Does anyone actually play custom maps?

Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited September 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
Because it seems like there is very little, if not no interest in trying out some custom maps.

There are very little servers running them in the first place, and almost no players can be seen on them.

So, what's up with that?

---

Edit: I actually have a custom map only server running, at 213.239.192.188:14005

Comments

• delta78delta78 Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178131Members
    I play from time to time Jambi and some unfinished maps. Maybe most of them are not yet ready for the general public?
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Yeah custom maps (for NS2 gamemode, since obviously other game modes get their own maps), are rare, and almost never used.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    One of the problems custom maps face on public servers is that there's only 4 that I can think of that I would say are fully textured and ready for the public to accept in a populated servers rotation. The second problem is that there is some nasty phobia of custom content that a lot of people have that I don't really understand.

Even if the server does have custom maps and lets you know during load and in the server info, there will always be some really nice people who like to project on open mic about how crappy the community made map is fresh out of precaching. This mentality deters a lot of players from sticking around and actually trying it I think, and more importantly discourages server operators from keeping these maps in the cycle.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    What Jekt said about this strange phobia.

I personally love some of the custom maps. Jambi is #1. Kodiak is awesome.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Hopefully when Eclipse, Hera, and Caged are 100% people will be more willing to try out custom maps.

These look like (to me) the highest quality custom maps yet, and most are almost complete!
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    I would love to put custom maps on my server but they always say beta on them some alpha ... I'm waiting for them to say "final" in the titles.
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    perhaps people need to overcome their phobia!
  • UlmontUlmont Join Date: 2011-10-02 Member: 125211Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    I play custom maps all the time; Summit for the win! ; )
  • MaxunitMaxunit Join Date: 2005-02-01 Member: 39414Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Thanks to james888 for naming those 2 maps. I have never seen them before, actually :/

I just added those to my Server and into the Map Cycle. Let's see, if people actually join to play one of the 2 maps.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    Jekt wrote: »
    One of the problems custom maps face on public servers is that there's only 4 that I can think of that I would say are fully textured and ready for the public to accept in a populated servers rotation. The second problem is that there is some nasty phobia of custom content that a lot of people have that I don't really understand.

Even if the server does have custom maps and lets you know during load and in the server info, there will always be some really nice people who like to project on open mic about how crappy the community made map is fresh out of precaching. This mentality deters a lot of players from sticking around and actually trying it I think, and more importantly discourages server operators from keeping these maps in the cycle.

Custom content means relearning the game or map without any guarantee of the ability to actually use the developed strategies and knowledge in everyday play. I don't want to play a map twice and struggle just to get the basics and then never see it again because it's not a part of the real game, it's just not fun. Same with other game mods, it means re-learning the game and then losing whatever effort you put in when you go back to the normal game.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    sotanaht wrote: »

Custom content means relearning the game or map without any guarantee of the ability to actually use the developed strategies and knowledge in everyday play. I don't want to play a map twice and struggle just to get the basics and then never see it again because it's not a part of the real game, it's just not fun. Same with other game mods, it means re-learning the game and then losing whatever effort you put in when you go back to the normal game.

There's no re-learning of the game involved. You don't forget the original game by playing it. It's just learning the map, or learning the rules of the gamemode, as it is with any official update to the real game. And you will play it again if you enjoyed the map or game mode and decide to frequent a server that has it.

You make it sound like work. Obviously new things aren't really up your alley. When I play a different game and return to NS2 I don't feel like I've lost out at being better at NS2 because I put effort into something else. I find it enjoyable to play on a map I haven't played 9000 times. And gamemode mods like Marine vs Marine and Combat are an occasional breath of fresh air while still playing NS2.

Just like scrimming maps like Jambi is what keeps me sane when pounded with the same summit-tram duo knockout.

If you're contempt with the current experience over and over that's fine. Some people want that pure as advertised feel I suppose, and in terms of gameplay changing mods that aren't well done like the two I mentioned I can agree. But trying out finished custom maps doesn't frustrate me because I need to put a little effort in to navigate it first playthrough.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    if the server is running them atm, yes

There's no re-learning of the game involved. You don't forget the original game by playing it. It's just learning the map, or learning the rules of the gamemode, as it is with any official update to the real game. And you will play it again if you enjoyed the map or game mode and decide to frequent a server that has it.

You make it sound like work. Obviously new things aren't really up your alley. When I play a different game and return to NS2 I don't feel like I've lost out at being better at NS2 because I put effort into something else. I find it enjoyable to play on a map I haven't played 9000 times. And gamemode mods like Marine vs Marine and Combat are an occasional breath of fresh air while still playing NS2.

Just like scrimming maps like Jambi is what keeps me sane when pounded with the same summit-tram duo knockout.

If you're contempt with the current experience over and over that's fine. Some people want that pure as advertised feel I suppose, and in terms of gameplay changing mods that aren't well done like the two I mentioned I can agree. But trying out finished custom maps doesn't frustrate me because I need to put a little effort in to navigate it first playthrough.

