Aliens big guns, what are they?

Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
Marines have arcs, gl’s and exo’s not to mention how many times I have soloed a hive as a dual rail gun exo myself. As a long standing game 3 hives vs 2 command stations what do aliens have as “big guns?” It used to be bile bomb but it’s been nerfed to high hell.

Back to my question, what do aliens have as a siege weapon?

Comments

• DimeinurearDimeinurear Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72955Members
    A ten-ton living tank called the "Onos."
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Not to forget the flying terror of marines, the fade. Oh, and, well... bilebomb. It's not that bad.
  • EucomolhamasEucomolhamas Join Date: 2013-03-10 Member: 183841Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Onos is way too weak now, I don't enjoy playing as it anymore ;<

But yeah, the fade with 50-4 stats every game is kinda awesome :D
  • KattcattisKattcattis Join Date: 2013-01-31 Member: 182683Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Then if they nerf the fade they have to make Onos better then what it is now. I don't enjoy playing onos either. Marines have no more fear of Onoses anymore, their health goes down in seconds... and that is when only ONE marine is chasing them
  • Enhance89Enhance89 Join Date: 2009-11-04 Member: 69261Members
    edited August 2013
    I wouldn't be opposed to the Onos getting a buff if Fade took a nerf. IMHO if Onos is going to cost the most res and have the most health it should be the most fearful alien lifeform. Right now, many are ignoring Onos because Fades are far more dangerous.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Agree^

Onos need more armour at the very least.

Since the buff to exo movement speed it's also pretty much impossible to go head-on with any exo with or without support.

A skilled onos used to be able to JUST about take down an unsupported dual exo, and usually lay waste to any number of railguns even with a couple of marines to help them, but now it's just futile even WITH celerity to close the gap, and the only way exos go down is through skulkpacks/lerkspikes, and only then before there are 3+ on the field to cover eachother with walls of very large, very hurty bullets.

The issue seems to be that a couple of fades are very nasty even with no upgrades, whereas an onos needs cara/cele to simply stay alive even in the most minimal situations.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I agree that the onos is to weak right now. But it is also a very boring class to play with a very low skill ceiling. A solution that solves both problems would be way better. It would give him a special role. A use.

I'm all for an implementation of "bone shield" that makes the onos invulnerable on the bone parts at his front.
    Invulnerability can be easily communicated to the players. (sparkes instead of blood and no hit-marker)
    There are enough fleshy spots even when you look at the front of an onos.
    It would require at least a little more skill from marines to hit those spots, instead of simply spraying at a house-sized alien.
    Introduces tactic and skill to the onos. Charge in and be very vulnerable or simply draw fire in a defense position as tank.
    Railguns could pierce the bone shield. Grenades and Flames counter it too.
    Introduces the role of a blocker to the onos.
  • bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
    Dont think he has to be invulnerable, just give him a nice damage reduction. With this and the diggest ability UWE is going to introduce in the new content patch onos will be feared again.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    I don't like a simple damage reduction. Because it is hard to communicate to the player that is shooting the target.

With a simple damage reduction on the front you also don't need a special handling for those spots without bones. (If you do, it would be even worse to communicate.) In a result this doesn't make it harder to aim at an onos.

Invul parts make it much more interesting than a simple damage reduction at the front.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    bERt0r wrote: »
    (..) and the diggest ability UWE is going to introduce in the new content patch onos will be feared again.

I will eat every meal until the date of the patch release in 1 gulp as celebration of & preparation for this glorious moment!

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    The way they did it in Alien Swarm, where the bullets ricochet of the armour on the front of that one bug could work to visually show you that you are not damaging or doing less damage
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    The way they did it in Alien Swarm, where the bullets ricochet of the armour on the front of that one bug could work to visually show you that you are not damaging or doing less damage

Exactly. The missing damage indicator and not appearing damage value would make it clear even to noobs.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    NO to digest.

YES to onos buffs
    Ok how is this:
    The Kharaa Wurm
    Looks something like this:
    Frost_Wurm.jpg
    (Thank you Guild Wars)
    -100 Pres.
    -Only 1 wurm can be alive at any given time.
    -Doesnt have normal hitpoints: the wurm shares and uses the combined HP of all active hives at the same time.
    -Dies in 15 seconds if not attached (shift) to a hive or connected gorgetunnel. Can grow from an attached point but only a short way, maybe the distance of 1 extra medium sized room.
    -Main attack is 'Eat', 100hp (?) damage in rapid hits.
    -2nd is 'Dig': the wurm slowly digs thru a wall to attack marines or marine bases on the other side.
    -Aliens can use the Wurm's mouth as a tunnel into the 'digged' area. They enter at the connected hive or tunnel.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Make Onos 2x slower give him 3x more HP. Yes? :P I like the whole tank idea.

