Tutorial Video Changes

Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
I really don't want to sound like a broken record here. This is the third time I've made a topic addressing the same issue, but nothing has been done and I'm not really sure what else I can do at this point.

Once UWE announced that build 250 was going to be ported into the game, I made a topic raising concerns about the tutorial videos. I pointed out that they would become extremely outdated once the new build was released. At this point I was assured by Hugh that the video tutorial system would be revamped in the weeks leading up to the release of build 250. It never was. Because no changes were made, I made a second thread at the release of build 250, where I pointed out that the in-game tutorial videos, along with a number of explore mode descriptions and commander tooltips, were now outdated and inaccurate. And nothing was done.

Frankly, I don't know how else to say this. NS2 has a serious player retention problem. An extremely small percentage of the people who have purchased it play it regularly. I think that one of the foremost causes of this issue is the fact that it's so hard for new players to learn the game. The game has a steep enough learning curve as it is and the developers presenting new players with misinformation only further complicates the problem. The last two sales didn't retain a significant population of new players and I wouldn't be surprised if the summer sale doesn't either.

Anyway, this is the last time I'm going to bring this up because I don't want to be too much of a squeaky wheel. Hopefully UWE has heard my concerns, and it's now up to them whether they want to take them into account. I do hope that they choose to make these updates by the time the next big content update hits in September.

My suggestions for better in-game videos, in the off chance UWE decides to upload new content, would be:
TychoCelchuuu's NS2 Tutorial Videos - I have a soft spot for these as they are the videos that I learned from. Much more informative than the current videos and presented in a manner that is easier to swallow. They also include a new video summing up the changes that came in 250.
It's Super Effective's Tactical Operations Series - Extremely in depth, informative, very high production values, and updated with a new video explaining the 250 changes.
Soz's NS2 University - as of now just one video, with more on the way. Extremely impressed with this, covers all of the fundamentals accurately and in a manner that makes it easy to grasp for a newer player. Made in build 250, so no problems with outdated mechanics here.

Comments

• current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    I couldn't agree with you more. I have mentioned every one of these videos in the internal chat for play/maptesters/mappers/devs/whatever for what that's worth. I hope to see them in the game too :).
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I wholeheartedly agree. Having spent quite a lot of time teaching greenies, I must admit that more recently I have become less inclined to do so. The videos you linked are fantastic examples of what dedicated members of our community can do in their spare time, and at the very least should serve as a guide/basis for official videos. I think it's more important to have something helpful in NOW than it is to have something more official/professional in 3+ months...
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    The in in game videos that pop up in newbie mode? I dunno man, me and "aliens guy" are still pissed they removed double jump, make us look like fools will ya UWE. There will be a reckoning D:

Them videos rock much boats in any case!
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    yea this is something that would help all new players :)
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    this is called shooting yourself in the foot UWE.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Not really, the tutorials were bad and outdated way before 250.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Jekt wrote: »
    Not really, the tutorials were bad and outdated way before 250.

They were, but it's far worse now
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Great, that's all I needed to know :D

And good pick with ISE, he explains things so well
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
  • feldsparfeldspar Join Date: 2013-07-25 Member: 186385Members
    These links on updated vids was exactly what I was looking for, thank you. :D

-very green newbie
    feldspar wrote: »
    These links on updated vids was exactly what I was looking for, thank you. :D

-very green newbie

Hey, I hope you enjoy them. Those guys know what they're talking about for sure