DMG counter pops up off-screen.

NedStarNedStar Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187224Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited September 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
I'm not sure if this was intended or not but pre 244 I had no issues seeing the dmg pop up when I'd bite a rine as skulk. Right now it seems to pop up on the actual target where as before I had the feeling it would pop up on the center of my screen.
So when I go in for a bite and then move my mouse away from the marine I no longer see the DMG at all. By the time it pops up, it's behind me and I got no clue whether that was a proper hit or not.
I'm aware there's a delay due to server side hit reg but that never made me clueless of the dmg output I was doing as a skulk.

Were as before I'd have zero problems knowing whether my hits were landing. I now find myself not knowing whether I hit in most cases. Needless to say this is rather problematic for me as a skulk as I can no longer judge for certain if it's smarter to go in for the last bite or double back.
I'm aware there's sound when you bite a marine which is a good enough guideline to go by when very little is going on but when there's a lot of sound going on I find myself not hearing these sounds in the chaos at all.

I've seen a few posts pop up about this issue here and there so I reckon I'm not the only one who's finding this difficult.

Comments

• ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    Yeah it's annoying as hell not knowing whether my bite hit or not because the damage number popped outside of my viewpoint.
  • WakelaggerWakelagger Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 170906Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I am curious if this is a bug, because I noticed that the name, active microphone and needs weld icons are all appearing at an offset point from where the marine stands. I am thinking that maybe the damage markers are doing the same thing. Really frustrating as skulk, because the damage number is no where to be seen most of the time.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    It's definitely known, I made sure I've voiced my opinion about this in the PT group. It needs to be unfixed. I can't stand it.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    I definitely have the same problem, before this current build I never had an issue knowing whether or not I had landed the bite. Now I can never be sure whether I did it or not. Pretty frustrating honestly.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    How do I know if I got a full shot on a fade? I see no damage that's how, legit tactic.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    edited September 2013
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    It's definitely known, I made sure I've voiced my opinion about this in the PT group. It needs to be unfixed. I can't stand it.
    To clarify what he's saying - the old behavior that people would like to see returned was a (very old) bug that was just fixed. The current behavior is in fact the original intended behavior. Granted, no one actually seems to like the current and apparently intended behavior, so now we have to explain why so it gets some proper changes.

While we're on the topic of draw damage numbers I'd like to see lerk poison bite damage ticks draw damage as well. It just seems weird to have things excluded from drawing damage on screen.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The offset (seen at the weld icon) looks definitely like a bug. And the damage numbers need to be always on screen. No matter what. Even if I look at the completely opposite direction, than the numbers should be drawn at the border of the screen that is closest to the occurred damage.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    Stuff like the welder icon or keyboard typing offset is a different, completely unrelated bug (it's from redoing the rigging on all the models).
  • bizbiz Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167386Members
    edited September 2013
    _Necro_ wrote: »
    And the damage numbers need to be always on screen. No matter what. Even if I look at the completely opposite direction, than the numbers should be drawn at the border of the screen that is closest to the occurred damage.

or it could be just like the previous 20 builds and just show the predicted damage which turns into actual damage slightly later
    just like marines
  • herakl3sherakl3s Join Date: 2010-12-22 Member: 75852Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Damage counter should be removed, knowing your enemy health stack, a structure approximate health etc... Is a skill.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2013
    Yeah, I count all the pellets that hit from my shotgun too.

