My serverbrowser experience since alpha

KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited September 2013 in Technical Support
EDIT: whoops, video showed my static ip so i removed it. (you never know...)

Basically it takes 10 +-5min (video was 9min of me trying to finally join a server) until i can join a server... it takes ages to refresh the list again, and most of the time it gives me a couldnt establish a connection with the server....

Any suggestions?

Connection: 30mbit down 10mbit upstream (speedtest and pingtest look excellent, and i dont have such problems in any other serverbrowser/game)
Router: Netgear wnr834b

While i do have a workaround joining over nanogrid, or only over friends (which always works)
This cant replace a proper server browser experience. (nanogrid doesnt even show ping)

Comments

• ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    have your tried the fixes listed in the the network issues thread?

Particularly, the one concerning limiting the number of servers refreshed.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    yes ofc, doesnt help.

Guess the only thing left to do is buying a different router if nobody here has any other ideas i could try...
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    it's taking you a long time to join servers, or a long time to refresh the browser? (sorry didn't understand your initial post)
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    so, someone else had a similar issue for a really long time and then ghoul of gsg9 had him delete a file from his steam directory. try removing:

steam/userdata/<steamid>/4920

might work for you too:)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Try typing retry in the console 3 seconds after you get booted to the main menu with "Couldnt establish a connection"

But yea.. we need tons more info from you, like modem name and model, router, network configuration (wireless, wired, only 1 computer, ISP?) etc
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    Confused wrote: »
    so, someone else had a similar issue for a really long time and then ghoul of gsg9 had him delete a file from his steam directory. try removing:

steam/userdata/<steamid>/4920

might work for you too:)

I did try that already too. Nope doesnt help.

ISP: UPC Chello Austria
    Cable modem Thomson TCM 420-> router Netgear wnr834b -> pc (z87m-plus)
    30mbit down 10mbit up

Atm im running win8x64 pro, also had win7 and 8.1 preview running and the problem persissted. (long story: win7 -> reinstall and switch to win 8 -> 8.1 preview -> reinstall back down to 8 so im running a very fresh install)
    Since my mainboard died i also had the pleasure to try out 3 different network cards(2times onboard on 2 different mainboards, and one external network card i had lying around) - no changes.

I ve got wlan active for a nexus 7 and or a galaxy ace, having them active or not doesnt do anything - what i havent tried tho is disabling wlan in the router and test if that does anything.

Another thing in could try is going directly from the modem to the pc, but thats kinda a pain in the ass :P need to call isp change mac adress and wait and test and then change back so i can use other devices as well again.

Problem desciption:

Starting ns2, server list refreshes fine, connect to server, 99% of the time i will get a couldnt establish connection, server list wont load anymore for ~2-3min, repeat until it finally lets me join a server. so it takes me around 10min usually until i can join a server - which feels like 30min. (since you basically watch at a blank server list for the most part)

Joining over steamfriends or nanogrid always works fine btw, didnt try retry for a long time (since it never worked the way it should - so it usually ended up with me joining a server i was on the day before rather than trying to join a server i just tried to connect to, guess thats fixed now?) - going to check that out tomorrow.

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2013
    "Cable modem Thomson"
    Thar she be, matey.

Absolutely nothing worse than that thing. Nothing. Just google it and observe the results.
    Also the first page of the connection problems thread is littered with possible solutions for it, (for good reason) have you tried all?

It's issues come from flooding, specifically. NS2 barely regulates the query speed in the server browser, overloading certain modems and routers. You didnt post whether you had success with my suggested workaround? I was stuck on a tethered 4G connection for 6 months playing NS2... same exact issue, but i got around it by typing "retry" in the console a whole 3 seconds after being kicked back to the main menu. It gives just enough time for the modem/phone to stop being flooded and catch up.. finally accepting a singular query/ping. (this is why you can join off of friends and 3rdf party server browsers.)
    Also, Limiting steam's server refresh rate to 250 helped but did not fix it when i was using that 4g.