NSL Season 3 Signups opened, they close 31st of August!

swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
We have opened the signups for yet another season and we hope to see lots of old and new teams for another 10 weeks of games. The games will begin at the 8th of September and end around the 10th of November. For more information and how to sign up, press this link.

Comments

• GrissiGrissi Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20314Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Any chance we can see 2-3 new maps this season? For example I think the new docking really deserves to be tried out in a real game. We could also check if there are any up and coming custom maps that might be worth trying out. If players are worried about minor imbalances we already have 2 maps that go well into that area in the map pool. Having more maps to play with will create more diversity and more interesting experience.

The 2nd thing I would like to point out is the addition of friendly fire. Dragon already has a mod that has 33% ff working(same as ns1 values). Personally I would like to see people stop hitting each other as aliens or hitting friendly marine without being punished. Might be worth trying out and add to the season.
  • SUPER_SARSSUPER_SARS Join Date: 2013-02-13 Member: 183039Members
    Grissi wrote: »
    Any chance we can see 2-3 new maps this season? For example I think the new docking really deserves to be tried out in a real game. We could also check if there are any up and coming custom maps that might be worth trying out. If players are worried about minor imbalances we already have 2 maps that go well into that area in the map pool. Having more maps to play with will create more diversity and more interesting experience.

The 2nd thing I would like to point out is the addition of friendly fire. Dragon already has a mod that has 33% ff working(same as ns1 values). Personally I would like to see people stop hitting each other as aliens or hitting friendly marine without being punished. Might be worth trying out and add to the season.

I would also like to see 2-3 more maps put into rotation, but before we do that could we fix the ones that we have now? Like could someone for the love of anything flsd;hgfldakgas;dlhfaldgkjf;askfsd;fsading fix tram top spawn.
  • CatCopCatCop Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20296Members, Constellation
    Wooooooooo! Maybe more NA teams will be sort of kinda' active now!
  • GrissiGrissi Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20314Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    SUPER_SARS wrote: »
    I would also like to see 2-3 more maps put into rotation, but before we do that could we fix the ones that we have now? Like could someone for the love of anything flsd;hgfldakgas;dlhfaldgkjf;askfsd;fsading fix tram top spawn.

Since most maps in the pool currently are offical maps we don't have much freedom to do fixes for them. Creating different version for competitive and public would make it harder for new teams to get into the scene.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2013
    Valid point about docking. I think we will have a team-based vote where every team gets one vote about whether or not to include the map. I'm not sure what other maps you mean? Can't imagine you mean refinery or mineshaft.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    I'd strongly suggest using the DAK mod for Season 3.

It's great for improving the network performance of the game on servers.

60ms interp and 50 move rate. Happier lerks around corners and happier marines in close quarters.

IT ALSO HAS A PAUSE FUNCTION IF PLAYERS DISCONNECT. WOW, THAT'S REALLY COOL.

:3

Nexzil is signed up y0.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2013
    That does sound appealing Locklear, will definitely be taken into consideration. Are those the default settings of the mod?
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    The pause function is a plugin for the default DAK mod, so its essentially 2 mods AFAIK
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Grissi wrote: »
    SUPER_SARS wrote: »

Since most maps in the pool currently are offical maps we don't have much freedom to do fixes for them. Creating different version for competitive and public would make it harder for new teams to get into the scene.

If we can't fix things like the unbalanced tram top vs shipping spawn, can we at least make it so the same team doesn't get top spawn on both rounds?
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I already mentioned to some that i thought it would be nice if each team would get the same hive. So say if scurvy was playing against dn on tram, DN decides that they want to play alien first, when they spawn say if they get server hive, when that round is over and begin the next round, scurvy would also get server room hive. I don't see how it is balanced or equal if each team gets a seperate hive location (some which are infact better than others). The main issue i hear is that teams will be able to make plans about how to go about dealing with the team on their next round, since they'll know where they are starting. But in all honesty i don't even think that is a big issue, each team already has somewhat of a plan on what they would do if a team starting location was server, shipping or warehouse. Fact is you can plan out and know where the hive is all you want, but if your pushes are unsuccessful it doesn't matter how much you planned.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    edited August 2013
    DAK Admin kit because pings go down by about 40 and registration feels amazing by comparison. This is a no-brainer. No more shooting a skulk, know you hit him, and then having to wait nearly a second to watch him die.