Just make it so if the damage number "appears off screen" it appears along the edge closest to the target, like someone already said.
  • bizbiz Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167386Members
    edited September 2013
    the old system worked because it was immediate feedback. that was more important than the numbers and the math

drawing numbers on screen doesn't fix the fundamental issue which is that they render way too late
    Ok, so just revert it.
  • herakl3sherakl3s Join Date: 2010-12-22 Member: 75852Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    There is other ways than counting your hits to understand your enemy stack, his behaviour, sound cues, visual cues.
    It's called gamesense.
    The damage counter is a dumb down of the game.
    This isn't quake, the game is too eratic for damage prediction. Damage counters are ok in my opinion, at least for the shotgun, you could drop it on the rifle. A good player isn't going to give away his health with behaviour though.
    Hmm yeah maybe but i like the teamplay and instinct involved without it.
    Guys i shot 3 clips in this rt, this fade took a full etc...
  • Side1Bu2Rnz9Side1Bu2Rnz9 Join Date: 2012-10-16 Member: 162510Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    @herakl3s Yes and this communication is done regularly despite having damage numbers. Only problem seems that if your shotgun hit wasn't as direct as you think it was, that fade might have no armor or barely got hurt at all... Won't know unless you know for sure. Damage numbers help. Also with regen and meds the health could be whatever even if giving the numbers... Not going to hurt the teamplay or instinct involved.
  • SanCoSanCo Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155744Members
    Install a xhair with melee hit indicator, if that is possible.
  • StrikerX3StrikerX3 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168423Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Narfwak wrote: »
    To clarify what he's saying - the old behavior that people would like to see returned was a (very old) bug that was just fixed. The current behavior is in fact the original intended behavior. Granted, no one actually seems to like the current and apparently intended behavior, so now we have to explain why so it gets some proper changes.

I didn't know it was a bug. It looked perfectly fine to me and should become a feature. A few more examples of bugs that became features:
    - Strafe-jumping in Quake giving speed boosts
    - Cancelling attacks in Street Fighter which allowed for very complex combos
    - Skiing in Tribes
    - Block update detectors in Minecraft
    I could go on, but have a link instead.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    no one actually seems to like the current and apparently intended behavior of the hit registration
    no one actually seems to like the current and apparently intended behavior of the alien vision

dont fix it if its not broken :P or atleast it was broken in a good way until UWE "fixed" it.
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    Sewlek wrote: »
    will be "unfixed" in next patch

Woot one down lets move on down the list...

Alien vision
    damage numbers
    Marine jump
    Exo beacon

• RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Sewlek wrote: »
    will be "unfixed" in next patch

@Sewlek: Awesome, I presume that also applies to the cluttered normal alien sight, too? Will we get a usable alternative akin to the old AV back? It's nigh on impossible to track good marines in a busy fight, particularly if you have friendlies and structures nearby. Most important thing is to simplify the visuals as the textures combined with the harsh orange outlines is really problematic in CQC right now. We get to see the pretty maps as marines, please let us see what's going on in fights as aliens!!!!!!
  • BobRossTheBossBobRossTheBoss Join Date: 2012-12-31 Member: 176824Members
    edited September 2013
    herakl3s wrote: »

So should structures have health bars? Health bars make it easier for people to understand how much health a hive or RTs have without needing any team or game sense, so obviously it removes the teamplay and instinct aspect of the action.
  • Side1Bu2Rnz9Side1Bu2Rnz9 Join Date: 2012-10-16 Member: 162510Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    herakl3s wrote: »

So should structures have health bars? Health bars make it easier for people to understand how much health a hive or RTs have without needing any team or game sense, so obviously it removes the teamplay and instinct aspect of the action.

Not sure if you understand what he's saying. He wants no damage numbers or health indicators at all.
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    edited September 2013
    Harvestors do have health bars? And hive tells you %health...

+1 to unfix AV
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    While (un)fixing the damage numbers, please make sure it works with Vortex as well. Right now, you only see the hit indicator if you quickly turn towards your target... even if it's in another room now.
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    _Necro_ wrote: »
    The offset (seen at the weld icon) looks definitely like a bug. And the damage numbers need to be always on screen. No matter what. Even if I look at the completely opposite direction, than the numbers should be drawn at the border of the screen that is closest to the occurred damage.

That was my first though as well, but that would give the Alien player a form of "mini-radar" that gives away the location of the marine after the first bite. So you could simply turn towards the damage number to get the Marine back into view.

You could argue it's a counter to the new Marine power-dodge, though... :P