Steep learning curve

Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
edited August 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
Hi guys
Just thought I would share some thoughts on the often quoted "steep learning curve" of NS(2).

Alot has been written about how hard it is to learn the game initially as a rookie, and suggestions of tutorials, videos etc... are great. But I think there is one fundamental question no one has really looked at: player expectation. I think the upfront expectation of most new players is this is a FPS/RTS hydrid; a shooter with some real time strategy mixed in.

when in fact it should be seen as a RTS/FPS hydrid. The respective comms are using their team as pieces in an RTS, that is played out as an FPS for those players. The FPS part gets the focus because it is what people are familiar with and it is how most of the players play (1 comm on each team play the RTS part). But in fact, you are asking the FPS players to play the part of the SCV (to borrow a Starcraft term) for building, and asking them to play the role of a marine (or zergling) to hold map control as well.

I think there hasn't been enough emphasis to the new players on the RTS aspect of the game; why is getting that res node up more beneficial to the team than hunting down that wounded skulk. Tutorials have been done to teach people how to play the game, and its many many mechanics (both sides, comm and foot soldier), but there hasn't really been tutorials (that I have seen - please prove me wrong), where we take a rookie marine or skulk on the ground through the thought process of a comm. We are teaching tactics of how to play as a marine team or an Kharaa team, but not so much on strategies of why things were done (the ENSL vids from Reddog sort of does this, but it is at an elite level, and is beyond the skill of most starting players). The Comm videos are great for getting the budding comm interested and teaches them more in-depth strategies, but it doesn't really address the rookie (it assumes you have had experience playing the game for a bit).

The suggestion of a tutorial level is really good (many threads), where you are taken by the hand and walked through the various aspects of the game like build an arms lab to get upgrades, so rookies can see how their actions in game affect the RTS part of the game. The Wiki is a good first port of call for rookies, and I think there hasn't been enough spotlight on it from the Devs to say "go there for more info".

And your thoughts?

This is an EDIT:
Here are my thoughts on a tutorial level script:

1. Marine start with CC [popup text] This is marine start, it is where you initially spawn when the round starts. The structure next to you is a Command Chair, it is where your commander will direct your team to kill the Kharaa Hive...
2. IP blue print drops [popup text] An Infantry Portal has been dropped, use your "E" key on the blue print to build it. The IP will spawn marines that are killed.
3. Blueprint of Res node dropped [Command of "goto way point"]
4. [Popup text] These are resource nodes, your commander has dropped a resource tower on it, this allows your team to gather resources both for your team (for buildings, upgrades), and also your personal resources for purchasing of more advance weapons from an Armory.
5. Armory blueprint dropped [popup text] An armory is used to heal a marine when they are wounded, you can also purchase more advance weapons from the armory once the commander has researched it. For now you can only buy a welder.
6. [popup text] buy a welder from the armory
7. (script event), a marine runs in with damaged armor, [popup text] the armory will heal wounds, but can not repair armor, get your welder out by pressing "3" and weld the marine's armor by pressing the left mouse.
ETC...
You get the idea.
PS. if anyone wants to work on a script together and release it to the great talent of the modding community to make a level, let me know.

Comments

• patpat Join Date: 2013-06-15 Member: 185569Members
    if u can't shoot skulks ur not really gonna contribute to your team
  • SoundFXSoundFX Join Date: 2003-08-21 Member: 20048Members
    pat wrote: »
    if u can't shoot skulks ur not really gonna contribute to your team

In a general sense yes this is correct. But there are times when certain events take priority over all others, as veterans we know this, but as rookies we will not. The sheer presence of a player, whether a good shot or not, is usually enough to deter aliens from making moves. If anything they are an early warning system.

I'm not sure an entire level needs to be devoted to this but a decent video with mashed together instances of phase or stay, weld or kill, chase or hold, what do I target first, positioning, common emergency exits, etc. The key here is WHY do we make these choices that are inherently obvious to us as 'veterans' to the game. You can't just say "hey do, this 'cause I tell you to" because there is no understanding in that.

In short, I think you are correct to bring more attention to the RTS.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    Tutorials have been done to teach people how to play the game, and its many many mechanics (both sides, comm and foot soldier), but there hasn't really been tutorials (that I have seen - please prove me wrong), where we take a rookie marine or skulk on the ground through the thought process of a comm.
    I shall prove you wrong!

• Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    :)) I am happy to be proven wrong for this Tycho, you make really cool vids. Thanks man.

Just watched the Vid. It is good, but still not what I had in mind, I was thinking of something that is even more basic and hand holding. Because generally speaking, your average (I loath to use this word) FPS fan, just isn't use to the idea of building buildings for upgrades and holding territory for res (the typical shooter these days don't have these elements). And they are hidden away to some extent in NS as well (only the Comm see it). Even for something as simple as the game description of how the rounds are played out, it is described in FPS terms (action orientated, and it is focused on the action when I see promo vids etc...). I really like to put NS in the thinking man person's FPS basket.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    Well, that's what all the other videos in my tutorial series are about. Anyone who watches those will know what's up.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Tycho
    Sorry, I didn't look at all the other vids (I might have seen a few awhile ago). As I am a NS1 player, I didn't really need the heads up on most of the mechanics. But, will check them out (is there a sticky on tutorial vids on the general thread?). Because You and Its SuperEffective, and NS Uni, should definitely be featured (and others I probably didn't mention). Though I like shorter vids (say 5 - 7 minutes), its just a preference for me, get an idea of whats going on and go play get pub stomped ;)