amnesia machine for pigs review

ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
first review of the game came out today

Wb4JXEm.jpg

Comments

• dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    Someone wanted to make Amnesia work with the Oculus Rift...
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Yeah Idk if this game will be as good as the first, they've done away with sanity and collecting oil for your lamp
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    ezekel wrote: »
    Yeah Idk if this game will be as good as the first, they've done away with sanity and collecting oil for your lamp

The only two things I hated about the first game! :)

Only a couple of minutes until it unlocks. Can't wait!
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    edited September 2013
    Amnesia games aren't made to be played. They're made to be watched while some other sucker plays it and screams their lungs out.

COME ON DANIEL GET THERE DANIEL MAN MODE MAN MOOOOOODEEE
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    Played it a couple hours last evening, not as scary as Dark Descent but pretty good.
    Works rather well on Linux too, except that the gamma slider didn't seem to do anything at first startup.
    edited September 2013
    I had to disable the blue tint everytime the game loaded a new area from the config, i also had to raise my field of view and uncap my fps in the configs

Other than that I'm not immersed, the game doesn't do directional audio as well as TDD, and I don't know what's going on, also nothing is really intractable and the removal of sanity and oil is really upsetting
    @zaggy
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    edited September 2013
    BeigeAlert wrote: »

The only two things I hated about the first game! :)

Only a couple of minutes until it unlocks. Can't wait!

The game has become silly when hiding from enemies with the lack of sanity. Instead of hiding and not knowing if you will pass out from lack of sanity (which gets you killed horribly if detected) you can just sit in a dark corner and poke your nose until enemies stand down. If you get detected you'll just switch hiding spot. I also loved the crackling sound sitting in the darkness made, it made me very uneasy and really felt like the dark was grating away at my mind. Having infinite light also removes the feeling of being forced to push through dark areas with nothing buy quick sprints and tinder boxes. Now nothing except monsters and shock scares are scary.

I had to disable the blue tint everytime the game loaded a new area from the config, i also had to raise my field of view and uncap my fps in the configs
    @zaggy

Handy link for doing just that: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Amnesia:_A_Machine_for_Pigs
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Zaggy wrote: »
    Played it a couple hours last evening, not as scary as Dark Descent but pretty good.
    Works rather well on Linux too, except that the gamma slider didn't seem to do anything at first startup.

Huh? The slider worked for me. Must have some setting overriding it for you.
    just change the gamma in the config, wish i could bind a key to the cvar for the blue fog; having to disable it every area is obnoxious
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    There has been no proper horror games since Silent Hill ( 1 - 4 ). The Japanese have strange knack for deep, inarticulate fear. Nothing ever came close, sadly. Silent Hill games were the only ones that genuinely scared me.
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    Finished it in 3 hours and it was overall disappointing. Would not recommend to anyone that have played TDD at least.
  • MonkfishMonkfish Sonic-boom-inducing buttcheeks of terrifying speed! Join Date: 2003-06-03 Member: 16972Members
    Was a load of horse shit. The Chinese Room have absolutely no idea how to make video games and basically fucked up the entire thing.
    I'm interested in frictionals next title, however I really wanted another survival horror like amnesia.. it was quite the unique experience

on the other hand I played a free flash game today called "everyday the same dream" and I recommend you all type it into google and give it a playthrough, it shouldn't last you longer than 45 minutes.. really mindblowing what a simple game with only left/right and spacebar as a key can do for you
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    The review I put on Steam:
    "Dear Esther" version of the previous Amnesia, starts off well but is far from its scarier and more featured namesake, no lampoil, no sanity meter, no terrifying monsters. Rather short too, time played: 4.6h, and I took my time, read the notes, played the music boxes.
    At least it's said that AMFP content can be used for Amnesia custom stories.
    Svenpa wrote: »
    At least it's said that AMFP content can be used for Amnesia custom stories.

amfp content is being PORTED to the dark descent, kind of funny if you ask me
  • Tri182Tri182 Join Date: 2006-11-26 Member: 58708Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I heard there was no inventory in this game. Is this true?
    Tri182 wrote: »
    I heard there was no inventory in this game. Is this true?

yep, it's not like the dark descent, and if that's what you'd hope for then don't purchase it.. to my surprise I still haven't even launched the game again