[Linux] Can't use 'special' keys like Mouse thumb button(s) or hash key

tuxatortuxator Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69958Members, Reinforced - Gold
Hi,

as everyone here, I've problems with NS2. Aside from what everyone else posted (performance inssues, having to start steam with LANG=en_US and so on), I've problems binding special keys to actions.

Examples are the thumb buttons of my mouse (working fine in other games like Xonotic, L4D2 or KillingFloor) and/or the following keys: '^#+<äöü

I've a German keyboard layout so that may or may not be a problem, also my keyboard layout is set to 'dead grave acute' which may explain why the ^ key is not working/recognized.

Comments

• SkvateSkvate Join Date: 2002-11-25 Member: 9892Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I was about to make a thread like this :D
    Like OP said: It works in other games like Dota2,killing floor, red orchestra etc, that runs natively on linux.
    I have a norwegian keyboard layout, and a Logitech G400 mouse.
  • tuxatortuxator Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69958Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited August 2013
    Oh, right. I've a Logitech G500 mouse. My keyboard is an old Cherry (with Tux keys, hah!). But I guess that's not really part of the problem, since that's pretty default stuff. No fancy macro keys or stuff like that.
  • disk1of5disk1of5 Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187592Members
    I also am having the same issue, Running Ubuntu 13.04 and none of my special mouse buttons are being detected. all of which work correctly in other valve based game (tf2, l4d2 ..)

currently using a Momba Razer and only mouse buttons 0-2 are being detected.

Thanks!
  • torttuPmiestorttuPmies Join Date: 2012-11-30 Member: 173774Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2013
    I also have problems recognizing special mouse keys. Both buttons + mouse wheel button work (although I can't rebind it to anything) but mouse4 and mouse5 are not recognized. They work in for other programs and games, such as in Dota2.
    This affects my gameplay a lot because I've bound my map key to one of my special mouse buttons.

The mouse I'm using is Razer Deathadder.
  • tuxatortuxator Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69958Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Could someone find out if it has been fixed in 255? Or is it still the same?
  • torttuPmiestorttuPmies Join Date: 2012-11-30 Member: 173774Members, Reinforced - Supporter
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    255 was primarily meant to address the poor performance with DirectX not going into fullscreen.. we could only fix DX9 and not DX11 , in time for the patch.
    We recently changed to SDL to handle input.. as a result we lost support for non american keyboard and special keys etc.
    It is known and being worked on actively. :)
  • xnorxnor Join Date: 2013-09-06 Member: 187916Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Just tried it on Linux as well.

Couldn't open the console with ^.

German keyboard:
    ^ 1 2 3 4 5 ...
    ° ! " § $ % ...