The Axe

KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
edited September 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
Here is a weapon that is slowly getting pushed across the border of usefulness by the changes of the recent patches. Which IMO is a pity, because the weapon model is quite nicely rendered, and the weapon itself is an elaborate joke in itself - I mean, what sci-fi age military body would issue an obviously expensive, complicated, but at the same time primitive and quite useless retractable axe to their troops?

I understand the notion of having a default, reliable close combat weapon when you run out of ammo, that still have a niche use (structure damage), but with welders now being essential for marines to repair armor, and thus take advantage of the crucial and expensive armor upgrades, axe has changed from a viable option (more structural damage, no ability to repair) to clear liability (can't keep your team alive).

Also, as seen in the comp games, axes were not used even before the welder change because even though you are saving ammo and killing the structure faster, you are forced to come out of position and your view is obstructed by the target, so you are a perfect target for an ambush. With cooperating commander and tough opponents, it's much safer to just shoot structures and get ammo from drop when necessary.

It's of course entirely okay and possible to have a default weapon nobody actually wants to use, like the fist in DOOM, but I still feel it's a bit pity and would like to see the axe as a viable alternative to welders with distinct advantage to counter the mentioned disadvantage (cannot weld armor). As things stand now, welder is also much better for close combat, because it deals continuous damage stream. Yesterday, I fought SandyClawz 1 vs 1, and I managed to miss most of my bullets from both rifle and pistol, so in despair, I pulled out a welder. What do you know - due to strafe jump crazyness, I managed to burn him twice or so in the jumpy mess that followed, and made him actually run away, reloaded, and found it later around the corner as an egg which I shot down. I don't think the axe would save me in the same situation.

Things that come to mind:
- greater damage overall - probably not a good idea to diminish alien advantage in melee even further, the crazy and terrible strafe jump is bad enough
- greater structural damage - maybe, but it can destroy balance making whole alien infrastructure too fragile, but IMO viable option
- special effect on hit - energy drain, alien slowed down for 1 sec, bleeding, etc. I mean, it's a dedicated weapon that does nothing but melee
- ability to build up "charged blow" similar to railgun, with more powerful attack on release
- specific advantage against a particular lifeform (onos?)

These are just brainstorming ideas to start a discussion.

Comments

• sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    Drop your welder to attack structures, pick it back up when the structure dies or you want to move.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Higher damage against structures + coexistence with welder (you can carry both).
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    sotanaht wrote: »
    Drop your welder to attack structures, pick it back up when the structure dies or you want to move.

The problem is, I never want to do it. As the game is now, I will rather shoot structures.

• EmooEmoo Ibasa Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11198Members
    I've seen a suggestion before that the rifle smash is removed and then mouse 2 switches between your selected weapon and your axe (axe would no longer take up slot 3).

This gives aliens a slightly better chance in melee as marines either have to reload or switch to axe when they run out of bullets (both taking time). It makes all weapons consistent in not having a secondary attack, and consistency is good. Finally it allows you to have both your axe and your welder without having to drop the welder and pick it up again.
    Kamamura wrote: »

The problem is, I never want to do it. As the game is now, I will rather shoot structures.

Situational. I'm sure comp has it's own meta but in pubs there are definitely times when it is better to axe, but if you are using a welder on something other than a cyst or clog you need to l2p.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Comp it's safer to shoot it as it lets you keep distance. Pub axing structures is somewhat necessary since you can't rely on your comm to drop ammo.
  • TheKarvaTheKarva Join Date: 2011-06-13 Member: 104251Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Keep axe on slot 3, welder slot 4, get rid of that ridiculous rifle butt With no 3rd person animation. I axe When out of ammo anyways, the butt never hits and feels weak and silly imo. The welder but Animation shows it replacing Your build tool, and You Still have Your axe When You drop it. Why not then being able to use both? Or just weld by holding Down e infront of marines or buildings, short tap to use proto or armory.
  • clankill3rclankill3r Join Date: 2007-09-03 Member: 62145Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I would also like to be able to switch between my axe and welder without dropping the welder.
    For the rest, i would like a overhead axe attack that does way more damage but is slower.
    And throwing a axe :) But then we need fists after that which seems like a lot of work.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    What @sotanaht said after OP. This is what I was going to say after reading. Also if I find we have enough welders I'll just stick to the axe.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    If you don't have weapons 1, structures will die faster to an axe; as soon as weapons 1 is up the rifle/gun will kill the structure faster than the axe

However there's a risk/reward

If you axe early on you save ammo, which in the end saves tres (every res counts :D )
    But the downside is, you leave yourself pretty vulnerable and then have a delay before you can swap to your gun

Shooting upside is you keep a safe range but you will blow tres most likely plus enemies can wait for you to be reloading to engage

All in all, I think the axe stinks :P I'd rather die trying to reload then take that out and not get a kill at all, of course why would I die when my magical medpacks will be flourishing me =}
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Actually the axe scales with weapon upgrades, I did a test once, non stop shooting an RT with a rifle is about the same speed as an axe no matter what. Shotgun is faster obviously.
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Pub Games: Get a friend to cover you, axe a Harvester.

