DEAR DEVS SINCE 255 ALL SERVERS LAGS
DX11 ??????? PROBLEMS

ALL SERVERS DOWN SLOTS

YOU KILL NS2 WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT

THANK YOU FOR BADGE 1$ 8000$

FIX OR BADGE ?

Comments

• SpiritwindSpiritwind Join Date: 2008-04-20 Member: 64116Members
    Not lagging for me at all. I play on a 24 slot server that sometimes has matches go on past 90 minutes; no lag at all. You sure your not experiencing client side lag?
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    Most servers are not hosted on 5Ghz cpus cooled by liquid nitrogen nor should they be. Unfortunately this game was made with virtually no thought toward the server requirements necessary to actually run the game. I mean even the ram requirements are 1-2GB where other games with many more players and much larger maps use 50-25% less.

Despite roomers that the server "At best, it uses 2 threads" the process has just 1 thread (you can ask your performance monitor the number of threads a process has). 1 thread means it can only run on a single core. Unfortunate most servers have multiple cpus with a very high core count as many applications are at minimum multi threaded enough to use 2 cpu cores.

These are the big things that kill performance for most servers. However, despite that things are worse than they were a few months ago performance over the last year is WAY up where as a year ago you could not even run 24 slots even at 5Ghz.

Lets just hope that now that the content updates are out of the way the next big updates will be for server performance so that we can finally have everyone on a smooth lag free experience. Unfortunately, this is not going to occur over night as making the game multi threaded is hard. Even with multi threading your still just making workarounds for the issue of how slow LUA code is vs C++ (remember how much performance we gained just by using a better jua jit). I believe that we will likely see multi threading long before direct C++ conversion and so honestly that is likely our best hope toward better server performance but who knows what the devs got up their sleeves, we just got to wait and find out ;)
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    I was in a scrim last night and 3 or 4 players on our team (myself included) all red plugged at the exact same time and only our team. Was really weird...
  • DGKHaploDGKHaplo Join Date: 2002-12-22 Member: 11324Members, Constellation
    I have recently experienced the red plug issue on our server, but never during a match only between map changes and at times at the very start of the match.

As for pure server performance I haven't noticed any drop in the past 10 releases. That said we don't run Xeon processors. We have an i5 3570 OC'd to 4.5Ghz and 8G of ram typically it uses 3.5G max running windows server. That one processor has hosted 3 x 24 slot servers and kept a tickrate above 28 while all are full and in late game. I agree it's not a good game for a typical server farm. Playing games on those servers is a terrible experience.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Let's not start with making a list of what bugs i have seen since 255. Just keep praying to Mother Gorge that 256 will get things stable.
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    edited September 2013
    As a result of the memory issues for the clients people with crap pc's will have even more of a bad experience.

I have actually had performance increase with build 255 client-side and I play on a 32 slot server exclusively. I'm only get slight chop when the level is 95% owned by Aliens and there is a ton of infestation and entities deployed.

That being said, the chop is so slight it does not cause the game to be nearly as horrible as some people claim. This game is very hardware heavy and low end pc's cower to this title.

my rig

AMD FX vishera 8350 black edition
    Win 7 pro X64
    16 Gigs RAM
    PCIEX 2.0 Geforce 570 with 1280 DDR5 ram 320 bit bus

I don't consider my rig to be the top of the line at all, in fact I'd say its upper middle end. I'm amazed at what some people are trying to run this title on in these forums and expect it to run "nice"... it's like some people are trying to get a bus to do 90 miles per hour with a 4 cylinder engine and they wonder why they can't get the thing to go over 10 mph.

Getting back to the server part... I have not seen a significant decrease in performance with the dedicated server apart from the tick rate spiking down to 10 once in great while then it goes back up to 30 after a couple of seconds. This happens on my server 2-3 times a game at most and not every game. Seems to depend on what level is playing at the time.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    Its always funny to see admins of >20 slot servers complain about bad serverperformance and giving great tips to the devs about multithreading.

But instead of lowering the slotammount to give players a good gameexperience they stay with there 23 slots on an unplayable server.
    Its not UWEs fault that you dont want to lower the playercount @ the current state of the game.

And this is a general - not a specific version problem.
    The game lose players cause ego admins like mr "23 slot".
  • CD121CD121 Join Date: 2013-04-04 Member: 184635Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    dePARA wrote: »
    >20 slot servers
    Mostly it's this problem. It is unfortunate that all but the best systems can run 20+ slot servers. However, despite consistently poor performance from host machines the administrators may stubbornly continue pushing their servers to unplayable limits. There is a small list of servers that I see this present in that I do not join, just because I'd rather not play at all than experience rubberband-hell.

It's true this game isn't very optimized, but then again it never truly was.

• GameOverGameOver Germany Join Date: 2003-10-15 Member: 21700Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    The microlag appears also on 20 slot servers.
    E.g. Weasels Reborn 2: Ppl. have a max 50 ms latency and the server a tickrate of 30 (constant), but everyone is experiencing small microlags. The patches before Reinforced just worked fine, no stuttering and stuff.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    Playing the game in dx9 fullscreen instead of dx11 helps against stutter (fullscreen mode in dx11 didnt work atm)
    So it is more an clientissue.

• GameOverGameOver Germany Join Date: 2003-10-15 Member: 21700Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    The thing is, I'm already playing in dx9 fullscreen and also tried that r_mt 0/1 thing.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    Dear OP, please try a proper post next time, closing topic.
This discussion has been closed.