Reinforced Expansion Released! - Natural Selection 2

1234568»

Comments

• GanJaBFDGanJaBFD Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73031Members
    Mvp wrote: »
    driecg36 wrote: »
    Wait, it's now Linux-able, but still not mac-able? I bought this game 2 years ago, and havent played it once because i thought Unknown would add mac relatively quickly. I am happy for the linux users, but really pissed that mac STILL cant play the game. WIll i have to wait another 2 years or will you FINALLY decide to make NS2 macable? It looks like such an awesome game, which makes it even more annoying that i cannot play it.
    I feel your pain. There's no reason to do Linux first. There are far more OS X users than Linux (source: http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey). But oh well, I asked and they said OS X will be ready soon.
    Newer Macs can natively run windows. So obviously since the ability is there Linux would be the natural choice to go after first. Besides Linux is free, Mac is not.

On another there are how many players in NS2? And only 25 available slots of the top "reasonable" contributor?
    include wrote: »
    I don't really play NS2 as often anymore (I miss the dynamic gameplay style of NS1 where a base location isn't pre-determined), but this devteam always has my love and support, so sign me up for Shadow! They have poured their blood into this project ever since NS1.
    biz wrote: »
    I might have further supported development of NS2, but then there was the whole "you will get used to the new alien vision because it will make you will appreciate our artwork" thing

It's a wise decision on their part. In fact, it's something I suggested every since NS2 was in beta. It was always pretty lame to have to play in the "vision" mode and miss out on all the atmosphere due to the advantage it had. Now you can have the advantage and atmosphere at the same time. It's a welcome addition, in my books.

The new vision was a mod from the community. I see no mention of this from the NS2 Team.

And further yet several things stated in the video: Are simpy incorrect.
    (0:26) "You have to design a game from the ground up to be free to play" - WRONG several successful games RIGHT now were Pay to Play or Purchase to Play and went Free to Play. Examples: DC Universe, Planetside 2, etc.
    (0:47) "We don't have any account system" - Excuse me? You pull steam IDs and authenticate the ownership of the game. You have an account system right there. Just as with NS1, everything was controlled with those IDs. If I ran a server and wanted to give admin to someone it was either via a command login or via steam ID.
    (1:19) "Without having to generate an account" - How do you think you get into Steam?

8 million dollars in revenue at launch. You have 9 employees right now according to your site. At a 550K$ cost for 6 months of development that means you are each making roughly 10k$/month, lets say 9k$/ea a month to leave room for lights and such. Game has been out for nearly a year now. Granted you guys spent time developing before hand. Still to "threaten" the loyal community with "if you don't pony up we will stop developing full time" is rather asinine. There are many other avenues to make your game profitable. Or you can abandon it like you seem to be planning to do already. Donations will happen by some, hell I would have donated had I not found all of this garbage. But Donations are clearly NOT needed to keep Unknown Worlds a float or prospering. Even at the rate you are claiming to be spending that still leaves 3 years on the table with JUST the launch revenue.

If you want to be a successful long term company don't follow all the big companies footsteps. Look where most of them are at? Shutting down games, jumping from one development to the next. Granted some are making it but they aren't sustainable without new games coming out ever 1-2 years. The only real sustainable games which focus on a single game that aren't dieing off are the free to play models. And even some of those are dieing off.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    GanJaBFD wrote: »
    Wait, it's now Linux-able, but still not mac-able? I bought this game 2 years ago, and havent played it once because i thought Unknown would add mac relatively quickly. I am happy for the linux users, but really pissed that mac STILL cant play the game. WIll i have to wait another 2 years or will you FINALLY decide to make NS2 macable? It looks like such an awesome game, which makes it even more annoying that i cannot play it.
    I feel your pain. There's no reason to do Linux first. There are far more OS X users than Linux (source: http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey). But oh well, I asked and they said OS X will be ready soon.
    Newer Macs can natively run windows. So obviously since the ability is there Linux would be the natural choice to go after first. Besides Linux is free, Mac is not.

