Questions for the Wiki

Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
Hi guys,

I am updating the Wiki, and would like to put as much accurate information in there as possible (ofcourse). Could someone with more knowledge in the game please answer the following:

Q1: As of Build 250, if my Crag hive is killed, does my Crag upgrades still work if the shells are up?

Q2: If the upgrade structure (shells, spurs, veil) is killed, does Lifeforms that are alive keep the upgrades until they die, or does it just stop working?

Thanks

Comments

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2013
    Q1 once the crag hive is killed you lose the biomass from that hive, so yeah you would lose the upgrades and the shells don't have a use.
    Q2 they stop working, as in the top left screen you see icons for the upgrades, 3 total. You will see those go away when the upgrades are killed. Meaning they stop working.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2013
    Thanks SamusDroid, that answered my next question.
    What I meant for Q1 (not asked very well), is If Crag hive is killed, but my shells are still up (at a different location say), and my skulk got Cara before the Crag hive went down, will my Cara still work until I die? I assume no new lifeforms can evolve Cara or Regen as the Crag hive is dead.

Just to clarify some terms I use as well, I avoid saying upgrade for Kharaa as it could mean Biomass/Ability/Trait, so I use the following:

Trait : Cara , Regen, Aura etc...
    Ability: Leap, Gorge Tunnel, Bile Bomb etc...

Sorry to be so pedantic.
    Thanks.
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    From what i understand it is like this:

As long as your chambers are up (shell, veil, spur), no matter what hives are killed, you retain your upgrades (regen, aura, adren, ect), and retain the ability to evolve or purchase those "traits". The things you lose by the loss of a hive is the drifters ability associated with that hive, the ability to drop new chambers, and bio mass tied to abilities.

If chambers are killed you do lose the level they gave. Once all are killed you do lose the trait all together.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Yeah I'm pretty sure that upgrade chambers work independently from hives after they've been placed. Once they're down nothing else matters.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Pretty sure you the upgrade drop levels on any aliens using it without having them die and reevolve also.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Thanks Guys. It is insanely hard to write up stuff when you want it exactly right. Starting a single player game via cheats 1 is good, but takes me ages to get things built, and I can only test things when I remember (also cuts in what little playing time I have). Anyone know what the fast build command is once you put cheats 1 on??
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    Thanks Guys. It is insanely hard to write up stuff when you want it exactly right. Starting a single player game via cheats 1 is good, but takes me ages to get things built, and I can only test things when I remember (also cuts in what little playing time I have). Anyone know what the fast build command is once you put cheats 1 on??

autobuild
    From: http://wiki.unknownworlds.com/index.php/Console_Commands#Gameplay_Cheats
    Note: needs cheats to to enabled

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2013
    Zaggy wrote: »

autobuild
    From: http://wiki.unknownworlds.com/index.php/Console_Commands#Gameplay_Cheats
    Note: needs cheats to to enabled

Now if you are REALLY in a hurry you can crank the speed up using speed followed by a number ;)
    That's a really useful page though, lots of useful commands.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Q1: Yes, as long as the shells are still alive you will still get cara/regen, even if the crag hive is down. You do lose the mucous membrane and heal wave ability for drifter and crag respectively. Tip: when you lose your crag hive but still have all three shells up somewhere else, it's a good idea to not drop the crag hive again but go for a different one, so you can have all three kinds of upgrades on just two hives. :)

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Neoken wrote: »
    it's a good idea to not drop the crag hive again but go for a different one, so you can have all three kinds of upgrades on just two hives. :)

That depends on how much you value the increased healing from crags and the mucus membrane from drifters.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Thanks Cannon and everyone, I've clarified in-game and summarized the findings in wiki page ;)
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Currently:

1/2. Upgrades, from upgrade chambers (shells, spurs, veils) are tied directly to the living chambers. If all three chambers die you will not have the upgrade. Their function is not tied to the living hive.
    However, say you are a fade with regeneration. If you lose your upgrade chambers,
    your regeneration effect will not occur. But, if another shell is dropped, will you have
    to pay 5 more res to re-take the upgrade? I never tested this yet.

Abilities (Leap, Shadowstep, umbra), however, are "learned" permanently, until death.
    @PsiWarp
    That looks amazing. Much better than my effort when I started making edits. Very nice.