Stop asking for money to let me view a useless server list

eyeriseyeris Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188088Members
edited September 2013 in New Player Forum
According to Steam, I've "played" this game for 25 hours now. At least 10% of that time has been dealing with your useless server browser. Just now, for what feels like the 1000th time, I've been punted from each of the first 9 servers I've connected to. The most common cause is the dreaded "Server mod out of date" error message. I understand what the underlying issue is. It's that the mod is updated on my client but the server cannot update it's copy until the current match is over (and sometimes not even then). It's ridiculous that I have to read old forum posts to find out why I cannot find a server on which to play.

If mod versions are an issue, they need to be either filtered out in the server browser or versioned on the client so the game can load whatever version is in use on the server I attempt to connect to. The servers are clearly advertising their mod version. The most insulting part of this is that the first screen I see when I open the game and the last one I see after giving up on trying to find a server is asking me to pay more money, with a bullshit guilt trip about how you've improved the game so much. Honestly, I wish I just had my money back so I could buy a copy of Gigli.

Until you fix the bugs introduced in Reinforced, please remove the notice from the menu screen.

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2013
    My dear fellow, firstly there are official UWE Servers not running one mod so you will never have that "Server mod out of date" error, secondly is it so hard to wait 10-30 min until you are able to join a server again. Also there are 400+ servers out there, don't tell me you got that error on all of them.

Also maybe try to join a (rookie) server with 1-4 ppl on it, i most cases those servers will fill up pretty fast and you have a warm up time where you can ask the other players question about the game.

With these words Cu @ Battlefield
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited September 2013
    They're a couple of issues here:

1) About 'modded' servers. Originally the server browser did show yellow 'modded' servers, but it led to lower player numbers on those servers since they were being discriminated against on the scoreboard (even if they only had useful admin mods installed). The new version shows what mods are loaded on the server from within the browser when right clicking. The 'server mod out of date' error happens to me occasionally for the reason you specified. I wasn't aware exactly what was causing beyond an educated guess so that's good to know. A more detailed error message would be super.

2) The other reason you may be getting kicked a lot is you're probably joining servers that have reserve slot systems. People who don't have reserved slots on that server, especially during peak time, are liable to be bumped. Regardless of the many myriad of feelings concerning reserve slots, server operators have a right to run their individual server as they wish and that's not really something UWE can control.

3) The 'reinforced' donation button in-game was added recently. It's donation only to help full time development of the game continue, nothing is required of you beyond what you spent on the initial purchase of the game. The 256 patch coming this week is going to fix a number of the bugs that popped up in reinforced. The devs have consistently put much effort into fixing bugs as quickly as possible and pushing out patches (and have commented quite a bit on what they're working on). Bugs are going to happen, such is the nature of software development especially with large launches like their last content update. Here is the latest blog post detailing these bugs:

http://unknownworlds.com/ns2/where-are-my-bugfixes/

4) As ghoul said, stick to the official UWE servers to avoid reserve slots and mod out of date errors if you are indeed getting them quite a bit.

If you still feel slighted after all this, e-mail store@unknownworlds.com and ask for a refund of your purchase.

• dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    For an refund of the 2,75 weekendsale purchase ask valve not UWE.