On another there are how many players in NS2? And only 25 available slots of the top "reasonable" contributor?
    include wrote: »
    I don't really play NS2 as often anymore (I miss the dynamic gameplay style of NS1 where a base location isn't pre-determined), but this devteam always has my love and support, so sign me up for Shadow! They have poured their blood into this project ever since NS1.
    biz wrote: »
    I might have further supported development of NS2, but then there was the whole "you will get used to the new alien vision because it will make you will appreciate our artwork" thing

It's a wise decision on their part. In fact, it's something I suggested every since NS2 was in beta. It was always pretty lame to have to play in the "vision" mode and miss out on all the atmosphere due to the advantage it had. Now you can have the advantage and atmosphere at the same time. It's a welcome addition, in my books.
    The new vision was a mod from the community. I see no mention of this from the NS2 Team.
    Has been said multible times, and Huze is now a developer.

And further yet several things stated in the video: Are simpy incorrect.
    (0:26) "You have to design a game from the ground up to be free to play" - WRONG several successful games RIGHT now were Pay to Play or Purchase to Play and went Free to Play. Examples: DC Universe, Planetside 2, etc.
    This is MMOs that hosts the servers in massive server farms. You can host your own NS2 server on your laptop if you like, and mod the game to your harts content. Its unfair to compare NS2 to thoes, the coding is vastly differnt.
    (0:47) "We don't have any account system" - Excuse me? You pull steam IDs and authenticate the ownership of the game. You have an account system right there. Just as with NS1, everything was controlled with those IDs. If I ran a server and wanted to give admin to someone it was either via a command login or via steam ID.
    There is no account system hosted by UWE. Its either in YOUR control as a player/admin or the connected steamaccount - Having another account (like uplay for staints row - or ea games whit origin) Is a huge task, costs alot of money and requires large server farms. It would be a even greater task to alow for modding, a task even EA, Ubisoft or others for that sake isnt even trying. Its to big and expensive to do.[/quote]
    (1:19) "Without having to generate an account" - How do you think you get into Steam?
    Whitout a large decicated team to create and manage stuff, linking the steam accounts and keeping a 100% open source gamecode is virtualy imposible.
    8 million dollars in revenue at launch. You have 9 employees right now according to your site. At a 550K$ cost for 6 months of development that means you are each making roughly 10k$/month, lets say 9k$/ea a month to leave room for lights and such. Game has been out for nearly a year now. Granted you guys spent time developing before hand. Still to "threaten" the loyal community with "if you don't pony up we will stop developing full time" is rather asinine. There are many other avenues to make your game profitable. Or you can abandon it like you seem to be planning to do already. Donations will happen by some, hell I would have donated had I not found all of this garbage. But Donations are clearly NOT needed to keep Unknown Worlds a float or prospering. Even at the rate you are claiming to be spending that still leaves 3 years on the table with JUST the launch revenue.
    I dont think you know how much it costs to create a game, let me give you some examples http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/the-little-fighting-game-that-could/1100-4587/
    $150,000 for one 2d cartoonish fighting character is relativly cheap, heck the AAA fighting game Killer Instinct will launch whit only 6 playable toons, and they have millions and a full house of devs.
    Not to talk about returning money to the investors. A large chunk of the profits have gone back to them. I promiss you that the 550k will go away faster then you think.
    sales on ns2 will lower, and making a game takes years. If UWE is to release another game in 2-5 years they need the funding to allso be able to continue support and update NS2.
    If you want to be a successful long term company don't follow all the big companies footsteps. Look where most of them are at? Shutting down games, jumping from one development to the next. Granted some are making it but they aren't sustainable without new games coming out ever 1-2 years. The only real sustainable games which focus on a single game that aren't dieing off are the free to play models. And even some of those are dieing off.
    As you said, even the big companies are shutting down. Game development aint cheap, continius game development for allready released games is an even harder task, since you dont have that initialy burst of income as you have on release.
    A succesfull f2p like lol or dota requires huge server banks to host all this, and alot of staff to build, maintain and dev for it.

• GanJaBFDGanJaBFD Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73031Members
    GISP wrote: »
    There is no account system hosted by UWE. Its either in YOUR control as a player/admin or the connected steamaccount - Having another account (like uplay for staints row - or ea games whit origin) Is a huge task, costs alot of money and requires large server farms. It would be a even greater task to alow for modding, a task even EA, Ubisoft or others for that sake isnt even trying. Its to big and expensive to do.

