Vanilla improving mods

BigRustyRedBigRustyRed Join Date: 2012-11-30 Member: 173786Members, Reinforced - Shadow
Hey,

I thought I would put down some notes on a few mods I have in mind to improve Natural Selection 2, both public and competitive play.

- None of these mods will affect the balance of the game in any way

- These mods are thought as an improvement on the current game, to make the experience more streamlined and smooth for the users

- Any suggestions or discussion is very welcome!

- These are all currently only in the "idea stage" and will change a lot and most of them require a lot of work and will take a long time, I will probably release smaller versions and continue to support the mods once I start development.

This list is not complete and I will edit this thread in the future:

*Custom keybinds*

I feel like a competitive game should have modifiable key bindings for everything:

- Rewrite the commander key bindings, currently the key mapping is hardcoded.
- put in keybinding options for things that I feel are missing them, such as the alien upgrade menu (selecting lifeform + upgrades), Armory purchases for marines etc..
- create an easy to use GUI for keybinding changes

*Commander streamlining*

I have been a competitive RTS player in Starcraft 1, Warcraft 3 and to some extent in Starcraft 2 and I see a lot of improvements that can be made for the commander.

- I have not fully realized the changes I want to make here, but I want to make the commander feel a lot "smoother" than it currently does, right now I feel the commander feels clunky and slow with high APM punished with lack of response from the engine, I´m not sure how much I can fix here but I will put features down here once I start working on this.

*Improved spectator system*

I have a lot of ideas on how to make an ingame replay system as well as improvements on the current spectator system we have.

- A replay system with the ability to view past recorded matches from any players perspective / spectator view as well as pause fast forward and back options.

- delayed spectator view, I have soooome ideas of how to implement this however I'm not sure if it will be possible, it would probably have to run on a seperate server from the live match witch could create a lot of problems, but if I can get this working it will mean aaaa lot smoother spectator experience both for overview viewing as well as accurate first person view.

- stats, stats stats, with games like Dota and starcraft giving a whole lot of real time statistics during a match I want to create something similar for the spectators

More to come, would love some feedback on my ideas !

Comments

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2013
    Key bindings already exist, with commander key binds. http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/131115/bindable-voice-overs-commander-keys-and-more#latest

You can really add anything you want as a key bind, but you are limited to a certain amount of keys on the keyboard. I suppose you could make it so either seperate binds per team or make them duplicates, like evolve gorge is also xxxx on marine team.

There already is a lot of stats in spectator mode. I forget what key is default for it, but mine is O, it brings up a GUI with a whole bunch of stats.

There is a record feature in the console and the ability to play recorded files I believe, but I don't think it works very well/is not very optimized for use, but could potentially be used for replays.

One thing that I think would be cool is if you could have the ability to have like 6 boxes of 6 different first person spectate on 6 players so you could see what most people on your team see.