Friendly Fire PLEAAASSEE, what are we doing without it ?!?!?!?! I've made threads here and on ENSL. Disable it in the lowest divisions if anything.. But really I want it on for everyone.

Draw Damage should also be disabled, but I don't see that happening.

My opinion on maps is that the less balanced a map is for one round, the more balanced it is overall. If aliens win 100% of the time, that is a perfect 50%-50% balance for competitive play, such that marines have to do something seriously exceptional to get a win. Of course I don't suggest imbalancing maps like this on purpose, but that's the statistical truth of it.

So yes, add mineshaft, add refinery, add tanith, add caged, add biodome, add eclipse, add kodiak. And each week we should play 4 rounds on each map. Not two different maps. I'm even more of a fan of single map win by 2. This game is new and these custom maps deserve some attention. Playing them in a season will give ALOT of information through scrimmages/PCWs and the incipient matches to played each week.

Don't we miss scrimming the same map over and over again each week, scrimming every single team except the one we're going to play?

The way Tram should be fixed for the season is aliens always spawn shipping (South). Aliens on north spawn make no sense, but with practice alien bottom spawn will still easily have a win rate above 50%. Plus it actually makes the gameplay far more exciting

edit: I agree with same spawns. It worked better not doing this in NS1 because of the stagnant marine spawn. I would like this to be instituted if possible, that marines always spawn the same location on each map, or atleast when the maps are decided it is said then. Having us rotate around the map doesn't work to the same effect. Obviously on maps like summit this dictates the need for crosspawns, but it's not always true.

Just tell us before hand so it can be practiced, that's what it's all about
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    Actually enjoy Mineshaft when it's not repair-cave spawns. People should be more open to playing maps like docking and mineshaft instead of being so dismissive, so that any actual problems are better agreed upon.

Would be fine with an NSL Tram changing the north side RT layout also. Moving platform down or giving a better sight line for example.

And +1 for 33% friendly fire, no draw damage, and not having guaranteed same spawns - I don't think it's worth sacrificing that variation.

Hopefully a build will come out one day where the hive can't be instantly discovered by the commander at no cost.
    edited August 2013
    I would actually not mind to see a lot of new maps added in this cup and see how they work out. Some of them will need fixed spawns though.

A random interesting thing that could be done is to allow teams to select between 4 different maps every week. Either allow teams to select what map they want to play or simply block 1 map that they don't want to use.

By getting more maps into the cup we increase the chances these maps will be adjusted with the feedback we gather. Making the game more interesting on the long run.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    - More maps.
    - DAK mod.
    - I am indifferent on friendly fire. I won't complain if it gets implemented.
    - Rofl @ no draw damage. With the LOL reg/latency in this game, removing it would be stupid.
    - I thought about same spawns a lot. I was initially for it, but I now would rather just want to fix the problem. I'm looking at you Tram. Remove/Move Plat rt or something.
    I guess we could minimize the balance issues on tram by removing warehouse spawn. Server room would still be favorable but not as much.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    I still think Plat rt is a big part of the problem. Even if aliens hold the whole top (like they normally do) removing plat will give them only 4 rts. Plus Plat was always the hardest rt for marines to push.

-Just my thoughts.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Alien south spawn isn't broken. Alien's do not automatically lose on south spawn. Marines do not automatically win with a north spawn.

I agree modification should happen on that map, but I expect nothing soon.
    edited August 2013
    The pause function is a plugin for the default DAK mod, so its essentially 2 mods AFAIK
    Wasn't so much about the pause function, more the interp and moverate.