TRES is saved, and risk is lowered. :)
  • GeekavengerGeekavenger Join Date: 2012-08-31 Member: 157117Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    While I use my rifle mostly when I kill harvesters, I kill the cyst with my axe to allow me to do maximum damage to the harvester before aliens arrive. The reason I don't bring a welder is because when I am res hunting I treat it as a one way mission and don't want to lose the pres. So I still use my axe quite a bit.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members

Hahahaha yeah i love taking down harvesters when some random pub noob comes up to it and thinks he helps by welding it, usually i stop shooting when i come across this and look how many minute it takes for him to realize the 0.00000000014359 damage he is making to the structure :P

• hub3rtu2hub3rtu2 Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165478Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    There are these new things, called catalyst packs... I think? Or is it just an urban legend? Supposedly they can boost your melee attack speed, but nobody researches them ever, so I wouldn't know.
    Also, rifle butt while being catalyzed should push aliens away, even oni.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Rifle butt should just be removed. Axe should have increased attack speed and lowered damage so it would actually be somewhat useful in combat.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    oi no removing my rifle bash. I use that inbetween reloads & shots!

I would like to be able to use both axe and welder, yes.
  • MrPinkMrPink Join Date: 2002-05-28 Member: 678Members
    edited September 2013
    Rifle bash is the one that is completely useless. I axe skulks all the time, mostly because I think it's funny. But if I empty my LMG I will always switch to my pistol next, and when I empty that I can either switch to my axe or switch to rifle bash. They both take the same amount of time, but the axe does much better DPS, so there is no reason to ever rifle bash.

tip: with the axe, if you crouch, hold down mouse1 and keep your aim on the skulk, you will almost always land 1 axe hit before he bites you.
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Make switching from the axe to anything else much faster than a normal weapon switch.

You're already punished for standing with your face burried in an extractor, hacking away; don't need to be doubly punish with ~1 second weapon switch.
    hub3rtu2 wrote: »
    There are these new things, called catalyst packs... I think? Or is it just an urban legend? Supposedly they can boost your melee attack speed, but nobody researches them ever, so I wouldn't know.

Someone used it on me once. I don't know about melee, but it turns out they speed up reloading significantly.
  • hub3rtu2hub3rtu2 Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165478Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    hub3rtu2 wrote: »

Someone used it on me once. I don't know about melee, but it turns out they speed up reloading significantly.

It does increase melee attack speed ...and the grunting too.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Depending on the RT position I usually axe nodes in comp if I'm ridin' yolo and can't get a position where I can watch my flank and have definite time to reload.

Kill cyst, hop off, position, shoot new cyst, position. No reload for you to get jumped on.

I wind up shooting more often, but I wish the axe would simply out DPS shooting with the rifle significantly when it comes to structures. It's a basic mechanic that alot of the decision making is remove from for no reason.
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    joshhh wrote: »
    Rifle butt should just be removed. Axe should have increased attack speed and lowered damage so it would actually be somewhat useful in combat.
    Please don't. Rifle butt kills are so very satisfying.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Actually the axe scales with weapon upgrades, I did a test once, non stop shooting an RT with a rifle is about the same speed as an axe no matter what. Shotgun is faster obviously.

Maybe that's a recent change? I've never, ever noticed that, I always noticed that as soon as you get weapons 1 it will kill an RT faster than the axe
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    It seems wrong that the pistol is a better option than rifle butt for finishing off enemies after spending a rifle clip. If rifle butt isn't useful in that situation, of course it's never going to be useful ever.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2013
    MrPink wrote: »
    Rifle bash is the one that is completely useless.
    Except in those moments when you finish that skulk with a humiliating smack to the forehead??

Its one of my favorite (albeit more risky) meta games in a longer skulk/marine dance.
    If that lives on as it's only function.. I'm ok with that.
    I think many multiplayer games benefit from Q3 style gauntlet type niche weapons, adding a bit of an optional flavor to the combat/dance - or just a way to send a message.

>:)
  • BriligBrilig Join Date: 2009-01-01 Member: 65938Members
    I like the charge up for overhead heavy swing with the Axe idea. I would like to see the rifle butt attack get a skulk bite cone type mechanic. It is really hard to hit anything with it as is. Of course I don't think marines should be quite as jumpy as they are now either.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Kamamura wrote: »
    axes suck
    Axes are badass. We could always hope for a beam sword but modddddddds
    Also, refer to my thread:
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/131499/i-solo-killed-a-skulk-with-an-axe#latest
    So that's happenned a few times.

And what other people are saying re:the rifle butt, I would say I see like 3-ish rifle butt kills a week sooooo that's cool?
  • AchillesAchilles Join Date: 2013-04-20 Member: 184907Members
    Having axe and welder both available is a great suggestion, but are we going to have 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 keys in use now with grenades being way over on 5? It can get hairy switching from primary to grenades in combat. :/

I think a knockback with the axe would do a bit to make it more useful. It doesn't have one already does it? I also thought rifle bashing had a small stun effect, but I don't think that's correct.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Remove riflebash - make grenades right click.