The Black marine

RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
With having alien lifeforms and even female marines coming up i felt there was something missing...a black marine.
So i took the liberty to make a little tweak to the existing male face texture in order to change the appearance of the marines.

The final result looks like this:
c6uoyWU.jpg

It still uses the same male_face2.dds but only slightly differently colored. It took me 3 times until it looked good ingame.

The first result was a little dark:

960FE17032E43DC45C6539859806021985FF054D

Here you can se before and after picture, i initially just draw right over the texture but went into higher detail as you can see in the second version:

DggvcFI.jpg

If there would be anything i could change then i possibly would add more prominent mustache. Nothing over the top.
Or even better warp the actual 3D model of the face slightly to fit texture in a different way.

This did not take long at all and if an armature could pull this off i don't see any reason to why there would not be some variations of different demographics.
Sry for spelling or expressing myself wrong in advance English is my 3rd language.

You can se it already in action on the 32 Man server on NS2 but if there is demand enough i might add it to steam workshop as a small separate mod.

Comments

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Holy...nice work. Doesn't look like some crap quality thrown together stuff.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Aww you didn't give him a red shirt.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
  • BigRustyRedBigRustyRed Join Date: 2012-11-30 Member: 173786Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    Even "funny racism" is a nono, shame on you! - GISP
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    Does he get any unique one liners to say before going into a room?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2013
    ZEROibis wrote: »
    Does he get any unique one liners to say before going into a room?
    - When powering up a powernode
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    And here I was sure this thread was about the black marine we got for buying pre-alpha :P
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Feha wrote: »
    And here I was sure this thread was about the black marine we got for buying pre-alpha :P

EY I was all ready to slap a lock on it with my patented link to the black armour thread mon... But it appears we are in the presence of awesome!
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    yeah black marine armor was also first that came into mind when writing the title actually, but i could not called it THE EXCLUDED RACE really :P
    It would probably take UWE about 1 day to create an entire bundle of different appearances so i am surprised we still have an entire team of clones in marines team.
  • WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    +1 to make official.

Looks great.
  • sally_pantssally_pants Join Date: 2013-02-21 Member: 183241Members
    Great work! Would love to see this supported.
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    More custom stuff like that would add more life to the game, and that is what ns2 needs. Great stuff.
  • inveigleinveigle Join Date: 2004-01-07 Member: 25117Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    looks very good, i wish there was a way to have a variant so that some models would use this skin and others the original. Great work.
  • AichmanAichman Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22782Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, WC 2013 - Shadow
    It would be awesome to have a variant of models including height, but of course that would be trouble to have taller models getting into some rooms or even vents.
    That would cause hitbox inconsistencies and as such if you want an advantage you'd play with a smaller marine
    it would actually work inveigle if there was lets say 5 different textures for the face, that gets randomly generated or distrubuted among the team in the beginning of the game.
    instead of some people that have black armor or regular assigned it will do the same thing but for the face. Maby even have 5 to pick from in the main menu so you always can be your favorite character as a marine.
  • shriikeshriike Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184461Members
    One more step towards a fully custimizable marine. Awwww yeah can't wait.
  • Smug_LobsterSmug_Lobster Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67903Members
    now paint some makeup on there so we can have our first transgender marine. better cover all the bases.

well, except cisgender female. we can't have one of those
  • CabooseCaboose title = name(self, handle) Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13597Members, Constellation
    Personally, I'd love for the ability to have custom textures on a per-player basis, at least for the head, imagine tattoos or a marine with an eye patch.
    Back in the day, I used to play a lot of Tribes 1, and there was a pretty large skinning community for it. Many servers allowed custom skins, that all players could see.

I wonder if this is do-able with a server mod?
    Yes my friend tom drew on glasses straight on the texture so it looked like a racoon of some sort haha becouse it was litteraly on the skin, so if he would have a eye patch there needed to be an extra 3d model as overlay or else it would just end up looking like makeup :P thats still such a small tweak that if UWE spended cuple days doing customizations instead of balance for 6 people we could have tons of variations and tons of fun. Tattoos was a great example and it would definatly work especially on the marine armor that have exposed arms.
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    CDT notice!
    This should be a thing more skin customisations. The ability to change skin colour, the ability to change armour skin the ability to change the clothes under the armour, the ability to change armour model.

For example you should be avible to have a black girl marine with the assult marine clothes and the assult marine model armour. And have that armour with the kodiak skin. Or a white skin coloured marine with the deluxe armour model but with the black armour skin.
    Why you ask?
    To get more (you're own) marine, to get more freedom. Even if some combinations look bad it's still your own....
    To hard (with Programing and such) If so tell me! I wanna know!!!!
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I am not CDT, but that would be a lot of work. Afaik, different models is considerable work not mentioning the additional memory requirements. Skins themselves are less work, but still take time.

Hopefully this satisfies some your desires for customizations.
    https://trello.com/c/aunXNiyL/650-shadow-fade-and-onos-models
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Adding more player customization options is definitely on our radar.
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    Adding more player customization options is definitely on our radar.

Three words :angry:

Purple Fade Pants!

or orange as suggested by someone somewhere someplace...