-modstorage switch for server_linux32 (probably) does work, but...

victortvictort Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188078Members, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
edited September 2013 in Server Discussion
hi,

I've installed a couple maps via the Mods tab in the webadmin.

they show up when the server runs, but when i tell the server to switch to one of the new maps (ns2_caged, for example), SOMETIMES it does, but MOST of the time it doesn't.

my log reads:

Loading 'maps/ns2_caged.level'
Error: Couldn't load 'maps/ns2_caged.level'

even though (it seems ilke i shouldn't have to) i set -modstorage \"/home/myusername/.config/Natural\ Selection\ 2/Workshop/\" it continually ONLY looks for mods in ./NS2/ns2/maps

if i make a complicated series of symlinks from my ./Workshop/*/{maps,materials,overviews} (an awful hack which isn't even accurate) directories into ./NS2/ns2 then it works..

..so i know it *works*, but why can't i properly map to the Workshop directory with -modstorage, and more importantly, why do i *have* to, why doesn't the game naturally look there(, too)?

-m

Comments

• Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    Try a modstorage path without spaces or remove the escaped space. Works for me.

Oh and don't forget that the server user must have full access to the modstorage directory (rwx dirs and rw files)
  • victortvictort Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188078Members, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    i'll make a symlink that doesn't use spaces and try that. I can't change the /home/myusername/.config/Natural Selection 2/Workshop folder because that's where the server writes its mods to when they get downloaded.
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    victort wrote: »
    i'll make a symlink that doesn't use spaces and try that. I can't change the /home/myusername/.config/Natural Selection 2/Workshop folder because that's where the server writes its mods to when they get downloaded.

If you specify the modstorage folder, it will download them to the modstorage, not that folder
  • victortvictort Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188078Members, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    i see, so -modstorage is where they get dl'd. ok. that's not exactly clear from the docs, but ok.

i found a less complicated workaround,

if i symlink the top-level mod directories in my default modstorage (~/.config/Natural Selection 2/Workshop) into the top-level game storage, then use -mods [list_of_mods]

then it works. but i have to *manually* symlink any new mods i download.

-m
    ...which has it's own set of issues..

screw it.. i'll just run stock maps.. there doesn't seem any clean way to reliably add other maps (on dedicated Linux servers).

=(
  • gH0sTygH0sTy Join Date: 2013-02-01 Member: 182727Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Modstorage works fine for me and will write to and load from the specified modstorage path
    -modstorage \"/home/blah/NS2Server/Workshop\"