Skulk - "Sneak Attack damage".

13»

Comments

• _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    You do know, that you don't get res for kills? You get res depending on how many RTs you hold.

That's why it is smarter to attack marine RTs as skulk instead of racking up marine kills. (Respawning is free for both default classes.)
  • abluemanablueman Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188045Members
    edited September 2013
    Wow

Monumental misunderstanding of the personal res on my part. I assumed some p res was from kills.

I apologise for my stupidity.

But really .. you dont get any res for kills.. thats kinda depressing to me. So the alien that sits in the vent and does nothing productive gets to evolve before the skulk that continually dies trying to help the team.

Who thought that system up :P
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    If marines are smart, they will target harvesters. Crippling the enemy economy is the way to win. After all NS2 is part RTS.

You only need to kill marines to stop them from hurting your economy. In most other cases it is smarter to flee from engagements when you can attack a lone RT instead.
    A marine that is running around in marine territory to rebuild RTs is a marine missing in your territory destroying something.
  • SeahuntsSeahunts Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151973Members
    ablueman wrote: »
    So the alien that sits in the vent and does nothing productive gets to evolve before the skulk that continually dies trying to help the team.

It used to be no res while dead, but didn't it get changed on B250 ?
  • wopwopwopwop Join Date: 2013-08-23 Member: 187037Members
    Seahunts wrote: »
    So the alien that sits in the vent and does nothing productive gets to evolve before the skulk that continually dies trying to help the team.

It used to be no res while dead, but didn't it get changed on B250 ?

Exactly.
    Res are obtained regardless of alive/dead status.

By the way, kill-related res generation would be problematic to Gorges and unfair for supporting roles, like a Lerk spamming umbra.
    B3rT wrote: »
    lol which is true. But if you lose your fade or lerk what you playing then ... skulk .. and can you then get any kills .. once they are all suited up with their 15res jetpacks.

And if the jetpacker marine dies, he loses his jetpack and Shotgun, which are 35 res!
    And: why should a single 0 res skulk stand a chance against a 35 res jetpack marine? (And, at least with leap, a decent skulk has a real chance killing the marine! (If you can't: use a different battle ground! don't fight jetpackers in high rooms, lure them in low corridors!)

Now I understand a little better this actually makes alot of sense. Thanks :P
  • B3rTB3rT Join Date: 2013-02-14 Member: 183058Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    But really .. you dont get any res for kills.. thats kinda depressing to me. So the alien that sits in the vent and does nothing productive gets to evolve before the skulk that continually dies trying to help the team.

You get the same amount of res. It only depends on the harvesters you are holding. And you get the same amount of res while you are dead or idling or killing. Res for kills was considers in the past, but I think they are unfair on many levels. (And they reward the wrong playstyle in this game.)

There is one great misunderstanding many new players have: This game is not about kills! you can have more kills then the entire enemy team and still lose. This game is about Strategy. Where to attack, what to attack and when to attack.
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Personal frustrations aside, you do realise that making skulks able to compete with late-tech upgraded jp+sg marines (and compete against early-tech marines even better) would throw the balance of the game right out of the window and set it on fire, don't you?
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm pretty sure this thread has come up before. It's a bad mechanic for the game just like how AvP 2010 was a terrible multiplayer game compared to AvP2. Insta-kills are not fun when you can't do anything about it just because you didn't check some obscure corner. Most decent marines will check corners and ceilings when they enter neutral territory but every now and then you get caught off guard and die instantly. It's not fun because it's such a punishing mechanic when the game already has many of those.

Phantom is more useful early game since vanilla marines die in 3 bites minus parasite. You get usually 1 free bite in before you are discovered, the other two come usually before the marine can even react. Skulks kill marines really fast early game and vice versa. Being able to get in range for a bite before he can shoot is usually a kill, this applies to corner humping as well as phantom. That gap closer without being injured is the reward for ambushing. Only problem is that pogostick marines that defy physics are really crazy right now without cel/cara to counter.