Whitout a large decicated team to create and manage stuff, linking the steam accounts and keeping a 100% open source gamecode is virtualy imposible.
    1) Remote call which runs something like: SELECT * FROM goodies WHERE steam_id = {STEAM_ID}
    2) Run goody code
    Open source or not it can easily represent a built in account system with simply the Steam IDs. They did this in NS1.
    dont think you know how much it costs to create a game
    I'm a developer myself. I know how much things can cost and what they SHOULD cost. My original 9-10k/month is actually either low or below average for developers. All depends on who they work for. But UWE isn't a giant firm yet.

Compare Salaries from Riot Games (Facts) to UWE (Speculation based upon the 550k$ tag).
    UWE: 9-10k/month or 108-120k$/yr
    Riot Games:
    - Highest: 187k/yr
    - Lowest (for "skilled" work): 48k (3d Artist)

By all means if you create something get paid for it. But the "threats" to the player base based upon "bussiness choices" simply leave a sour taste in your mouth when you actually look at the facts.
  • Vulcan78Vulcan78 Join Date: 2012-12-09 Member: 174603Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I donated $75 for the Shadow Content but have yet to receive any form of confirmation email from UWE, only one from Humble Bundle. Does my donation register? What happens next? Anyone with the same issue?
  • OkxydOkxyd Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143981Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    @GanjaBFD I don't know the "truth". However I think you oversimplified a lot the spending: 1) They got 2M $ of investments, I think the people who did these would their money back. 2) They have "function" fees too like softwares, roof over their head and probably some subcontractors or others (lawyers) 3) They spend a lot of money in events like tournaments or conventions, which can be considering like a "waste" but are a very important to stimulate the community and exist in the jungle of their industry. I personnaly don't think they take all the money in their pockets, they spend so much times and energy to make this game that I think they REALLY want to improve it. You are probably true about some points (like Hugh's explannations), they are not saints after all, but accuse them to "threaten" us is disrespectful and excessive.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    edited September 2013
    Vulcan78 wrote: »
    I donated $75 for the Shadow Content but have yet to receive any form of confirmation email from UWE, only one from Humble Bundle. Does my donation register? What happens next? Anyone with the same issue?
    Humble page looks like this http://imgur.com/jyJCFB7
    The steam keys youll just enter as you would any other steam key, and then click the link below (in my case Onos) and fill out the form.
  • carlgmcarlgm Join Date: 2004-08-26 Member: 30907Members, Constellation
    edited September 2013
    GanJaBFD wrote: »
    Compare Salaries from Riot Games (Facts) to UWE (Speculation based upon the 550k$ tag).
    UWE: 9-10k/month or 108-120k$/yr
    Riot Games:
    - Highest: 187k/yr
    - Lowest (for "skilled" work): 48k (3d Artist)

By all means if you create something get paid for it. But the "threats" to the player base based upon "bussiness choices" simply leave a sour taste in your mouth when you actually look at the facts.

$80-120K/pa for SF is a reasonable salary but not amazing, considering very expensive cost of living.
    There are no threats, there are options which they are being upfront with.

• includeinclude aka RpTheHotrod Dallas, TX Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12027Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Any ideas how to activate the "donator" taunt?
  • VVCepheiAVVCepheiA Join Date: 2013-09-07 Member: 187972Members, Reinforced - Silver
    Hey, I just purchased the NS2 Reinforced - Silver package. I activated the "NS2 DLC - Expanded OST" key in Steam. It said, that the product was activated, but there was no "continue" to install it. I clicked "OK" and nothing else happened. Do you know what the problem could be? I have the normal NS2 version.
  • Vulcan78Vulcan78 Join Date: 2012-12-09 Member: 174603Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    Vulcan78 wrote: »
    Humble page looks like this http://imgur.com/jyJCFB7
    The steam keys youll just enter as you would any other steam key, and then click the link below (in my case Onos) and fill out the form.

When do you go to that page? Do you think a pop-up blocker would prevent it? I have an aggressive pop-up blocker extension in Chrome.

PM sent.

@Vulcan78 You should have been directed to the page/given the link to claim it imidiatly after purchaise, there is allso a link in the email they send you, from humble bundle. (The email you provided when buying it).
    Check your spam folder.
  • trinity.nstrinity.ns Join Date: 2008-12-07 Member: 65688Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    Wait, what just happened to the contributor count and the total amount of contributions? It's went down by 6k $ at least (or did my head just mess with me big times?!).

Edit: Nvm, something probably just bugged out. Now it's back to normal.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue

Reason being Linux servers :)