Rejoining a server running the custom maps isn't an option. I'm lucky enough if I can find a server at all, I don't have the luxury of picking which one I join. Whether or not I liked the maps (and I won't like them at all until I've played them at least a couple dozen times) I don't have the option to play them again. I just face an unenjoyable experience scrambling to understand a new map and then never get the payoff of playing on the map after I've learned it.
  • Evil_bOb1Evil_bOb1 Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 938Members, Squad Five Blue
    @sotanaht, I remember when I started to get serious about playing music, I noticed significant changes in my freehand drawing as my feel for intervals and proportions became more and more internalized. Everything you do enhances everything else you do, even if there isn't a visible connection. I also laughed hard at this article about scientists proving that juggling increases brain connections as if that was a surprise. Work those neurons dude! Its insane the connections that can happen up there if you open yourself to new stuff. It can only make you better and more versatile. They say, no time is wasted if you have learned something new. :D
    Evil_bOb1 wrote: »
    @sotanaht, I remember when I started to get serious about playing music, I noticed significant changes in my freehand drawing as my feel for intervals and proportions became more and more internalized. Everything you do enhances everything else you do, even if there isn't a visible connection. I also laughed hard at this article about scientists proving that juggling increases brain connections as if that was a surprise. Work those neurons dude! Its insane the connections that can happen up there if you open yourself to new stuff. It can only make you better and more versatile. They say, no time is wasted if you have learned something new. :D

I think your still missing the point.

Point is I won't enjoy the new map. I CAN'T enjoy the new map until I've learned it. Something I've already accepted when it comes to new official maps, I know there is going to be a rough learning curve but I stick with it because sooner or later I get to the point where the map is actually enjoyable. Happened with descent, started to happen with new docking till they changed it back halfway and it will eventually happen with biodome. If I'm only going to be playing the new map a couple of rounds I'm not going to have much fun in those rounds, and I'm not going to have rounds further down the line where the new map becomes fun. It's not a question of skill, not whether or not the map will make me a better player, it's a question of enjoyment.
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    The 'Spark Crafter Collective - UK' server runs only custom maps (often work-in-progress maps; they take a long time to build and to balance after all). If you want to play some, join us! See my sig for details.

• Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow

I feel like NS2 is not a game for you then, because with almost every patch you need to relearn as things get changed around a lot.

As for custom maps, the same game rules apply only the layout is sightly different from what you already know; actually, the better you get at adapting to new maps, the easlier it will become to adjust to map-changes in general (for custom maps etc). Plus, if this goes anywhere like TF2 will, you'll see the better maps becoming a part of NS2, and this actually has happend so far.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members

Yeesh, you make playing video games sound like work.
  • Squirreli_Squirreli_ Join Date: 2012-04-25 Member: 151046Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Summit and Veil both were custom at some point, and once they became awesome enough, they were made official. Also, during beta we played a lot of PCWs in Turtle (which is being resurrected now after becoming a bit obsolete) and Jambi is also in NSL rotation. Many other custom maps are still clearly works in progress, but I'm pretty sure that if the mappers keep up their work, the maps get tested by pub and clan players alike and sooner or later, the maps will become mainstream.

PS. Kudos to all mappers for your contribution. That's a whole lot of work you are contributing and we appreciate it!

PSS. Please support your local mappers. Help them by giving feedback and by playing the maps! I'm pretty sure they are going to need some feedback to push through all those hours upon hours of mapping ;)
  • Squirreli_Squirreli_ Join Date: 2012-04-25 Member: 151046Members, Reinforced - Shadow

Yeesh, you make playing video games sound like work.

Personally, I do agree with sotanaht to a point. I find learning new maps often a frustrating experience, as a good solid enjoyable game & gaming performance (for lack of a better word) is dependent on understanding the flow and details of a map. For everyone, it takes a lot of games in a map to get a good grip on it and often I personally do not enjoy the first games on a map that much. Also, it often turns out that I'll end up disliking a map-in-progress for some reason... For example, the Tanith remake-in-progress doesn't feel right yet even though it was a NS1 favourite. I could have spent that time on honing my skills in a map that I'll encounter in a PCW soonishly...

Then again, sometimes you just need to have some variation and try new things and sometimes the new things you thought you disliked turn up golden after you get to understand them ;)
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Just need more regularly seeded servers to be running customs- the SCC server seems to be really popular- if people are on it, chances are it'll be full. Need a couple more reliable servers running a good selection of customs and I'm sure the custom map market will expand :)
  • DarkflameQDarkflameQ Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183451Members
    edited September 2013
    I've tried an all custom map server on a few occasions over the last 6 months and each time the maps have proven to be a failure.

The majority are unfinished and still in alpha stage, let alone beta stage and the few that are finished favour the marines heavily as the corridors connecting the tech places are too wide and long.

Mapping for vanilla NS2 gameplay is tougher than most games because you have to cater for aliens weakness at being shot to death from a distance.

There is a reason why Summit is one of the best / most balanced maps, the same reason why Biodome is pretty much a copy of it in terms of layout, it's just perfectly suited for both sides.

I've played every custom map so far and i can count on one hand which ones are actually designed to help hide and conceal the aliens.

I've been waiting patiently for the Marine vs Marine mod to be fixed so i can run a pure custom map server with just marines as these big and wonderful maps that people have put lots of work into would work beautifully with just marines :)