Imagine the rage when you get the drop on a jetpack+shotgun marine while he's welding or building and he dies instantly to a skulk with phantom. That would piss anyone off big time.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Not a big fan of this idea... getting the drop on someone usually is advantage enough. Do not see why anyone would need extra damage.
  • Side1Bu2Rnz9Side1Bu2Rnz9 Join Date: 2012-10-16 Member: 162510Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    @ablueman You're playing skulk wrong... in the beginning skulks are the only class other than gorge you can go to, but if played correctly they are amazing... The para should be used when your falling on top of the marine giving them little to no warning before you quickly switch to bite and give him 2 chips to death. Midgame is when you start to focus on biting res nodes or doing cordinated pushes somewhere with the rest of your alien team (hopefully lerks and fades included). Late game the skulk is not meant to chase jetpackers (they can if it's in a tight corridor), but its more of a support class that gets chip damage, attacks base structures, and stays to distract marines if the big lifeform needs it. Aliens are all about upgrading lifeforms the equivalent of marines getting jetpacks, shotguns, and exos with a3 w3. You need fades and lerks and onos to win late game (unless you do a beast mode lategame rush with gorges and skulks). Skulk should not be as powerful as they are early games in the late game.
  • frantixfrantix Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184063Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Great idea! And when the gorge plants a clog INTO a marine when he's invisible, the marines body will absorb the clog as he will become hulk, losing his weapon, and he can only melee crush aliens now with his bare hands.

And when he shoots a web at a marine when he's invisible, it attaches to the marine player and the gorge can drag the marine around, while he is screaming for help.

For more great ideas, message me!
  • Vision305Vision305 Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187724Members
    everyone is opposed to buffing skulks because the aliens win more in the end. Well let me tell you something. Even if the aliens win in the end it is very frustrating to play as a skulk. You can try to sneak, ambush, or whatever you want to but a skilled marine will always jump away from you and one shot you with a shotty or mow you down with the rifle. It is not fun to be a skulk because all the climbing and ambushing and waiting doesnt pay off. Yeah you get 1 bite maybe 2 but you will still end up dying.

What they need to do is figure out why aliens win more and at the same time fix the combat for the skulk. The skulk is broken and the marine's bunny hops are even more broken. So if they fix the skulk by making it do what it is supposed to do (ambush and sneak) then they also need to figure out what is making aliens win late game. And let me tell you, it is not the skulks overpowering marines. Skulks are more like shooting practice for marines even up in close proximity as the marines just hop around while reloading and shooting. It looks like utter nonsense. Ofcourse if you are one of them "Power Rangers" then you just want to keep it the way it is cause its fun!
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    edited September 2013
    Id take my leap/cara/celerity skulk vs a SG/JP (0vs35) before id take a base rine vs fade (0vs40)... but thats me...
    Vision305 wrote: »
    everyone is opposed to buffing skulks because the aliens win more in the end. Well let me tell you something. Even if the aliens win in the end it is very frustrating to play as a skulk. You can try to sneak, ambush, or whatever you want to but a skilled marine will always jump away from you and one shot you with a shotty or mow you down with the rifle. It is not fun to be a skulk because all the climbing and ambushing and waiting doesnt pay off. Yeah you get 1 bite maybe 2 but you will still end up dying.

What they need to do is figure out why aliens win more and at the same time fix the combat for the skulk. The skulk is broken and the marine's bunny hops are even more broken. So if they fix the skulk by making it do what it is supposed to do (ambush and sneak) then they also need to figure out what is making aliens win late game. And let me tell you, it is not the skulks overpowering marines. Skulks are more like shooting practice for marines even up in close proximity as the marines just hop around while reloading and shooting. It looks like utter nonsense. Ofcourse if you are one of them "Power Rangers" then you just want to keep it the way it is cause its fun!

You obviously haven't played against skilled skulks yet? This thread is full of tips how to play the skulk. It is not hard to kill a lone marine. Before reinforced ambushing a marine was nearly a guarantied kill. That was overpowered. Now you will have to use at least a bit of teamplay and stop playing the rambo predator to get kills easily as skulk. You move in groups as marines. Do the same as aliens.
    edited September 2013
    Ignore this not sure how to delete a comment :)

• Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    Vision305 wrote: »

You joined these forums about a week ago, so I'm assuming you're a new player that came in the last patch? Maybe you haven't figured out how to effectively play as the skulk yet. That doesn't mean it isn't possible. Sometimes our personal frustrations are just that: personal. They don't have anything to do with game balance.

Keep trying and I guarantee you the skulk becomes much easier to play.
  • ChikunChikun Join Date: 2013-01-10 Member: 178729Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Was it changed in NS1 where a skulk with focus landing a back hit on a marine with no armor upgrades was an insta kill?