About friendlyfire, I would like to see it as well, I just need to talk to dragon about the mod. Just haven't got around to it yet. If it gets implemented, which I strongly suspect it does, it will be forced on every official season match.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    Yea idk if the pause plugin works anymore, with all the changes in 250 it might have broken, and I just haven't had the time to fix it. Honestly I would prefer to just work with you guys to develop a single 'NSL' mod which could include all the current league approved versions of the maps (so no random updates breaking scrims), also so things remain more consistent/controlled, and any other mods that are needed (slightly modified ns2stats?, something to lower interp/increase move rate/pause commands/friendly fire).
    edited August 2013
    That would be extremely awesome Dragon. We've been looking into that for a while, but haven't found anyone able and willing yet. Do you think there is enough time to have it ready before the season begins?
    +1!
    edited August 2013
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    really shouldn't take long - I basically already made everything just would need to integrate the various maps (need to stay under 100mb tho, so maybe not every map? and decide on how best to integrate ns2stats if possible.

edit - well all the current maps fit but its at like 95 mb so no more after the current 5 :/
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Disadvantage of bundling the maps is that all of them will need to be downloaded before even getting into the server. If they're separate you can download them as required.
  • AiorosAioros Join Date: 2003-03-24 Member: 14850Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    xDragon wrote: »
    Yea idk if the pause plugin works anymore, with all the changes in 250 it might have broken, and I just haven't had the time to fix it. Honestly I would prefer to just work with you guys to develop a single 'NSL' mod which could include all the current league approved versions of the maps (so no random updates breaking scrims), also so things remain more consistent/controlled, and any other mods that are needed (slightly modified ns2stats?, something to lower interp/increase move rate/pause commands/friendly fire).

issue is if you stop to work on that "one" mod and NSL doesnt find some1 to replace you. All mods are gone for quit some time.
    ifs its small mods all over the place, at least some will always be done in time.
    just make sure that "one" mod got a few ppl being able to update it.
    edited August 2013
    I'm not sure we want to include the nsl_maps in this mod. It seems like overkill and it should be as lightweight as possible. Including ns2stats might cause it to break too often as well.

Edit: I might try and ask Mendasp to change the current NSL tram with aliens static Shipping spawn and marines static Server spawn once if the Summer Cup is over. It seems it could be worth a try.
    I'm loving these changes.

Can we have the files be downloadable on the ensl website or a mirror

This way when the workshop goes down or something, it wont be as much trouble. But maybe it wouldn't work this way
    edited August 2013
    Ok so I removed all the maps, and added a simple check on connect to get a users information from the ENSL site - jiriki had made the ENSL plugin opensource on github so i was able to find out how he was getting the information... But there seems to be some issues with users not returning their teams correctly, so I cannot really make a system for mercs yet as I think most people will show up as a merc.

NS2stats can be included/not included pretty easy, atm i would just comment out 2 lines and it wouldnt be loaded.
    Making it work outside of workshop would be troublesome, I dont know if you remember the old days of having to run insight, having each client download the newest version and then edit their launch parameters, but it was a major pain lol.
    Alrighty then, let's get some high reg friendly fire scrims going. Thank Jesus.

Does this work right now with the SC mod?
    edited August 2013
    Really nice Dragon! Hope you can figure out the problem somehow.
    Can you make it so that when one team says "ready", there is a 20 minute timer, counting down until the "no-show forfeit"? It seems alot of matches are getting delayed much further than that, which is obviously unacceptable for whoever is waiting.
    Mendasp told me the spawns are in the actual maps now, which leaves most of the No close spawns mod useless, except for the Spectator Lights thingy, you should probably include that in the mod if you haven't already.
    swalk wrote: »
    Really nice Dragon! Hope you can figure out the problem somehow.
    Can you make it so that when one team says "ready", there is a 20 minute timer, counting down until the "no-show forfeit"? It seems alot of matches are getting delayed much further than that, which is obviously unacceptable for whoever is waiting.
    Mendasp told me the spawns are in the actual maps now, which leaves most of the No close spawns mod useless, except for the Spectator Lights thingy, you should probably include that in the mod if you haven't already.

To be fair, I imagine you're basing the waiting on the Cups over the summer. I don't think that teams will have as much trouble with this problem during the regular season.

As such I would rather a forfeit be decided by a referee and not by a timer. The timer is a good guideline, but if the "Ready Team" is willing to wait, it's in good taste to wait.

If a specific team makes a habit out of being late, then a time limit should be strictly enforced, but we should let sportsmanship rule here.