But seriously, PITY UPON THY BILEBOMB, please buff it back to atleast a fraction of its former glory. Bilebomb is pathetic nowdays. Arcs laught at silly gorges, 2 gorges reaching your main base to bilebomb is no longer a catastrophe and the only units that fear bilebomb are sentries and MACs. Just sawd. :(
  • GeekavengerGeekavenger Join Date: 2012-08-31 Member: 157117Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Make Onos 2x slower give him 3x more HP. Yes? :P I like the whole tank idea.:(

I like this Idea a lot. Right now the Onos doesn't have the same "Forcing a Fight" effect it used to. An Onos hitting the Power used to always force a beacon, now 2 or 3 marines phase back and force him to run. Something to make them more intimidating. I like Slow and Lots of Life, it is a good opposite to fade. The problem would be creating that "Onos Count Down" like a while ago, where once the aliens get 2 or 3 Onos the game is over regardless, since they can collectively deal enough damage before they die to drop any Comm Station. Maybe reduce their damage to structures... to compensate. Or a Temporary Armor Buff that slows them down would also work instead of a generic buff.

Another option would be to make the Gore have a wider area of effect. Right now, Pre Stomp, marines don't have to worry that much about spreading out, an Onos has to chase down just about every marine individually. If you widen out the cone and maybe push the range a little farther the Onos gets a lot scarier.

Again I feel like the effect of an Onos should be Similar to ARCs or Exos when scouted. It should force a Response, be it direct or indirect. Slowing the Onos down lets Indirect responses be more viable.
  • bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
    _Necro_ wrote: »
    Kouji_San wrote: »

Exactly. The missing damage indicator and not appearing damage value would make it clear even to noobs.

You are right, i forgot about the dmg indicator. Without it noobs would have no idea why that rhino wont die. Was that way in ns1 when the onos hitbox was way smaller than the model and people shot hmg magazines in it without doing dmg.

@CCTEE, sadly i was just trolling :( would love to see it back though.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I remember a really slow really high health onos in the beta. It didn't stick around long.
  • joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
    A marine can pretty much outrun a non cele onos already.. and you want it slower? Lol. Onos needs double the armor, or the lmg should deal light damage.
    edited August 2013
    bERt0r wrote: »
    sadly i was just trolling :( would love to see it back though.
    FU bERt0r for ruining dinner for me!

But you all still talking about onos, been there, done that.
    What about the WURM!!
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I stand by the idea that Exo mini gun damage needs to be changed to 25 Normal from 25 Heavy (thats a 1:2 dmg/armor ratio down from 1:1, for those who don't know)

This will let the Onos survive long enough to actually do something about Exos.

And in stead of making Onos BIGGER lets make it FASTER. Let people maneuver with Charge (slightly) and buff his speed a bit, while keeping his armor values the same and making Exo Damage normal.

Could be a fun Onos to play, maneuverable and hard hitting, and requires energy management to go fast
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    Onos is a little weak at the moment, but this is known. Bile bomb is always going to be the main alien anti-structure/armor tool, and given how cheap gorges are it's not strategically high risk even if it's a suicide attack tactically. Always remember that Umbra is extremely powerful and that a late-game attack on a marine base that doesn't use it is going to be very weak in comparison.

The message is basically that a late-game alien attack is about combined arms and everyone using the correct abilities in concert rather than rallying around a "battering ram" style unit/building. The Onos being weak in these late-game siege scenarios doesn't help, obviously, but like I said it's a known balance issue.
  • hub3rtu2hub3rtu2 Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165478Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    Group of skulks with a gorge and a drifter buff is a cheap way for high focused DPS, unless they have defensive GL spammers or a couple of exos or even a good JPer in which case attack the other base, oh wait, they don't need another one, so yeah...

Faster onos? Drifter speed buff again.

Directional damage to onos is the best idea right now, like a tank. Though with the lag and hitreg it may be quite annoying to "master" and use.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    why not make stomp a splash damage attack instead.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    Give the onos a charge attack that gives him 2x armor absorption but he cannot attack during this time. It would last ~5 seconds and use all his adrenaline.
  • PimpToadPimpToad Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166005Members
    We need pigs attached to Lerks for dive bombing purposes. Make it happen UWE.
  • joohoo_n3djoohoo_n3d Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164703Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited August 2013
    Know pain wrote: »
    Marines have arcs, gl’s and exo’s not to mention how many times I have soloed a hive as a dual rail gun exo myself.

Back to my question, what do aliens have as a siege weapon?
    dual railgun exo huh?
    aliens dont have seige because they are different.
    if aliens had a siege weapon then why not have marine vs marine?
    the point is that the teams are different - "asymmetrical".
    besides, with all flexibility that aliens have they can all but move the hive to just outside the marine start and then fun times=alien win!

that said, some games i wish aliens could bite or spit through walls but most the time i'm glad we dont because then we would be like the marines...and the marines suck.

ps. the biggest problem with onos i see in pub games is that too many players think they should be able to tank in and win the game. sorry but thats not what the onos is about. its about intimidation and brute force and supporting the skulk gorge fade and lerk.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Aliens do have a siege weapon, its called a matured whip. Those bad boys do a ton of damage when hurling the projectiles, and have a really long range. The only down side is it must be echoed on infestation.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    3 man bile will almost always take down a structure. that's pretty powerful