Video Tutorial: 3ds max model into spark editor

QwiXXeRQwiXXeR Join Date: 2004-11-05 Member: 32640Members
edited July 2013 in Mapping
Hey everyone

So having struggles on end to get a model into the editor and then eventually getting my head around it, I thought I would make a little video tutorial on how to get a very basic model, from 3ds Max into the spark editor as just an Albedo textured Prop.

Now TBH the main things you need to know really are.

1. UVUnwrap your object!
2. Save the texture file as .PSD in your modelsrc folder (Plus make your normal/specular maps etc as needed and save as .psd)(Preferable all from your UV Unwrap texture)
3. Use the latest OpenCOLLADA plugin to export your .DAE model (Get the 32 Bit one)
4. EDIT THE .DAE to change the init from tag from "./YourModelsTextureName.pds" to just "YourModelsTextureName.pds"
5. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE DONE STEP 4 AND SPELT IT CORRECTLY
6. make your .model_compile and .material file as outlined by Brian/TheForums/Wiki etc.
7. Run builder and profit.

Wiki Link for material file

But I made a video in case anyone wants a run through. Hopefully it will inspire others to to some other videos, maybe a guide to lighting ?, or making a dynamic prop or cinematic ?, Or just cool ways to generate props/textures for NS2 ?

Comments

• Rudy.czRudy.cz Join Date: 2012-02-13 Member: 145410Members
    Perfect, so the Collada works also with other version of Max than 2009?
  • QwiXXeRQwiXXeR Join Date: 2004-11-05 Member: 32640Members
    I could not use the version of openCOLLADA that comes with NS2 in the NS2 folder.
    The new versions of OpenCOLLADA works with the later versions of max, but you have to use the 32bit version, regadless of your windows. and then edit the .DAE afterwards to correct the <init from> tags.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2013
    Rudy.cz wrote: »
    Perfect, so the Collada works also with other version of Max than 2009?
    Mine works in 2012 and my recent upgrade to 2013 to follow my upgrade to Autodesk Inventor, which lead to Maya ( everything gotta be cross software compatible :D ) which means everything needs to be on the same version year. Been mostly successfully importing stuff into editor for brainstorming purposes ( been itching to make a map but don't know what to do) been looking for things to do but nothing has really got much past planning stages. Even managed to get an NS1 map into editor ( man that was not easy...)

• WhiteDevilWhiteDevil Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2013
    I also have exported models from Max 2012 with newer openCOLLADA. Worked just fine without much hassle.

There was a problem though, which resulted my models being much smaller than they should. It turned out that my models were translated from metric units to imperial units (from 1 mm -> 1 inch)... and my Max options said I was using generic units. After changing Max into using imperial units my models came out the right size after that.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Is there any chance to export models without OpenCollada to NS2? Because it can't be installed when you are running 3ds 2015.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Surely max 2015 has a collada export option.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    It has, but only AutodeskCollada. When I export to AutodeskCollada, the builder tool builds a model that seems to be invisible. In the viewer you see nothing; in the editor the thumbnail is black and the model is invisible too.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    It has, but only AutodeskCollada. When I export to AutodeskCollada, the builder tool builds a model that seems to be invisible. In the viewer you see nothing; in the editor the thumbnail is black and the model is invisible too.

Oh dear, hmm. I suppose you could export it to an .obj, import it into blender, and export it from blender.
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    open collada doesn't work properly in any version of 3ds max. you'll experience all sorts of issues and no collision meshes toboot. Just download 2009 32bit trail. export to obj from your desired 3d program and using the proper plugin. no other way is satisfactory im afraid
    Okay thanks, I will try it.