Pub-Stomp-Stop Mod

VenatosVenatos Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149762Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
hi all,

as there are discussions about veterans destroying matches on rookie servers and even pub servers im thinking about a mod that denies that.
the first problem is easily solved: how to recognice a rookie farmer? >> by k/d ratio.

so the basic idea is simple, kick players with a kdr of 5(7?, 9?) or higher. > no server admin needed.
(obviously no instant kick, i think about giving the player in question 1-2 warnings like: "you seem to be more skilled then the other players on the server, try using pistol and or switchaxe only")

now the hard part: special cases and alternatives to kicking the player.
case: you join a server, join as marine in a base under attack and kill 5 badly hurt skulks > instant kick? no way! so the mod only starts after 10kills.

alternatives: i didnt find any lua skripts that i could reporpose for that but: instead of kicking, the player only does half damage and or receives double damage.

rough mockup for the script:

local kdr = playerRecord.Kills / playerRecord.Deaths

if playerRecord.Kills == 10 and kdr >= 5 then
send message (i think ill reporpose the afk script for that)

if playerRecord.Kills == 15 and kdr >= 5 then
send message2

if playerRecord.Kills == 20 and kdr >= 5 then
kick player or alternative

im too tiered to flesh it out more today, but i think thats something at least the rookie servers would need. 1 inconsiderate veteran can kill the game for 10 or more rookies.

Comments

• joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited August 2013
    Absolutely terrible idea. What if people made this one?

so the basic idea is simple, kick players with a kdr of .5(.7?, .9?) or lower. > no server admin needed.
    (obviously no instant kick, i think about giving the player in question 1-2 warnings like: "you seem to be less skilled then the other players on the server, try going gorge or buy a shotgun and stop saving for exos only")

now the hard part: special cases and alternatives to kicking the player.
    case: you join a server, join as marine in a base under attack and die 5 times in a row > instant kick? no way! so the mod only starts after 10deaths.

alternatives: i didnt find any lua skripts that i could reporpose for that but: instead of kicking, the player only does double damage and or receives half damage.

rough mockup for the script:

local kdr = playerRecord.Kills / playerRecord.Deaths

if playerRecord.Deaths == 10 and kdr <= .5 then
    send message (i think ill reporpose the afk script for that)

if playerRecord.Deaths == 15 and kdr <= .5 then
    send message2

if playerRecord.Deaths == 20 and kdr <= .5 then
    kick player or alternative

Not sure kicking due to skill or incompetency is the best way to promote ns2 and build the community. I think a much better route would be to introduce at least a basic form of ranking system and let the players police themselves and admins police their servers as they see fit. The community is small enough no need to start isolating particular subgroups.
  • JimWestJimWest Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69865Members, Reinforced - Silver
  • shriikeshriike Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184461Members
  • X3N0X3N0 Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186662Members
    edited August 2013
    What about a mod that recognises the amount of hours someone has on the game, and disables both the Marines and Aliens doors in the ready room. Everyone is then obliged to to go through random door (I remember servers with random team enforced for other games), and the game assigns players to teams based on hours played so both teams are equal in terms of cumulative hours played between the players on each side.

Or a different means of achieving the same goal... just as a round begins and the countdown is initiated, the server balances the sides if they're a certain % unbalanced with regards cumulative hours played on each team swapping high hours for low hours players. An autobalance vote could prevent stacking midway through the game.

Perhaps annoying for some, but since this would be a mod it'd be a server admin's choice to implement it or not. Players would therefore get a choice to join the server or not. Between random teams and balanced player experience or choice between aliens/marines and stacking, I know which I'd choose.

[Edit] I've kinda hijacked the thread with this idea, apologies. I can start a new thread if people reckon it merits it? [/Edit]
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    Actually the mechanic of kicking those above a certain threshold KDR, will skim off the good players. Then, in the new selection set, previously average players will start getting better KDRs, until they are skimmed off, and so fourth. Eventually... What are you left with?

This game needs a model for the recording, interpretation, and comparison of player data. There are models that would be effective, yet we have none being developed for this game.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Kalabalana wrote: »
    Actually the mechanic of kicking those above a certain threshold KDR, will skim off the good players. Then, in the new selection set, previously average players will start getting better KDRs, until they are skimmed off, and so fourth. Eventually... What are you left with?

This game needs a model for the recording, interpretation, and comparison of player data. There are models that would be effective, yet we have none being developed for this game.

NS2Stats.com ?
  • VenatosVenatos Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149762Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    so all of you feel that its ok to join a rookie friendly server and go bananas on their asses with 50:2 or something like that.
    you all agree that that doesnt ruin the round for the 19 other players and is perfectly agreeable behaviour.
    i knew there where people that just dont have the ability to stop themselves and play relaxed in a support/advisory role, i didnt know there where people that defended behavior like that.

well acording to my upbringing it is not accaptable, so ill continue to try and protect our new members.
    i am realy disapointed in you.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    I agree with you that "rookiestombing" has to be stoped, but that's the job of server admins and moderators. A automatically system doesn't help anyone, because k/ds in ns2 tend to be really different for every round. And last but not least how should rookies improve their skills if they play on a server where all good ppl are kicked.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Maybe on rookie friendly servers: the higher your k/d the longer your spawn time.
    So then atleast when the rookies finally slay the pro, dropping dead on a pile of noob-corpses, after rushing at him for hours on end, the pro doesnt spawn again in 20 seconds and the rookies feel they achieved something. :)
  • VenatosVenatos Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149762Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    hmm, longer spawn time... > ill add this to the alternative options on my sketch, at the moment i dont have any idea how to implement any of the alternatives but i also didnt realy have time to read some more lua. i now realize that this may take a good while longer than the initial basic idea...
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    Damn age of entitlement... Just because you have more skill/intelligence/experience why should you do better? What if kills got shared so we just had a team score and after 5 minutes the game ended and BOTH teams get a well done...