhaps you could use 32-bit Windows and tweak it (turn of necessaries) to free up some memory? 32-bit uses less, remember most people use 64-bit to get around the capacity limits.
    Ya I chose 64bit only because I bought 4GB RAM.
    Or perhaps it's your hdd, I've heard people without SSD's are getting constant pauses.
    It worked "fine" with 4GB and does work "fine" when I play on the laptop that neither got an SSD.
    ezekel wrote: »
    Pretty sure you can pick up about 8gb of ram for less than $50, maybe it's time to do a little upgrade
    The costs for 4GB kits (2x2) BEGIN with 50€ (=67$). But I think I would have to buy more expensive RAM because it needs to handle my CPU OC (more than 50%). The problem is here my PC is that old it needs DDR2, not DDR3.

@OuchOfDeath & dePARA:
    Texture streaming was always on BUT I lowered the texture quality to low. I don't get fps drops to 0 anymore - but in battle it still drops very heavily. But I think it is playable now (well when you do not consider the mouse problems since Reinforced that make hitting anything impossible with low fps).

Thanks for the help!