The Wiki could do with some Lovin'

Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
Hi guys

With all the changes 250 brought in, I find there are a number of great how to's and explanations on the forum (youtube video, guides etc..). But I believe for the average rookie, searching through the forum for that piece of info is a bit too much (not to mention the amount of stuff you have to trawl through to get the useful stuff). The wiki has been there since the beginning, and has definitely not received much love since 209. I plan to update it with more current information, over time (when I can). But I don't have much time to play and get all the changed stats and numbers. If anyone has real numbers on the changes, could they please PM me or post on the forums. I have seen some posts on a few things eg. biomass effect on health / Alien Life form, cost of teching up, and my excellent tech tree forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/130919/alien-tech-tree-very-rough#latest ;-).

I need to fit this editing in with what little playing time (sigh* children and all) I get, so it will be slow going. If I post stupid questions on a specific topic, please don't flame me, as I just want to know raw numbers to put on the wiki, and add some explanation notes for the rookies.

Comments

• MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited July 2013
    Gotta admit tho, UWE is very active with changes, so it's no wonder nobody can be arsed to update the wiki all the time.

Great if you can be bothered to do something about it. I'd be pretty damn frustrated starting this game as a new player, if I wanted to get some info before going in-game. Then again, I'd prolly just go in-game anyway... Even if clueless people are annoying, it's the fastest way to learn. We do have rookie servers, anyways.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2013
    Agreed. It would be nice for it to be more up to date on gameplay stuff. It's also too bad the game still doesn't have much documentation this late after people started modding. It would be a pain to keep updated though, seeing as it changes monthly.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yes, I generally agree with you, the best way to learn is to play. But sometimes, it helps when you have some idea about tech (and that's marines). There is nothing logical about Aliens unless you played NS1 or invested some time in NS2 already. There are other idiosyncrasies of this game that isn't immediately logical. Also, newer players don't have the first idea about being a comm, and jump in the chair to learn, only to be shouted down by players that expect a certain level of performance is no fun, so having a guide to go to is a big help. Like you said, your best way to learn is by playing, but that assumes other players will slow their game to teach - no always the way.

Whilst I think the number of video tutes, and Hugh's videos are a great help, it will reinforce learning if they read about it before hand. I will go at the wiki, as I see other games have much better wikis out there and I don't see why NS2 can't have at least a more decent one.
  • Metal ManMetal Man Join Date: 2011-11-13 Member: 132717Members
    edited July 2013
    Nowadays an in-depth, constantly updated wiki is analogous to a game's success. I am not even joking when I say the lack of an adequate wiki foreshadows the death of this game.

You go to a wiki to broaden your technical sense of a game. To increase your overall knowledge in an attempt to master the game.
    Simultaneously a wiki is created by a devout and earnest community. People who enjoy the game so much they wish to understand it in its entirety. Nobody cares enough to make or read up on a wiki for this haze of a game. But I'm not saying this game is dead. It just needs more direction.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Good to have you on board! I've been juggling between life and university, so couldn't update the wiki as frequently as during the beta days (or as much as I would've liked ;) )

The wiki community definitely needs to expand to keep up with patch changes. 2 brains are better than 1!!