Mirrors, nothing but good intentions staring back at me.

zackmaster666zackmaster666 Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187344Members, Reinforced - Shadow
Mirrors!
I have no idea where to say this so I'm just gonna give it a shot here.
On the next map that is released i would love to see mirrors on the map. Maybe a mirror maze like map where every corner you turn you could see some movement here or there and go off on your own reflection. I know that this kind of map would be hard to get balanced right because to many mirrors and a Ninja aline rush would be way overpowered. Plus mirrors would really only affect marines do to the alien vision. An answer to this might be so that the aliens could see their reflection in heat form as well, or maybe they see the mirrors as glass. With this the mirrors could be used as traps to lure an alien after a marine only to realize its a reflection. To me and a few of my modding friends they seem like they would add a nice little twist to the game. I would love to see someone run into a dark room and start shooting at there own reflection. But I am not a modder and do not claim to be so I can't even imagine the amount of work and codeing to get mirrors into the game.
P.S. Even I'm iffy on this because it seems like a fun little extra to consider... But at this far along into the game it maybe an unnecessary thought. One of those "It sounded GREAT", ideas but when test was terrible.

Comments

• hub3rtu2hub3rtu2 Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165478Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    You do realize how difficult it is to implement mirrors in a 3D video game? Basically rendering "another" room outside the mirror with lots of checks and optimization, if I am not mistaken, which doesn't help performance. Most modern games don't even consider having one and just break all the mirrors in the game's world. There's Portal at least.
    Even id Software had to "asspull" some magic number to optimize calculating reflections.

NS2's optimal system requirements would skyrocket from NASA supercomputers, to some alien high-tech civilizations' quantum computers.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Let's waste the complete reinforcement fund on a tiny mirrow somewhere in a secret room. :D
  • RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited September 2013
    hub3rtu2 wrote: »
    You do realize how difficult it is to implement mirrors in a 3D video game? Basically rendering "another" room outside the mirror

I might be wrong but that shouldn't be that hard. You simply add a camera at the same distance you're from the mirror, but in the "dimension" of the mirror... Takes the view field (right term ? or is it viewport) of that 2nd camera and put it in the texture of the mirror. For non-shaped mirrors that is.

note : If the mirror is small, a lot of clipping would be done, hence having a non-laggy mirror.

But it is really something I do not want to see on a short term (that's inviting lag), as I consider that there are more important things that can be done.
  • zackmaster666zackmaster666 Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187344Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    That's why I said even I'm iffy about this idea.(once again I am not a programmer and I do not understand the full implications of this thought of my potential team and me) I'm only posting it because the member of the team I'm trying to get started do not have a account on UnknownWorlds, but believe this is something worth mention but can not make themselves so we thought it best to ask the whole community about this. Someone else who has a broader understanding of this idea will give us a better perceptive on it... And to see if it is something worth of mention.
    Mirrors!
    P.S. Even I'm iffy on this because it seems like a fun little extra to consider... But at this far along into the game it maybe an unnecessary thought. One of those "It sounded GREAT", ideas but when tested was terrible.