Lerk purring

RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
Is this being fixed? Currently you can hear a lerk from about 250m across the map at all times (unless phantom, I assume, but I use aura on the lerk anyway so can't confirm this).

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I think that's intended... but hey if the range was any less, you could pinpoint where they are easier!
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold

I can't hear anything.

Maybe I should upgrade my 10 year old headphones. ...but they work just fine! ...sometimes I just can't hear things, that's all...
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Just make it a secondary taunt. :P
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yesterday in a pug my team planned to all go lerk in the vent and rush the power in main... It would've been awesome, but this lerk purring sound ruined it for us. The other team heard us in the vent and flash killed us :/
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited September 2013
    Well good news! I just learned from the Devs that the aliens growling randomly is a bug. The idle sounds we hear should only be happening at ABOVE 50% max speed.

So no more ruined ambushes and/or awesome tactical lerk rushes Blarney apparently likes to do :P... \o/
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    current1y wrote: »
    Well good news! I just learned from the Devs that the aliens growling randomly is a bug. The idle sounds we hear should only be happening at ABOVE 50% max speed.

So no more ruined ambushes and/or awesome tactical lerk rushes Blarney apparently likes to do :P... \o/

wow, that was so blatant and prevalent... and obvious, that it was considered a feature... just. wow. Can I finally accuse someone of not noticing if an elephant sat on their face now?
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Glad to know it's gonna bug, hopefully to be fixed. I notice it in combat even w/ phantom.
  • ChikunChikun Join Date: 2013-01-10 Member: 178729Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Official quote or post by a mod or prepare to be approached by the Inquisition on charges of Heresy.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    I hope the never ending lerk purr that you get in spec gets fixed with it.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester

Chikun wrote: »
    Official quote or post by a mod or prepare to be approached by the Inquisition on charges of Heresy.

http://i.imgur.com/lxoVzu2.jpg

Proof? A cover up? You may never know........ *insert evil laugh here*
  • casan0vaxcasan0vax Cloverfield, USA Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166663Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    For anyone who has watched me cast the past few days, I've made a note numerous times during scrims/PCWs: the lerk sound is constantly playing/looping in the over-head view and it's quite annoying for me as the caster, and I'm sure the viewers as well (although, my in-game isn't recorded as loudly as I hear it, so they may not notice it). So, for my own sanity, if not for everyone else's: please, remove the growling!

EDIT: also, basically what joshhhy said :D.
  • MoFoMoFo Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188047Members
    SO glad to hear it's a bug. I also thought it was an intentional (and very stupid) change to nerf Aliens.

Can't wait for them to fix it now, so tired of having Marines hear me as I'm sneaking up behind them.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    The purring is buggy, and I can still hear sounds which don't belong there in places ("holes" in the map?). Not a big deal, but sort it out eventually plz.
  • kyliegirlkyliegirl Gorge Master Australia Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10586Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    HeatSurge wrote: »
    The purring is buggy, and I can still hear sounds which don't belong there in places ("holes" in the map?). Not a big deal, but sort it out eventually plz.

There was a bug that some sounds always get spawned at the (0, 0, 0) coordinates of the world. Which would be for instance in "The Neck" on Veil.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    the lerk idle sound is currently set up as a 2D sound (means that distance does not matter), which will be fixed and correctly set to 3D with the next patch
  • MoFoMoFo Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188047Members
    Sammey wrote: »
    Gorge should get random fart sounds. Very rare, so it only happens once in a few weeks. That would be hilarious.

lol nice. Even better, have it happen whenever they do the belly slide.

• zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members
    Sewlek wrote: »
    the lerk idle sound is currently set up as a 2D sound (means that distance does not matter), which will be fixed and correctly set to 3D with the next patch
    But i understood before that the whole making noises was a bug?

This thread:
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/131692/skulk-is-now-faintly-gnarling-in-regular-intervals-when-idle-which-can-be-heard-by-marines#latest
    Sorry this is a bug, the sound should not be playing when sneaking or standing still. The fix won't make it into the hotfix we are planning on getting out today, but we'll get this fixed for next week

I'm confused now. When exactly do you want Aliens to make noises? And why?|
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Read above. They make random noises when moving with >50% max speed.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow

except right now the lerk makes the noise at all times independent of movement/idleness. I'm afraid I also still don't see why these noises have been put in. Not a good move...!!! The only 'fix' you can make to this is removing the damned things, especially on the lerk which can't 'sneak' anyway.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    _Necro_ wrote: »
    Read above. They make random noises when moving with >50% max speed.

They're supposed to. They don't. All the lifeforms are making purring noises so matter what at any speed and with no 3D / positional audio.

I agree with Joshy. Remove the automatic purrs and make them taunts for the aliens. If you want aliens to be more audible, how about making it so that marines can hear the lerk flapping / woosh noise and boost the skulk wall jumping sound effects.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Keep the lerk silent when gliding, but make the skulk audible on high speed (like the panting sound we used to have).

Problem solved.
  • TovaTova Join Date: 2012-12-26 Member: 176254Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013

I don't understand why they make ANY sound when idle, the marines don't need to know I'm waiting for them in the next room. It makes sense to have audible noise when moving, not when sitting idle.
  • CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Aliens just want a belly rub.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    amoral wrote: »

wow, that was so blatant and prevalent... and obvious, that it was considered a feature... just. wow. Can I finally accuse someone of not noticing if an elephant sat on their face now?
    Nope, and here's why:
    Not all features or balance changes make it into our list of changes that we view as testers, for a slew of reasons... so we very frequently are asking "Is this intentional behavior?"
    Not always do we get an answer in time, as not everyone is online all the time to get these answers.
    It was reported already, though, if that helps at all?
    edited September 2013
    MoFo wrote: »
    Sammey wrote: »
    Gorge should get random fart sounds. Very rare, so it only happens once in a few weeks. That would be hilarious.

lol nice. Even better, have it happen whenever they do the belly slide.

ever play rogue legacy? fart noises get super obnoxious and aggravating.
    IronHorse wrote: »
    amoral wrote: »

Nope, and here's why:
    Not all features or balance changes make it into our list of changes that we view as testers, for a slew of reasons... so we very frequently are asking "Is this intentional behavior?"
    Not always do we get an answer in time, as not everyone is online all the time to get these answers.
    It was reported already, though, if that helps at all?

that does make me feel better about the process.