Strange server ping fluctuations??

MoFoMoFo Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188047Members
edited September 2013 in Technical Support
I'm having a strange issue with a few specific servers that is really puzzling me.

So far I've only noticed it with the KKG servers, and Mavicks pub. Like 90% of the time my ping to them is between 80-100ms... However at seemingly random times they will be 200-250+... Then later (sometimes minutes, sometimes hours) they'll be back to 80-100ms.

I'm sure it's not my internet, because my ping to other servers (HyperionGaming for example) doesn't change.

I have never seen this happen in any other online game. Anyone else have this, or an idea of what it might be?

Comments

• PaajtorPaajtor Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168634Members
    hmm maybe it's when players join a running battle?...downloading mods, skins etc.
    Sometimes, I have a 999ms ping for a little while after joining, but it quickly goes down to normal level (30-40ms, in my case).
    Could be this sort of things, not sure.
  • MoFoMoFo Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188047Members
    Paajtor wrote: »
    Sometimes, I have a 999ms ping for a little while after joining, but it quickly goes down to normal level (30-40ms, in my case).
    Could be this sort of things, not sure.

That's what I figured it was initially. Saw the servers at 200-250+ in the browser, but joined anyway figuring it would go down, or was a glitch, etc. Strange thing is my ping stayed at the 200-250+ area.

• UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Also : try some Traceroutes to see if the return path is the same. Some time it has an effect.
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    MoFo wrote: »
    I'm sure it's not my internet, because my ping to other servers (HyperionGaming for example) doesn't change.

If it doesn't happen to every other player on the server then yeah, it does sound like your... um... Internet.

Different servers will have different routes to them from your client. It's not uncommon that only some users experience problems with specific servers due to some issue along their path.

This utility can be useful from tracking down such problems.
    http://winmtr.net/
  • MoFoMoFo Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188047Members
    lwf wrote: »
    Different servers will have different routes to them from your client. It's not uncommon that only some users experience problems with specific servers due to some issue along their path.

Well that would explain it. Odd I've never experienced this before.

Thanks for the reply.

• MavickMavick Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168138Members
    Not sure about KKG, but the datacenter that my server is on (NS2servers at Chicago) has been having trouble with getting DDOS'd for the past few months that's causing all the ping/lag problems. It's supposed to be moving to a bigger better datacenter around the 1st of October, and the issues should be gone then.